Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-18-2020, 05:31 PM   #41
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: I LOVE my bagpipes

1. 2016 Blackwood Dunbar DB3 drones with 2018 Naill ABW solo chanter. Reeds are Kinnaird Evo easy reeds, they are quite “wheezy” before strike in but what a sound! Super easy to adjust too. Chanter reed is an easy shepherd, plug and play in the Naill

2. 2011 McCallum AB0 pipes with a Dunbar Elite I chanter that came originally with the Dunnys of course, but I like the Naill/Dunbar combo, and I find the Dunbar chanter more comfortable to play than the McCallum chanter that I originally used with the McCallum pipes. The holes in the Naill and Dunbar are much more comfortable for my thin fingers. The Reeds are Kinnaird Edge reeds, they are a pain to set up, you need a ton of patience, but the tone is definitely worth it, bright and ringing. Oh, and I got a Colin MacLellan reed in the chanter.

The way they are set up now, they have never let me down!

P.S I have to say the Naill chanter is the best chanter I have ever played. I like it so much that I am considering getting another for the McCallum pipes, maybe a Poly one this time.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:05 PM   #42
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post
2. 2011 McCallum AB0 pipes with a Dunbar Elite I chanter that came originally with the Dunnys of course, but I like the Naill/Dunbar combo, and I find the Dunbar chanter more comfortable to play than the McCallum chanter that I originally used with the McCallum pipes. The holes in the Naill and Dunbar are much more comfortable for my thin fingers. The Reeds are Kinnaird Edge reeds, they are a pain to set up, you need a ton of patience, but the tone is definitely worth it, bright and ringing.
Re: Kinnaird Edge. I agree with the tone; but I guess the experience in setting up is variable. I had no issues, initially, other than setting pitch (having to really flatten them). Beyond that, they were nearly plug and play for me. Still, as you point out, the end product (sound) is what matters.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:00 AM   #43
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post
Re: Kinnaird Edge. I agree with the tone; but I guess the experience in setting up is variable. I had no issues, initially, other than setting pitch (having to really flatten them). Beyond that, they were nearly plug and play for me. Still, as you point out, the end product (sound) is what matters.
As of now I put an MG reed in the bass drone, as I found the Edge to be a bit temperamental, it was unstable and howled all the time, at least in my McCallum Bass drone. It was the hardest reed to set up IMHE.

The tenors are still great though, this combo will work just perfect I bet.

Last edited by WBpiper; 03-19-2020 at 08:03 AM.
WBpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:16 PM   #44
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post
As of now I put an MG reed in the bass drone, as I found the Edge to be a bit temperamental, it was unstable and howled all the time, at least in my McCallum Bass drone. It was the hardest reed to set up IMHE.

The tenors are still great though, this combo will work just perfect I bet.
I believe McCallum made changes to the bass drone around 2014 which in turn also made the bass easier to reed potentially. Having said that I owned the Edge for a bit and found them problematic and pretty intense. Probably great reeds especially if you're in a band where they can be tailored to each piper.

Some bass reeds that I've found really shine with my newer McCallums are MG White Mambas/Carbons, Henderson Harmonics (polycarbonate, not the Deluxe with carbon fiber), and Balance Tone High Resonance.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #45
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
I believe McCallum made changes to the bass drone around 2014 which in turn also made the bass easier to reed potentially. Having said that I owned the Edge for a bit and found them problematic and pretty intense. Probably great reeds especially if you're in a band where they can be tailored to each piper.

Some bass reeds that I've found really shine with my newer McCallums are MG White Mambas/Carbons, Henderson Harmonics (polycarbonate, not the Deluxe with carbon fiber), and Balance Tone High Resonance.
This certainly underscores the individuality of drones and what works (and what doesn't). Mine (G. Kilgour) don't like Ezees, and a few others. Tone varies with others, though, like Robertsons, they're loud. Mellower with the Kinnaird Edge, Croziers, and a few others. It's one reason why we've not tried 'matched' drone reeds in our band, whose members own everything from 1903 Hendersons to new Colin Kyo...and almost every maker in between.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:57 AM   #46
Molasses4masses
Forum Regular

I have only one set - MacRae SL2's by McCallum. I have set #40 something, I think. This is my first set, and I've loved them since I've gotten them. I've ran Ezeedrone tenors and an Ezeedrone inverted bass in them since I got them, as well. I've wanted to try some other drone reeds, but these work well and they sound good. Chanters are where I have changed: McCallum poly, Naill ABW from the mid 90's, a no-name ABW chanter that I won a bunch with but the reed crapped out on me at the end of a season, Peter Henderson ABW, and now a McCallum Gandy chanter. I was fortunate to have them set up for me by Nick Hudson while he was still in Pittsburgh, so they sounded good and were at the appropriate playability for where I was at at that time. I've since changed them around slightly to fit new chanter reed strengths.

