Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-15-2020, 04:29 PM   #11
mpage
Forum Regular

Default Re: Pipe Case Alternatives

Justin, the Apache 5800 case sold by Harbor Freight is pretty much identical to the Pelican 1510, but at less than half the cost. Plus if they offer a 25% off coupon, you're looking at something like $75.00 for the same case Pelican makes at over $200. Pick-n-pull foam interior, wheeled, with retractable handle, and you can buy the Pelican 1510 lid organizer for the rest of your gear.
Cheers,
Mike
mpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-15-2020, 07:36 PM   #12
Justin Howland
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpage View Post
Justin, the Apache 5800 case sold by Harbor Freight is pretty much identical to the Pelican 1510, but at less than half the cost. Plus if they offer a 25% off coupon, you're looking at something like $75.00 for the same case Pelican makes at over $200. Pick-n-pull foam interior, wheeled, with retractable handle, and you can buy the Pelican 1510 lid organizer for the rest of your gear.
Cheers,
Mike
Cheers, Mike. I've looked at them both, as well as the Nanuk 925, and they're all basically the same. I think my biggest concern is that all of them are, or at least seem to be, quite a bit bulkier to what I've been using for a while.

Since my current case isn't on its last leg I won't push it for now but will continue to keep an eye out. Thanks, again, all for your input.
Justin Howland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:04 AM   #13
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Here are two of my cases, that sort of represent opposite ends of the hard-shell case spectrum, on the left a Savage & Hoy case I bought back in the 1980s and on the right a Pelican 1510 case I got used on Ebay for around $100.

The S&H case is shaped like traditional Highland pipe cases, the exact size to put in a full-size set of pipes without having to break down the pipes beyond breaking down the bass drone in the traditional way (leaving the tenor drones intact and leaving the blowpipe and chanter in the bag).

It's fairly sturdy, and amazingly lightweight. There's virtually zero extra room for accessories.

The Pelican case is heavy and bulky, and you have to break down all the drones. I also remove the chanter and blowpipe from the bag.

On the plus side you can throw the case off a building or run over it with a truck, it has wheels and telescoping handle, and there's plenty of room for extra chanters, practice chanter, music, Glengarry, etc and the zippered pouches hold all the maintenance supplies.

I should mention that the Pelican 1510 case has integral lugs inside the lid for the screws that hold the insert panel with the zip pouches, but the Hardigg Storm iM2500 case I have, though practically identical to the Pelican, lacks these lugs so I had to drill holes in the lid for the attaching screws.

Another alternate is a tool box. I have a Stanley toolbox that's just the right size for pipes (traditional bass-only breakdown). It's sturdy and lightweight and has compartments for supplies. It cost around $20.

An aside about Savage & Hoy cases, around a decade ago I was at the NAMM Show and Savage & Hoy had a booth there. They had cases for guitars etc on display. I asked the two reps about bagpipe cases. I told them about a friend who owned a Highland Outfitters shop who had seen my S&H case and would like to carry those cases in his shop. They said they S&H didn't make bagpipe cases nor did they have any knowledge of their firm ever making such. Thinking that the size of case we pipers use was called something else or intended for something else, I described the dimensions of my pipe case. They said that they didn't know about their firm making cases like that.

They're on Facebook and mention bespoke cases so I suppose they could make any size you want https://www.facebook.com/pg/SavageAndHoy/about/

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 03-16-2020 at 09:22 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #14
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
f

on the left a Savage & Hoy case I bought back in the 1980s....

The S&H case is shaped like traditional Highland pipe cases, the exact size to put in a full-size set of pipes without having to break down the pipes beyond breaking down the bass drone in the traditional way (leaving the tenor drones intact and leaving the blowpipe and chanter in the bag).

It's fairly sturdy, and amazingly lightweight. There's virtually zero extra room for accessories

An aside about Savage & Hoy cases, around a decade ago I was at the NAMM Show and Savage & Hoy had a booth there. They had cases for guitars etc on display. I asked the two reps about bagpipe cases. I told them about a friend who owned a Highland Outfitters shop who had seen my S&H case and would like to carry those cases in his shop. They said they S&H didn't make bagpipe cases nor did they have any knowledge of their firm ever making such. Thinking that the size of case we pipers use was called something else or intended for something else, I described the dimensions of my pipe case. They said that they didn't know about their firm making cases like that.

They're on Facebook and mention bespoke cases so I suppose they could make any size you want https://www.facebook.com/pg/SavageAndHoy/about/
Your S&H case looks same as mine mentioned in my post above. I got it in ca 2001 at 1 Madeira St. It is 26 1/2” length. I put my pipes in broken down as you describe ..a have enough room to nestle in a Tupperware box with necessities. I also still have a older version from 1973 at the CNE. it doesn’t have the mating nylon edge.

