Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #21
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Predictions for the Next Decade

Trews will replace kilts....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #22
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Trews will replace kilts....

I hope not! Girls/Ladies already look like a "School Bus with a Lumpy Front End" in KILTS.

Tight fitting trews are a bit like Spandex and most of us women shouldn't be wearing them!

Jenni
Old 01-13-2020, 10:13 AM   #23
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumr66 View Post
On another note...can anyone please explain to this simple drummer WHY tuning has risen/will continue to rise?
The shortest-possible-version: psychoacoustics. The brain tends to perceive the higher, less-harmonically-complex chanter sound as "brighter" and "clearer." As long as bands keep getting rewarded for it, they'll keeping doing it.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #24
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Sanderson View Post
The pitch of bands will continue to rise.
By 2028, all pipe band competitions will be judged by dogs, as they will be the only species able to hear them.
Amen. Somewhere on my bucket list is the idea of taking a pipe band onto the field with the chanters well-tuned at 466, and the drums pitched to match.

The Great Pitch Chase will never end until judges stop rewarding it.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:28 AM   #25
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

About pitch rise, that's also demonstrated Punctuated Equilibrium.

For a student yesterday, without prior explanation, I played the same short tune on two different sets back to back:

1) at Concert Pitch, 466

2) at modern competition pitch, around 484

and asked her for her impressions of the sound of the two sets.

She said the 2nd set was louder and sharper, and the 1st set had a richer tone (it does).

One thing I wanted her to know what that for, what, a quarter-century the standard bagpipe pitch was around 466, then there was a decade or so of rapid pitch rise, then around 20 years ago the pitch settled around 480.

During the period of rapid pitch rise bands were all over the place, Massed Bands sounded unspeakably horrendous (a band at 466 might be beside a band at 476) and the makers weren't keeping up with the speed of the pitch rise: it was a time when a band would get a set of the sharpest chanters they could find, then carve out all the holes from round to big ovals to get the pitch sharper yet. (I still have a Warnock band chanter from the 1990s like that.)

Some of you are saying we're due for another decade of rapid pitch rise, of wild chanter-carving. Sure it could happen! One could say we're due. Personally I don't see it happening.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #26
SPCsound
Forum Member

re: pitch rising...

Some band just needs to truly commit to this and switch to biniou kozh chanters...
SPCsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:25 PM   #27
DapperDan
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post
Amen. Somewhere on my bucket list is the idea of taking a pipe band onto the field with the chanters well-tuned at 466, and the drums pitched to match.

The Great Pitch Chase will never end until judges stop rewarding it.
Would be interesting if someone held a sanctioned Bb contest. All bands participating would have to be pitching around 466 (allowances made for heat, etc., but be in the ballpark). I bet it would sound great.

I also think it would be interesting if an open grade solo contest was held in a similar way. Maybe sort of an "old-timers game," where pipers who won contests years ago would be invited to play, and encouraged to use vintage chanters and pipes.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:14 AM   #28
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

As to my point about the inevitable change in Pipe Band dress, here's a March Past in Scotland in 1969.

The bands are dressed how civilian pipe bands had been dressing for a century.

Who would have guessed, in 1969, that a decade later bands would be abandoning this dress wholesale?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFdxoAxwZxM

Here, at Cowal in 1950, bands are either in military-style Full Dress or wearing Regulation Doublets, in both cases wearing long horsehair sporrans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3grvAH-qlY4

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 01-18-2020 at 05:20 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:23 AM   #29
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCsound View Post
re: pitch rising...

Some band just needs to truly commit to this and switch to biniou kozh chanters...
Or less drastic to Gaita Galega chanters in C, a full step up from Bb.

In Spain it's been going the other way as more and more bands switch from the traditional key of C down to the Scottish-inspired Bb.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #30
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post

wholesale?

]
I think following WW2 and the Korean conflict MOD was getting rid of that stuff at relative pennies per pound...so riding the popular wave and influenced by the spread of tv and e.g. Tunes of Glory and a plethora of others ...everybody had it..

By the 70ís it was impractical kit and too expensive for civvy bands to continue. And the Ďcheapí sources and stockpiles had dried up.

Hence...where itís at.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote