Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-20-2016, 09:21 PM   #1
Kittykat
Forum Regular

Default Colin Kyo Chanter

So I've been struggling with my fingering, bad grips, pathetic d-throws, shocking birls and just generally bad playing to the point where I thought, what am I doing all this for.

After reading some of the comments on this forum, I decided to add a Colin Kyo Chanter to my growing stock (McCallum, Shepherd and Hardie) in the slim hope that there would be some improvement - otherwise the whole lot would go to a good home.

I was amazed at the difference in my playing instantly... boy those grips sound amazing, no bad notes where my fingers only half covered the holes, no (to my ear anyway) crossing noises and just the pure sound of clean playing!!!

The spacing of the holes on this chanter suit my short little fingers perfectly and with that, my confidence - I CAN play and get an amazing Low G!!
Old 09-21-2016, 02:09 AM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Colin Kyo Chanter

Obviously instrument does help, but given how long you've been working on it I'd suspect your hand position isn't working for you. When a finger goes down to the chanter it should just be falling and landing on the hole, not being placed as such.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:49 AM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I too notice a difference in my playing going between the Colin Kyo chanter and some other chanters. I'm glad you found it!
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:56 AM   #4
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes, I don't know how Murray does it, but his chanter is a dream to play.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
RichmondPiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Obviously instrument does help, but given how long you've been working on it I'd suspect your hand position isn't working for you. When a finger goes down to the chanter it should just be falling and landing on the hole, not being placed as such.
I have a Kyo chanter that I really like the feel of. Sometimes I am not sure about the projection but that is a separate discussion as it seems quite reed dependant. They have a great feel and are very true up the scale.

A while back I changed my bag and just became unable to play as I knew I could - my hands were sore after playing, i didn't seem to be able to hold the chanter (including the Kyo) properly, use the bottom hand effectively and things reached the point where I was seriously thinking if giving up - after more than 50 years of playing.

And then for an unrelated reason I replaced my current bag with an old one that I had played a few years back and the difference was like magic. Everything was as it should be, the playing much better and comfort perfect. And I reach the holes on all my chanters etc.

So, the lesson is,if you are battling, look at everything, not just the obvious.
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:16 PM   #6
Doug Walton
Forum Gold Medal

I may just have to go get one. Been massively loving my McM2 lately, but who knows...
Doug Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #7
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

Work on your technique with a good instructor and you will be able to play any chanter.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:25 AM   #8
Doug Walton
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
Work on your technique with a good instructor and you will be able to play any chanter.
Doug Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:43 AM   #9
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
True, but not all chanters are created equal. There is something special about Murray's chanters and pipes.