I tried in 2003 to arrange for McCallum to possibly provide this case along with 12 or more sets of new pipes being ordered by a new band I was teaching...but neither of us could establish contact with S&H ..repeated phone calls and message went unanswered. I did finally get someone...but the conversation went nowhere...and there was subsequently some dodgy background heard about paid for cases never being shipped. I believe there were some threads on BDF about it some 15 yrs ago. Regardless..still glad I’ve got mine for all the reasons I mentioned in my above post.

Last edited by el gaitero; 03-16-2020 at 10:00 AM.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #15
Justin Howland
Forum Member

Thanks for sharing the images and your experience.

Out of curiosity, how are you embedding images? I have a few of my current setup that might help understand what I've been working with, but I haven't been able to figure out how to share them!
Old 03-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #16
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Howland View Post
Thanks for sharing the images and your experience.

Out of curiosity, how are you embedding images? I have a few of my current setup that might help understand what I've been working with, but I haven't been able to figure out how to share them!
The image needs to be hosted online somewhere, then copy the image location (right-click or equivalent >> copy image location). When making a post, click on the icon with a mountain and sun and paste the image location there. Et voila! You have an embedded pic.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #17
Justin Howland
Forum Member

Thanks for the input, so far. Since I've been struggling to embed images, here is a link to some images of what I've been using for several years now. As I mentioned before, I'm not against breaking the pipes down, and am actually in favor of something compact, but I would like a bit more protection than what these soft-sided carryons can offer.

These pictures show more than I would normally be carrying with me, but give an idea.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #18
Oshima
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Iím a total case nerd - I love storage and have tons of pelican boxes, old school pipe cases, Hardie flight case, etc., and I never found the perfect case until I got my hands on a Bagpiper Explorer. The sides and back are rigid to provide way more protection, the inside is soft and padded with a wide, chonky strap that keeps the pipes from moving around. Thereís plenty of storage space (I can easily fit a set of small pipes comfortably inside as well) plus lots of D rings, etc. The hardware is all top-notch. Zippers, fasteners, and webbing are all super premium and obviously spared no expense. There are backpack straps on it, which are super comfortable, but those can be unsnapped and stored within the outside of the body.

This is my favorite case for any instrument Iíve ever owned, hands down. Nothing else even comes close. Iíd say itís my favorite storage piece too. The only downside I can think of is it canít accommodate an extra long practice chanter in the outside storage area - it needs to be stored with the pipes. In every other way itís absolutely perfect.

Theyíre on sale for $209 at Hendersonís right now. An absolute no-brainer. Buy this case - I promise you will love it.
Oshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #19
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshima View Post
I’m a total case nerd - I love storage and have tons of pelican boxes, old school pipe cases, Hardie flight case, etc., and I never found the perfect case until I got my hands on a Bagpiper Explorer. The sides and back are rigid to provide way more protection, the inside is soft and padded with a wide, chonky strap that keeps the pipes from moving around. There’s plenty of storage space (I can easily fit a set of small pipes comfortably inside as well) plus lots of D rings, etc. The hardware is all top-notch. Zippers, fasteners, and webbing are all super premium and obviously spared no expense. There are backpack straps on it, which are super comfortable, but those can be unsnapped and stored within the outside of the body.

This is my favorite case for any instrument I’ve ever owned, hands down. Nothing else even comes close. I’d say it’s my favorite storage piece too. The only downside I can think of is it can’t accommodate an extra long practice chanter in the outside storage area - it needs to be stored with the pipes. In every other way it’s absolutely perfect.

They’re on sale for $209 at Henderson’s right now. An absolute no-brainer. Buy this case - I promise you will love it.
I have one of these. I use it for storage in my house.....but that's it.

It's a soft case (albeit a good one) so has the usual drawbacks of not really providing a huge amount of protection. It advertises what is inside potentially making it a target for theft. It's expensive. The zippers inside are not of great quality, and don't match the attention to detail elsewhere.

That said, I store my pipes safely away in a locked cupboard in one of these, where I can mitigate any knocks. It has the nicest interior I have seen (apart from the zipper handles) which I like, cosseting my pipes as they sleep. It's basically used an expensive onesie for my pipes around the house

I now have a pelican 1510 for trips out and about with my good pipes, would use this if I had a set I wasn't so bothered about.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:39 PM   #20
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshima View Post
Iím a total case nerd - I love storage and have tons of pelican boxes, old school pipe cases...
I'm sort of like that. Not that I've kept up with "the latest rage pipe case" but mainly because I've bought and sold quite a few sets of pipes over the years, and oftentimes they come in an old case which I end up with.

A while back a piper friend was asking my advice about cases- his old Scottish Shopper case from the 1970s had finally just fallen apart- and I said "why don't you come over to my house". I showed him a shelf of 15 or 20 old cases and said "just pick one and take it".

It's like that with my Savage & Hoy case; back in the 1980s I bought a lovely set of Colin Ross Northumbrian pipes and they came in that case. I loved it so much I kept it when I sold those pipes.