Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Bulgarian Kaba Gaida

Why do you think the mormolka is called the "flea hole"?
Old 03-28-2008, 05:22 AM   #12
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I don't speak Bulgarian so I don't know what mormorka actually means. But that's what Bulgarians call it when speaking Bulgarian. When speaking English they call it "fleahole".
I don't know if it's because the mormorka is a tiny tube, far smaller than the other fingerholes, the size of a flea, or because the finger is so often moving up and down on the hole to create the vibrato (on the normal Bulgarian pipes) or trill-like ornaments (on the Macedonian pipes).

I should add that on ordinary Bulgarian pipes (non-kaba that is) the mormorka is used in two entirely different ways:
1) partially uncovered to give a quarter-tone vibrato to long notes in bavna pesen (slow airs) and to subdivide notes longer than eighth-notes in dance tunes (cf rolls in Irish dance music).
2) fully uncovered to raise the pitch of melody notes 1/2 step, making the chanter chromatic.

About the wood gaidas are normally made of, they call it "dogwood" when speaking English. I don't know what the Bulgarian word is.
In the photo above, all four gaidunitsi (chanters, singluar gaidunitsa) are made of dogwood. The chanter on the far right is stained dogwood. You find that sometimes on gaidi. The rest are the natural unstained wood.
More into about those chanters, from left to right:
1) quite rare gaidunitsa in "Do", bell note C, keynote G. Made in the 1940's. Dogwood with bone rings and horn mounts.
2) standard "orchestral" chanter in "Re", bell note D, keynote A. This is used in the large radio orchestras and in the Bitov ensembles. Dogwood, horn, and pewter.
3) rare gaidunitsa in "Fa", bell note F, keynote C. Old. Dogwood, horn, and pewter.
4) new gaidunitsa in "Sol", bell note G, keynote D. Made by Kostadin Varimezov. This is the standard solo chanter, so often heard in a duet with a drum (tuppan).

By the way, Varimezov's family name is an odd one, and comes from an ancestor who had a reputation of never lending anything to anybody. It means "he has (but) doesn't give". A Bulgarian guy told me that the name sounds funny, as it sounds like you're saying "boil bear".
Old 03-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #13
Yuri
Forum Gold Medal

From the photo as well as from other parallels I'd guess that the wood is plum. That dark purplish colour is typical. And plum is a very common timber for other pipes in the area, like the Hungarian ones, where plum is the preferred one. The Turks use it as top choice for a number of woodwinds. (boxwood is held equal or better, and almond equal where it exists)
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:23 AM   #14
Steve Bliven
Forum Gold Medal

Here's something for you Bulgarian bagpipe fans...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WklcYJcqi...eature=related

Best wishes.

Steve
Old 03-30-2008, 05:28 AM   #15
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Ouch! check out his middle finger...

Note how long you can play on the Rhodope kaba gaida between breaths. That's why they use the huge bag- it's traditional to sing to your own piping (usually not that kind of singing, however...)

Back to the topic of wood, the "dogwood" isn't purple, but rather a deep brown that is reddish or yellowish. Looks a lot like the "cocus" that Highland pipes and flutes were made of in the 19th century, including the prominent sapwood.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #16
flowerlin
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I can help with information on this kind of bagpipe.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #17
Deasan
Forum Member

Where can I get a good quality gaida?
Deasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #18
flowerlin
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Hi Deasan,

For quality Kaba Gaida, check my web site http://www.kabagaida.com. I work with one of the best Kaba Gaida masters and I can help you with the order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deasan View Post
Where can I get a good quality gaida?
Old 01-19-2020, 07:54 AM   #19
DapperDan
Forum Regular

Thought I'd revive this old thread, as there's already a lot of good information on it. I was able to hear (and try giving a blaw on) a Kaba Gaida yesterday. It's very different from a GHP in so many ways. For one, it's used to accompany singing and enthusiastic dancing. It has a plaintive, other-wordly sound, but nonetheless inspires much partying. The volume is very pleasant indoors, and can be almost drowned out by drumming and singing.

There is a group in the area that is teaching the instrument, and I learned some really interesting stuff from them (convivial bunch, they tried to recruit me and some other Highland pipers). Apparently their music is not usually written down, although that can be done, and like the GHB in the past, the pitch of the instrument and the style of ornamentation varied from piper to piper (though they play standard melodies). They have no practice instrument - you learn on the bag from day one.

I got the impression that the state of Bulgarian piping is where Highland piping was at one time - a solo virtuosic art form, associated with a particular ethnic group, traditionally passed from master to pupil, that is now growing due to interest outside of Bulgaria, and the formation of bands. Apparently good teachers are hard to find.

Anyway, I got to try playing one, and barely managed to get a few notes out of it. It plays at a low pressure, but with a lot of air. Both reeds are single-bladed and can shut off if you overblow (the drone takes more air than the chanter, at least on the instrument I tried - I droned awhile trying to get the chanter to sound, and was told I was blowing way too hard).

Are the Gaidas you see for sale on the internet mostly junk, like Pakistani Highland pipes? The Gaidars I was talking to said that they recently are able to get synthetic bags and reeds, but have to order their instruments and supplies from Bulgaria.

All in all, it was very nice to hear this music in person and see it proliferating with new interest.

Last edited by DapperDan; 01-19-2020 at 07:58 AM.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote