Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #11
Piperjon01
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Deura Reed Problem

Klondike Waldo--probably not. I'm sure I don't have enough postings yet to post pics.

el gaitero--"No". I'm self-taught. How ever, this was not my first foray into musical instruments. I started with the flute in 4th grade (about 1963-4), bassoon in high school and college ('70-'76), the pipes in about '85 and soprano sax about 10 years ago so I think I know at least a little about how things should sound.
Jon
Piperjon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #12
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piperjon01 View Post
Klondike Waldo--probably not. I'm sure I don't have enough postings yet to post pics.

el gaitero--"No". I'm self-taught. How ever, this was not my first foray into musical instruments. I started with the flute in 4th grade (about 1963-4), bassoon in high school and college ('70-'76), the pipes in about '85 and soprano sax about 10 years ago so I think I know at least a little about how things should sound.
Jon
Ok. So I understand..after 35 years you’re now seeking advice on how to get the reeds going. Yeah,..you might want to toss them...and start off fresh with a set of SM 90 reeds.

Last edited by el gaitero; 01-29-2020 at 02:33 PM.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:19 PM   #13
OHCalman
Forum Member

Move the bridles on the tenor reeds up, towards the reed seat. This should open them up.
Try mouthblowing them, if theyíre still shutting off then continue moving the bridle up a few mm at a time until they donít.

Iíd advocate for throwing the reeds and the pipes out. Pakistani pipes are not known for being useable instruments, and if your bag was put on 30 years ago I highly doubt itís still airtight.
Probably worthwhile getting a competent tutor as well.
OHCalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #14
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Found these images of Deura drone reeds, hope they show up.

After posting they didn't. Here is the Bing URL:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...EA&FORM=IQFRBA

Cheers -

Wes

Last edited by Texas Gael; 01-29-2020 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Images didn't post
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #15
DapperDan
Forum Regular

Hi Piperjon -

I would contact the seller on ebay right away, they'll probably refund your money promptly, to avoid getting a bad review (which you should leave anyway). They know their stuff doesn't work, so they're very quick to refund purchases. You can probably pick up a good set of used synthetic reeds - "bagpipes for sale or swap" on facebook is a good page where people post such things.

Last edited by DapperDan; 01-29-2020 at 05:46 PM.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:05 PM   #16
Piperjon01

el gaitero--the cane reeds have served me well for the past 35 years. I just found out about synthetic reeds a few weeks ago. I finally climbed out from under my rock. Pardon my ignorance, but what is an SM 90?
OHCalman--thank you. Believe it or not, the bag is still air tight.
WES--thank you. Yes, that's them, on the left.
DapperDan--thank you, and will do.

Jon
Old 01-29-2020, 07:26 PM   #17
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
el gaitero--the cane reeds have served me well for the past 35 years. I just found out about synthetic reeds a few weeks ago. I finally climbed out from under my rock. Pardon my ignorance, but what is an SM 90?

Jon
Greetings, Piperjon. I did note in your earlier post that you said the cane reeds have served you well for 35 years. Were you simply looking to experiment?

As for cane serving well, have you been playing solo? With others? Just for your own pleasure? If with others, have they commented on your pipes and sound?

I do concur about meeting with an instructor or someone to lend an ear. That's not a slight on your years of experience, other than to suggest that we benefit from the experience of others...particularly the pros; who, by the way, are often very amenable to assisting. Even those of us who've been around, played with competition bands, and have a decent knowledge of the products available do take advantage of having others' ears when trying out things (e.g., new drone reeds). All the best in your search and continued playing.

Oh, and SM-90s are farily inexpensive plastic reeds that have been around for quite a while. While arguably not as good a sound as others, I've often found them to be quite 'bullet proof', and have switched many a student to them for some time, and especially when they've had problems with other reeds.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:57 PM   #18
Piperjon01

Equusracer,
Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I just play for self-gratification a few times a year and I just wanted to experiment with the synthetic reeds. I did a Google search for the sm 90's and from what I gathered, they're just what the doctor ordered. I was toying with the idea of getting a set of Selbies but I like what I read about the sm 90's. They're on my shopping list for sure. Thanks for the encouragement.

Jon

Last edited by Piperjon01; 01-29-2020 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:29 AM   #19
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:

Jon
You're welcome, glad to help. You might also go on YouTube and search Pakistani Bagpipe Challenge. A number of pipers some time ago took up the challenge to get a set of Pakistani-made bagpipes and get them going. Most seemed to be setting up the drones with more common (more expensive) drone reeds. You could contact some of them to see what they recommend.

All the best -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #20
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

PiperJon, one model of the Deura drone reeds seem to be copies of the original Sheperd synthetic reeds, then there are other a varieties as well- all copies of known-maker reeds.

I have some spare sets of Selbie reeds. PM me if you'd be interested in trying a set.