Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-31-2020, 01:38 PM   #51
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Drone instability, poor blowing or moisture?

Another thing I forgot to mention, but probably should is that I moved the bridles down for the softer reed, thus they are below the two lines that are marked on the side of the Kinnaird reeds.

I’ll try to move them back since I got a more stable reed in place.

Last edited by WBpiper; 03-31-2020 at 01:52 PM.
WBpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-31-2020, 05:16 PM   #52
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
...less pressure on the forearm...
Years ago I wasn't aware how my bag put pressure on my forearm until I had to play for over an hour at a wedding reception and it started going numb!

Quote:
...not only was his bag huge, he had a very interesting way of having the pipes drape over his shoulder.
You do see sometimes pipers with the bag further forward so the chanter angles back below and the drones angle back above. Sometimes the drones are almost horizontal.

It was more common in the old days

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 03-31-2020 at 05:27 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:57 PM   #53
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

I also should probably not moisten my reeds so much with my mouth...

I am guessing the excess moisture can make a chanter reed very sensitive? Whoopsie-doodle! Lesson learned if so!

Last edited by WBpiper; 03-31-2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:48 PM   #54
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Another Update I guess lol.

I have decided to buy a BlowPro Digital Pressure gauge to help with my blowing.

And Hmmm, my moisture control system keeps the whole bag dry, including the chanter. I was doing some reading on older threads about how a bone dry chanter reed can be unstable and finicky. So I decided to remove the MCS, and when I played without it, my chanter stabilized nicely, but my drones went out of whack from moisture. Lots of cursing and frustration was to be had during this whole ordeal, but in retrospect, I am starting to find this whole thing comical.

I guess I'll play a bit without the MCS, and then I'll eventually pop it in after a bit.

And yeah yeah, I'll look into a Gannaway or Canmore Hybrid! (I think Alberta is unfortunately too dry for sheepskin ��)

I really do need a different bag...

Last edited by WBpiper; 04-01-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:33 AM   #55
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I really enjoy the Gannaway bags. Last year, in dryíish Colorado (very similar to Alberta, I expect), the whole summerís competition season was played without any seasoning in the bag, and only a trap-dry. My pipes were amazing steady (IMO).

I did ensure that I primed the bag every six months or so.

One day, I will try a tied-in sheepskin, but love a bag without a large seam.

Charlie
Old 04-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #56
ralph
Forum Silver Medal

I have for many years played with a ross bag with the tube cannister system. Once I realized there the ability to open a hole on the chanter tube distal to the cannister to allow additional moisture in to just the chanter I gained a lot more stability to my chanter. There are many systems now that go just to the drones. Personally I like what I have, seems to work great.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:31 PM   #57
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
I have for many years played with a ross bag with the tube cannister system. Once I realized there the ability to open a hole on the chanter tube distal to the cannister to allow additional moisture in to just the chanter I gained a lot more stability to my chanter. There are many systems now that go just to the drones. Personally I like what I have, seems to work great.
For one competition season the band I used to play with used Ross bags with the full Ross canister system however we had no granules in the chanter chamber. So, the chanter reed got normal moisture and we got a nice stable tone.

In addition the PM gave each of us a small rectangle of Sea Sponge cut to the shape of the chanter chamber which we kept in there. In moist/normal weather we left it alone, in very dry weather (such as competing in Las Vegas) we dipped the sponge in water. If each piper has the same amount of water in the sponge, all the chanters receive a similar amount of moisture regardless of whether the pipers are wet blowers or dry blowers. It worked brilliantly.

However for the next season we abandoned this complex system and went with Gannaway or traditional sheepskin (no MCS) and got even better results.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:55 PM   #58
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post
Another Update I guess lol.

I have decided to buy a BlowPro Digital Pressure gauge to help with my blowing.

And Hmmm, my moisture control system keeps the whole bag dry, including the chanter. I was doing some reading on older threads about how a bone dry chanter reed can be unstable and finicky. So I decided to remove the MCS, and when I played without it, my chanter stabilized nicely, but my drones went out of whack from moisture. Lots of cursing and frustration was to be had during this whole ordeal, but in retrospect, I am starting to find this whole thing comical.

