Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Pipe Bands
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pipe Bands For everything or anything related to Pipe Bands..

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #71
Jan
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Paying Dues to Play in a Band

We sort of have dues. Our members are asked to purchase their own kilt, hose, ghilies and glen.
We have a loan policy with monthly payments to help out those that can't afford a big purchase on top of pipes. Those that want in the band pay it. Those that don't want it enough will move on.
So far so good.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:19 PM   #72
Pj
Forum Regular

Well, I guess I am the bad guy with an attitude then.......
Because I don't want to or never will pay dues. My 2 Cents. pj

The green fees in relation to piping is way off. First, the Golf course isn't making money off my talent. It will be there if I choose to play that course or another but a band will not be there without me or my training, for lessons, marching, uniforms. The band has everything to gain because not every man/woman on the block plays the instrument. Pretty crazy to put that in the mix.
As I stated my life isn't revolved around piping. I am passionate about it too and I think I am OK at it. Am I a future world Champion, NO. And I do not strive to be. It is a hobby for fun only. But I am at every gig and practice and there to Mingle with friends and have some good times. But if my band is making $1,000.00-2,000.00 off an event I best not be asked to pay to play the event and then pay the band for whatever is needed to run the band.
That is like saying you joined the Army. Now your going to war and you get to pay us $500.00 a year to be there. Just as stupid as your golf analgy.

To Charlie, It's all good bud. I was just trying to state that I wasn't making the prices up out of the blue. All good. No hard feeling. apology to you if you thought otherwise. I agree philly has asome great bands..

I think this has gotten way off the main topic. Probably my fault since I directed it, kind of.
So I will not respond to this as I have made my feeling about dues known.

Hope all have a great day.

pj
Pj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:50 PM   #73
Stacy Bernard Slay
Forum Gold Medal

Nonetheless,

I say no! As was posted earlier " let the guy coming through the gate with a claymore and his face painted blue pay ". That was SO funny.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:33 PM   #74
Stuart Barr
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Cole:
Parades? Luxury! We lived and practiced for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, march back and forth for fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for $10 a week, and when we were finished our Pipe Major would thrash us with his belt. [/QB]
Ewww, ye don't even know thou were't born.....

Don't make me go there, Mike
Stuart Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:57 PM   #75
C. Coleman
Forum Regular

i have someone in my band tie my ghillies because i'm wotrth so much!
C. Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:12 AM   #76
ScottB
Forum Regular

Here's how I look at it. There's a mutual benefit. The band provides some material support, namely some of the outfit, reeds, some travel money, etc. They provide quality free instruction. Our PM and PS are both top notch players and instructors.

In return there is an informal, unstated agreement to participate in the band functions. I support the band with my time and energy. I play at parades, competitions and other gigs. The band gets the benefit of my meager "talent".

I'm doing this because it's fun and I find it rewarding. I don't pay to participate, and the band doesn't pay me (in dollars). However, I think both the band and I get something out of the exchange.

BTW, I think Michael made some very good points about the cost of running a large prgram like he has in Saffron. They are obviously doing something right. It does cost a ton to put on a vital band program. Fortunately for us here in Columbia, we're on a much smaller scale, so the costs of running the program are more easily supported by the gigs we play and some small sponsorships. I don't have the answers he seeks, but I'm curious to hear the outcome.

Scott
ScottB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:48 AM   #77
Davie Hunter (DundeePiper)
Forum Clasp

we pay 1 gbp per week, per person.

not bad in my opinnion to pay for reeds, kilts, etc. as its easier to find a pipe band in scotland than some of the american states
Old 10-20-2006, 07:40 AM   #78
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Pat, you're looking at this as a one way street. You seem to view the band as some sort of entity seperate from yourself whose purpose is to make money or to get something out of you. Bands to me are only the sum of the people that are in them. In any case, if my band was raking in the kind of money you are speaking of, and didn't have expenses to match, then I too would be questioning paying dues. But Mike made the point perfectly - if you take your banding seriously, you will be paying for something, somehow.

Cheers,
Calum
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:02 AM   #79
Sean Somers
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pj:
"...but a band will not be there without me or my training, for lessons, marching, uniforms. The band has everything to gain...
For the sake of argument, lets suppose you join a Grade 1 band that doesn't need your training, lessons (uniforms?) and so on - they've established themselves as a solid, competitive band, with the ability to dress themselves and march.

Would you then pay "dues"?
Old 10-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #80
Nick_MacKavelly
Forum Gold Medal

Sean,

I believe that I can answer for "PJ," based on his other posts - and the answer, simply, is that he would not 'pay' to have a band take advantage of his 'talent.'

What I find funny about this, is that members of countless competitive bands pay large sums of money for the priviledge of playing. Many of these players have a wealth of band experience and are professional-level soloists. If I recall correctly, you played with Halifax for a number of years, while still living in Regina. I am surprised, given your talent, that you did not feel as though the band was 'profiting' from your talent enough, and that there was no need for you to pay your way to Scotland ...

If you love something, and want to be a part of a team, then you will do what is necessary to play. Even the most talented of players, will often put forward large financial contributions towards the goal of playing with a competitive Pipe Band.

Based on his attitude, and close-mindedness, I would suspect that PJ will never reach the level required to play with a Grade 1 Band, nor would he be capable of making the commitment - both financially, and towards building a solid 'team,' that is required to play at the Grade 1 level.
Nick_MacKavelly is offline   Reply With Quote