Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Drumming > Side / Snare
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Side / Snare Pipe Bands or Solo - if it relates to Drumming...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-29-2004, 11:00 AM   #11
Tom Foote
Forum Regular

Default Re: Seven, eh

Quote:
Originally posted by Celticmitch:
...I'm ecstatic that there are 3 Canadians in the drum corps line up!
I think there are potentially more that 3 Canadians in the Shotts Corps... don't forget about Andrew Lawson!
Old 01-29-2004, 11:00 AM   #12
Mike Cole
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by BDC:
I don't mean to sound too negative, but I am getting a little sick of all the hype surrounding this new corps. People are talking like they (Shotts) have already won the 2004 Worlds? I think this will motivate other bands (whoever is left anyways) to practice hard and take a bite out of HOE Shotts this season. All I can say is...the bigger they are...

Nothing worse than talking to your goalie about a possible shutout with a few minutes left on the clock. It is doomed to fail. Too much pressure.

bdc
To deny the fact that ego is a factor/motivator for competition; is somewhat naive. From my understanding of the word ego; it has to do with self-awareness. No doubt, there are some that are a lot more self-aware than others!
For egos to 'get in the way' suggests that there are members of the corps who are so full of themselves, they are destined to fail. It remains to be seen, sure...but I don't think so. So far J.K's track record is pretty damn good.
Too many chiefs? Do you mean people with leadership experience? Is that really such a bad thing?---egos aside, of course.
No doubt, there's going to be a lot of talk about this corps....that's a good thing. Why? Because the Grade 1 competiton just might step up a notch or two...wouldn't you agree? If I were going up against that corps...I'd be saying 'good-bye' to the wife and family for a few extra days a week to hit the woodshed.
I can see a lot of positive spin-off for drumming (bass and tenor/mid-sections in particular) if everything goes the way I think it will. Pressure? Hey, Graham....you've never experience that yet, have you?
Cheers
Mike Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:45 AM   #13
BDC
Forum Regular

Yeah Mitch, FMM has always been the band for me. Their medleys rock, plain and simple. I can't wait till they win again. I just hope I can be there the year they do it.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:52 AM   #14
JRM
Holy smoking keyboard!

IF, and this is a big IF, he intends to field everyone, are we seeing the first signs of upping-the-anty, size wise for G1 & 2 bands? I still remember the comments years ago when bands like the 78'th started fielding 12- 15 pipers...unheard of at that time in Canada ayway. People were shocked that they would risk doing that, and even more shocked by the wall of sound when they played. I look forward to seeing it and hearing it.
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 02:07 PM   #15
tenordrummer.com
Forum Silver Medal

I'm delighted to see the Shotts drum corps making some absolutely top rate appointments.

I can't say I'm surprised though, after all, the band and drum corps are worthy world champions and it is only right that they have the best in the business stepping forward to join up.

I can't wait to check out the new line up. Best of luck to Jim MBE, TyFry, Haggis and CFelly and the band.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:22 PM   #16
Cliff Davis
Forum Silver Medal

From my bass and mid-section perspective, I think that very soon we'll all be seeing/hearing the next step in the ongoing evolution of pipeband drumming and ensemble effect with this new corps. One has only to read part two of Jim Kilpatrick's interview in P&D magazine, last month, where Jim discussed the fact that P.M. Robert Mathieson has considered writing tunes to complement, or play off of, mid-section voicing. This idea takes pipeband into a new and complicated realm, in my opinion. Wow. I can't wait to hear what they'll do!

Cliff Davis
Kansas City, Missouri
Cliff Davis is offline   Reply With Quote