I guess I'll play a bit without the MCS, and then I'll eventually pop it in after a bit.

And yeah yeah, I'll look into a Gannaway or Canmore Hybrid! (I think Alberta is unfortunately too dry for sheepskin ��)

I really do need a different bag...
BlowPro is great, I've owned one now for a long time. It's downfall for me is that the pressure it reads is absolute instead of gauge. It is giving you the total pressure, ambient atmospheric pressure + bag pressure, as opposed to what is happening in the bag. BlowPro really needs a zero out function so it starts reading from zero instead of starting at the current outside pressure of 992hPa, 1005hPa, etc. I've been playing with a water manometer (which naturally balances at zero no matter the daily outside pressure) lately because I don't have to do conversions in my head. The BlowPro is still great kit though, and it can record your session which is epic for seeing where your blowing is shifting.

The moisture control I've found the same thing you're experiencing. Chanter stays too dry at times and high A and others can cut out or be a little scratchy. I have my reeds and chanters humidified in the case so this helps but it needs more some days. I currently play with a TrapDri in a tube trap with the included red Canmore canister and sponge at the end. The sponge gets wet but my chanter reed stays dry. My temporary fix has been to remove the sponge but this does make the drones need more adjusting. I've ordered a set of Drone Dry stocks that I'm hoping will really let me dial in the moisture to the chanter on hour long sessions without the drone reeds shifting often.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:22 PM   #59
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
BlowPro is great, I've owned one now for a long time. It's downfall for me is that the pressure it reads is absolute instead of gauge. It is giving you the total pressure, ambient atmospheric pressure + bag pressure, as opposed to what is happening in the bag. BlowPro really needs a zero out function so it starts reading from zero instead of starting at the current outside pressure of 992hPa, 1005hPa, etc. I've been playing with a water manometer (which naturally balances at zero no matter the daily outside pressure) lately because I don't have to do conversions in my head. The BlowPro is still great kit though, and it can record your session which is epic for seeing where your blowing is shifting.

The moisture control I've found the same thing you're experiencing. Chanter stays too dry at times and high A and others can cut out or be a little scratchy. I have my reeds and chanters humidified in the case so this helps but it needs more some days. I currently play with a TrapDri in a tube trap with the included red Canmore canister and sponge at the end. The sponge gets wet but my chanter reed stays dry. My temporary fix has been to remove the sponge but this does make the drones need more adjusting. I've ordered a set of Drone Dry stocks that I'm hoping will really let me dial in the moisture to the chanter on hour long sessions without the drone reeds shifting often.
Good to know!

Iíll also add since I forgot, is that I decided to get a Bannatyne Dri-flo system too. Iíll see about using it along with my trapdri water trap.

Iíve played more today with just the trapdri water trap and just the extension tube it came with, the chanter reed was working great, and the drones worked OK, but moisture of course would still accumulate on the tongues and theyíd go haywire.

With that being said I feel much better about the way things were working and what happened.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #60
DapperDan
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post
Another thing I forgot to mention, but probably should is that I moved the bridles down for the softer reed, thus they are below the two lines that are marked on the side of the Kinnaird reeds.

I’ll try to move them back since I got a more stable reed in place.
I played Kinnaird Evo's for a bit. I had to move the bridles down below the lines as well. It's hard to calibrate them to a very easy reed, even with the "easy" tongues. It might be that they don't perform as well as intended because the bridle is no longer in the "sweet spot" - the tongues have a bend heat treated into them I believe. It also made them very sharp, and liable to make wheezing sounds with so much as a molecule of air in the bag.

I replaced them with their Edge reeds, which I like better. The bridles don't get moved, the strength is adjusted with a screw. You can very finely calibrate them. Less wheezy noise, very steady, very efficient, smoother sound too I'd say. I like them. I had also tried the Edge bass with Ezee tenors I had laying around, that worked well too. With drone steadiness and tone worked out, I realized how much I needed to work on my chanter sound! And execution... and.. etc. ..
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote