Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-20-2006, 11:13 AM   #41
C. Coleman
Forum Regular

Default Re: Stanley Cup: Gone to Carolina?

at least the cup is slowly moving north.....
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #42
C. Coleman
Forum Regular

philly next year maybe?......Esche has to get the boot first though
Old 06-20-2006, 09:31 PM   #43
Bob Norris
Holy smoking keyboard!

I don't know anything about Hockey but I thought it was a Canadian sport? I mean, it doesn't even snow here. Matter of fact the weather is perfect for about 9 months a year.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:47 PM   #44
Todd C. Hutzler
Forum Member

Man, I really thought edmonton could come back and take it. The cup in carolina?... As if florida wasnt bad enough.

I dont care what color their sweaters are now.... the whalers sucked when they were in hartford, and they suck in charlotte too. Doom on you hurricanes.

I guess I ought not to complain. At least there was a season to speak of at all. Even though the leafs sucked it up, and the sabres could keep up with the whale, its better than nothing I suppose.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:13 AM   #45
Daniel MacDougall
Forum Member

OK...let's dispel a few myth's / misconceptions here.

1. Hoolie - The Canes play in Raleigh, NC not Charlotte.

2. I can't speak for people in other parts of the state (Charlotte is 2.5 hours away) but the hockey fanbase here in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) continues to build every year.

3. Ask any fan from a visiting team who has come to watch a game in Raleigh about the 'hockey knowledge' of the local fans and you would be as peasantly surprised as they are.

4. What's better than tailgating before a game in the warm springtime? I heard Edmonton does not allow tailgating. What about other hockey towns?

5. You all would be surprised at the number of 'Northerners' (myself included) who have relocated to the Triangle, which is consistantly rated amongst the best places to live in the US. I like to think that having a professional sporting team in the area adds to this. As a side note, there is a suburb of Raleigh called Cary, which the 'locals' have nicknamed C.A.R.Y., Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

6. Here's where some may blast me...Although hockey was born in Canada, I believe it is now an international sport. Look at the Olympic Hockey played over the past 16 - 20 years. Here is the count of Hurricane players from their respective countries...
Canada 11
USA 7
Czech Rep. 2
Switzerland 1
Sweden 1
Ukraine 1
Russia 1
Brunei 1

By the way, although I'm not a baseball fan in the least, I also believe baseball is an international sport, not American anymore.

7. Q. When was the last time a 'Canadien' team won Lord Stanley's Cup? A. 1993 Montreal Canadiens.

8. Born and Bred in Detroit and a lifelong Red Wings fan, I won't ever stop rooting for the Wings. However, I can say that in the 5 years I've lived in the Triangle I have been a full fledged Hurricanes fan since their 2002 season. Talk about divided allegiances when these 2 teams faced off in the Staley Cup finals that year! Thank God they are in different divisions!

9. Whatever your opinion, hockey is here to stay in Raleigh. This year and the 2002 season have cemented it. The local kids are really getting into hockey which bodes well for the future.

On a side note, it was really nice seeing Rod Brind'Amour win the Cup here. As a student at Michigan State Univ. I remeber watching him play at Munn Ice Arena (and cursing him the day he left MSU for the NHL)!

GO CANES! GO WINGS!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:43 AM   #46
Todd C. Hutzler
Forum Member

I know what youre sayin man. Im just kinda kiddin around. I grew up in buffalo, moved down here for college, and just ended up staying. You make some good points though. Better than half the people in charleston are from someplace else. Lots of transplanted yankees here too. However, I think one should rightfully count the 95/96 Avalanche as a canadian club winning the cup, as it was their 1st season after leaving quebec!
Old 06-21-2006, 10:51 AM   #47
Brian_D
Forum Member

How about two new tunes?

VICTORY IN RALEIGH and

OILERS LAMENT

GO CANES!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #48
Daniel MacDougall
Forum Member

Hoolie - I wasn't taking your post too seriously ;-).

I just hear time and again about hockey in the south...blah, blah, blah...doesn't belong...blah, blah, blah...southerner's don't know anything about the sport...yada, yada, yada. Even if the comments are tongue in cheek, it's a bit tiring.

One last thing I left off about hockey in Raleigh...CHEAP TICKETS! Regular season, 3rd tier, behind the goals went for $10 - $15! Any chance of getting ticket prices like that up north?

Now that we have the Stanley Cup, I wonder how much of a price jump tickets will take for next season?
Old 06-21-2006, 11:10 AM   #49
MPRadamacue
Forum Silver Medal

Is it me or is there something inherently wrong about the Stanley Cup residing for two season in a city where snow and ice are a novelty?

Sheesh.

I can only hope my Flyers move Hatcher, force Desjardins to retire and make our defence quicker. Throw in the move of Esche and we might actually make something out of next year.

http://www.michaelprice.net/stopthemadness