Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
MSupples
Forum Gold Medal

Default Sean McGonigal and the St. Columcille United Gaelic Pipeband

Kilts on Parade recording

Is it some kind of joke? It came up on pandora and I just thought "WTF is that awful noise???"

I've noticed it's actually for sale though. Things like this make me realize why people don't like the pipes.

Here is a nice sample of their "music":

http://www.folkways.si.edu/TrackDeta...x?itemid=23643

I especially recommend the Scotland The Brave set. Just click the play button beside the set to listen.

Last edited by MSupples; 10-17-2009 at 08:28 PM.
MSupples is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
MacDhughaill
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Sean McGonigal and the St. Columcille United Gaelic Pipeband

Come on it is not like it is a modern recording... 1950? I would not be so hard on them. It is interesting to hear how low sounding the chanters were in those days, as opposed to today.

You have to hand it to St. Columcille "back in the day" for attempting a recording.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
Matt Buckley
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDhughaill View Post
Come on it is not like it is a modern recording... 1950? I would not be so hard on them.
What does 1950 have to do with it? Couple of years ago I heard a tape of a wonderful recording of Glasgow City Police in the 50s. Great music.

1950 recording technology has nothing to do with horrible strike-ins, tuning, etc.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

A ton of recordings from the past feature bands from all over the place that sound just like this.
I also have a video of the pipes and drums of the Royal Ulster Rifles marching in Korea during that war and they sounded just like this. Here is a link to a video of the Ulsters in France in WWII. Same sound.
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=25023

Was this the standard of the day?

It should be noted that the announcer calls them the Royal Irish Rifles. THis is not correct as the regiments name was changed in 1921 after the formation of the free state. The regiment was renamed the Royal Ulster Rifles.

Last edited by Dave Gallagher; 10-18-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Dave Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
Paul Wood
Forum Silver Medal

Considering that two of Sean's grandsons and one great granddaughter are currently playing in Oran Mor, I think he did alright for himself.

Peace Through Victory
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Eastcoaster
Forum Member

I don't believe that there was a formal strike in like we have these days back then. I think the E to the tune came along in the 60 with Shotts or something like that. I could be wrong but remember reading something to that effect a while ago.
Eastcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
John_Sutherland
Forum Member

Is the standard of play higher today than it was 60 years ago? Yes.

Does that mean I enjoy slagging bands and their "music" from other eras? Absolutely not.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for bands and musicians that came before; without our past we cannot appreciate the present. Good on them for recording at a time when pipe band recordings were not easy and ubiquitous (Remember, YouTube has only been around for about 5 years now).

And by the way, the Glasgow City Police (now Strathclyde Police) won the worlds 21 times between 1920 and 1991! Not a fair comparison.

John Sutherland
John_Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote from John Sutherland:
"Is the standard of play higher today than it was 60 years ago? Yes.
Does that mean I enjoy slagging bands and their "music" from other eras? Absolutely not.
I have a tremendous amount of respect for bands and musicians that came before; without our past we cannot appreciate the present. Good on them for recording at a time when pipe band recordings were not easy and ubiquitous (Remember, YouTube has only been around for about 5 years now).
And by the way, the Glasgow City Police (now Strathclyde Police) won the worlds 21 times between 1920 and 1991! Not a fair comparison."

....Good post John, well said.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

I have this album! The wife bought it for me at a yard sale. Now I don't have to get a record player to play it on, it's here for me in all of it's digital glory. Good stuff!

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSupples View Post
Kilts on Parade recording

Is it some kind of joke? It came up on pandora and I just thought "WTF is that awful noise???"

I've noticed it's actually for sale though. Things like this make me realize why people don't like the pipes.

Here is a nice sample of their "music":

http://www.folkways.si.edu/TrackDeta...x?itemid=23643

I especially recommend the Scotland The Brave set. Just click the play button beside the set to listen.
Matt Weasner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
The Bruce
Forum Clasp

No formal strike-ins back in the day??? What in the world are you talking about??? I started playing in 1959 at the age of six and our band always had "formal" strike-ins.