I might try in the future to get an early 1900's set of Hendersons with some ivory just to own, appreciate, and play a piece of history, but I don't know if I will ever have the money for that. If anyone ever wants to pass a set on for a reasonable amount to someone who would appreciate them, play them, and then pass them on when my piping days are done....well, I'm your guy.
Molasses4masses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:45 AM   #47
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post

What are they, and what's your setup?

WHY do you love them? If you don't love all aspects of it, then what about your set makes you happy?

How did you get to this point with your set? Did you try/own other sets, or did you hear other sets which steered you in the right direction?

What about your set up? Did it take you a long time to get things dialed in juuuuust right?
Excellent questions!

I do love my pipes.

Said to be Lawries from the 1940s. I'm a Lawrie guy (my first set in 1975 were Lawries and I've owned many Lawries since) so when this set came up for sale at a very reasonable price I jumped on them.

I had beautiful c1905 silver & ivory Lawries but with the ivory situation I sold them, and needed a replacement band set.

I love the look of this set, very plain, with wood projecting mounts and catalin tops. Sapwood shows here and there.

About setup I have Begg sheepskin and Moose valve. From the beginning I could see that the drones loved playing at modern high pitch and these would become my band pipes. However the drones didn't have quite the volume I wanted so I increased the volume with Kinnairds in the tenors and an EzeeDrone in the bass. With these the drones sound good and are super easy to strike in, a big plus for band pipes. As far as how long it took for the pipes to get dialed in, it was pretty much right away.

With the band it's a McCallum chanter and Megarity reed.

With my second set, Starcks also said to be from the 1940s, I love their appearance even more. They have nicks here and there and the profiles are so elegant. They have wood egg-cup mounts and nickel rings and ferrules.

Initially I had problems with the tenors fluttering, but this was quickly solved by putting in EzeeDrone reeds and tuning the drones to where they wanted to play, at 466.

At that pitch the drones have a wonderful complex dark tone, unlike any pipe I've ever owned. It's my set for Pipe Organ gigs.

The chanter is a McCallum Bb with an ordinary Megarity reed.

I'm a visual person and it's too bad that nobody has posted photos!

With these I'll hopefully start a trend here.

Lawries

Starcks

Old 04-11-2020, 03:53 PM   #48
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

As of now, my ABW Dunbars have the Kinnaid Evo easy reeds, an EzeePC chanter Reed in my Naill chanter, with the Bannatyne Dri-flo, and a trapdri spit trap, my instrument is working loads better.

The trapdri really helps my chanter reed by not getting too wet which hampers and dulls the tone, pretty much just the right amount to keep it happy. It pretty much keeps its tone and doesn't skyrocket in pitch as opposed to when I didn't have anything in the blowpipe stock (it went up to about 488-489!!!! )

My reed will still accumulate moisture over time given that it's a Bannatyne hybrid bag, however, the trapdri really slows it down and helps. I think it also helps by directing the air further away from the chanter stock, thus my reed isn't immediately exposed to the hot damp air right next to the blowpipe.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:55 PM   #49
piper909
Forum Silver Medal

I love my main bagpipe more than any other non-organic thing in my home. Krons, with a Kron Medallist chanter (I have two, both with im. ivory soles) as my primary chanter (I also have Dunbar), blackwood throughout with imitation ivory mounts, except for the blowpipe and chanter stock (plastic that matches the blackwood exactly). I bought the sticks from Jim McGillivray in late 2007, who acquired them from Charlie Kron, as a sort of spec set lying around, and they were made when Dave Atherton was still working with Kron Bagpipes, so I believe they are his handiwork in part.

They are rock-steady pipes and forgiving of any neglect. I have them set up with Kinnaird drone reeds (one of the older sets, before variations spun off; still working fine, but hard to initially adjust). Basic Canmore Goretex bag, no zip, no internal gizmos; I'm not a wet blower and don't want to futz around with plumbing). Chanter reeds are catch as catch can, one of the Kron chanters is harder to reed than the other so I try anything that looks likely; my most reliable was a brand you can't get anymore, and I still have a small stash.

All my chanters are blackwood, I won't play plastic unless it's a band chanter that requires me to play it.

This was the third pipe I ever bought, my first set was Lawries in 1975 from the Scottish Shopper from Seattle and my second was a Hardie set with a Naill chanter bought from Mike Cusack in 1993 when he was running Jimmy McIntosh's bagpipe supply business. I've had a Kintail chanter in this time as well, part of the Silver Thistle band set, and I also have as a backup pipe a customized, new Henderson that needs more love and attention.

I'm sorry that I can't upload any images, my photo host is "down for maintenance following a server error"!

Last edited by piper909; 04-13-2020 at 12:10 AM.
piper909 is offline   Reply With Quote