Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-05-2020, 04:45 AM   #1
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default St. Patrick's Day NYC

Plans are well in train for a trip to NYC, to play in the parade.

My usual setup is Cocobolo MacLellans on a hide bag and a moose trap. Kinnard reeds in the drones and Chesney reed in the chanter

Any tips or suggestions on set up? I`m expecting to play quite a bit. Would a second set of reeds be a good idea?

Paul.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:13 AM   #2
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: St. Patrick`s Day NYC

Paul, I ALWAYS have a spare set of played-in reeds on my person anytime I'm playing. I am almost always solo, so can't afford to drop out with a reed fail. If I'm wearing a doublet and plaid, the reeds are organized in the pleats of the plaid
Old 01-05-2020, 06:12 AM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

..a set of acetyl pipes.....2 sets of reeds...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #4
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Good Afternoon (Over Here :), Paul,

Having by now played almost innumerable Saint
Patrick's Day engagements over here... in North
America... and in all sorts and kinds... of weather
and temperatures... hot to freezing!!... bone dry
to pouring rain!!... my pipes and set up is always
the same.

My pipes are either my 1908 Cocuswood or 1916
ABWs... depending upon where I am to play...
and both with my early 50s ABW chanter from Bob
Hardie.

But for the drone reeds... now going on these Donkey's
Years... it's always the same... and for both!! :)

Drum Roll.. Please!! The Old Original Green Kinnairds!!,
and none other!! :)

When their first model was then being superseded... I
managed (here on our lovely Forum) to acquire some
used sets... and I have had them "standing ready" ever
since... but... I have yet... because of any failure... had
to call any... to action!!

I have... Time to Time... rotated the sets... on a whim...
but I have never had one to fail... or slide off into some
sort of... tone/pitch/volume decline... or variation... and
the present sets have now been in their respective pipes
for the better part... of the last two years!! :)

Now I do... keep a spare set in my case... and I do rotate
that one... Time to Time... but none have had to be called
in to use... (Let us pray. :)

And, I am aware that many now carry "back ups" for their
"back ups"... and perhaps such is prudent... but I fell into
The Game... when all we had was cane drone reeds... and
somebody in the mob might have a bit of hemp... and a
spare chanter reed in their sporran... and we were all
expected... and trained... to "make do"... with what we had...
and with what ever... happened to come along...

Trusting that you shall have a grand time of it in playing
your pipes in New York!!... and shall have nary a bollix...
while you are there!! :)

Regards, and Best Wishes!!,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 01-05-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:17 PM   #5
DapperDan
Forum Regular

Hi Paul,

I would say it might be a bit colder here, possibly below freezing, in March. It's hard to predict, sometimes it's mild, sometimes it's quite cold. If you're used to that, then you should be fine. But if you're worried about excess condensation, maybe fix a tube to the back of the bag? I play a sheep bag, and use a split stock with a vinyl tube. In cold parades I pour off a good amount of water. That or you might just have to pour off the moose valve more often.

Good luck, you'll have a blast!
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:52 AM   #6
magsevenband
Forum Clasp

Plan for your Pipes to have 2 out of 3 drones shut down by the halfway mark..moisture on the drone reeds will overwhelm..even the best setups I have seen this happen to..it's cold and windy in New York City during March and sometimes wet..snow possible as well..once in a while we get a good day..dress in layers..depending on where your band is in the parade you could be standing around for hours on a cold and shady side street waiting to step off while hearing lots of Pipe bands with mind numbingly ghastly intonation..all part of the charm.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:17 AM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post
Plan for your Pipes to have 2 out of 3 drones shut down by the halfway mark..moisture on the drone reeds will overwhelm..even the best setups I have seen this happen to..it's cold and windy in New York City during March and sometimes wet..snow possible as well..once in a while we get a good day..dress in layers..depending on where your band is in the parade you could be standing around for hours on a cold and shady side street waiting to step off while hearing lots of Pipe bands with mind numbingly ghastly intonation..all part of the charm.
...and wear a Sporran large enough to carry 4-5 of the layers after the parade while pub hopping....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:16 AM   #8
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks guys,

Bob I usually have spare reeds, ready to go about my person, is there the opportunity to swap reeds during the parade?

The Weather in Ireland can swing widely on St. Patrick`s Day, from snow to warm sunshine also. So layers and Wristies with hand warmers are the standard equipment.

I think it will depend on where the Grand Marshall is in the parade, the band have said that they need to be there early.

I do have a set of Dunbar poly pipes but I won`t be using them. I`ll play my regular pipes, I think that they and I have traveled far and wide together and survived to tell (some) tales. Also I`ve seen many many people struggle with "beater" or borrowed pipes because the were afraid to use their own pipes. My philosophy is they are your pipes, their story is your story.

Regards

Paul
Old 01-10-2020, 12:13 PM   #9
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M Burke View Post
Thanks guys,

Bob I usually have spare reeds, ready to go about my person, is there the opportunity to swap reeds during the parade?
Paul
I've not marched that parade, though I have marched the NYC Tartan Day parade twice, once with Lyon College, once solo. Given that you'll be playing with a band, and that most parades have stops periodically ( sometimes unexpectedly) you may well have an opportunity to swap reeds. I marched in Boston's St Patrick's Day/Evacuation Day parade once solo, as the "Band" for the Gas Pipefitters' Union who were on strike. It was cold and raw and sleeted off and on. I did have to swap out one synthetic drone reed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M Burke View Post
The Weather in Ireland can swing widely on St. Patrick`s Day, from snow to warm sunshine also. So layers and Wristies with hand warmers are the standard equipment.
It's the same here in the Boston area. I've played in snow and sleet in March and April and in 70˚ F . I have a funeral to play tomorrow and it 's supposed to be around 60˚F

SNIP

Paul[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Klondike Waldo; 01-10-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Klondike Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:07 AM   #10
piper Q
Forum Gold Medal

As stated the weather in NYC or Boston can be extreme. So wrist overs and warmers are quite helpful. Have the rain cape handy as well. Go with your most functional set up, your bomb proof reed combination, and you should be OK.

Coming out of Grand Central Station, Most bands will be forming up on the side streets of 5th Avenue. As the corrals get tight and there is a heavy push of people (Almost like a rugby scrum of Thousands) you may have some problems finding your appointed place to line up.

I am reluctant to name the, or maybe now former, Piper publicly even on this small forum, however the lead piper for the NYC parade, is/was also the piper for the 96th Infantry NYNG (165th Infantry US Federal designation) probably has some of the most experience. He generally wears a full tunic with fly plaid. Yet Joe did state it is quite the challenge as the lead due to pace of march and no stopping. Latter segments will be paused to allow cross traffic t proceed.

Due to circumstances, I've not been to NYC for St. Patrick's Day over a decade now, Residing in the Piping Wastelands of the deep South where its an extended Mardi Gras/ Carnival Season Parade. I'll take the action in NYC however as they have better pubs.