Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Paul Ouellette
Forum Clasp

Default Grade 1A & Grade 1B...

Forumites : Now that the smoke has settled on another year at the Worlds...I was just wondering....

Do any of you also feel that having bands like...Peel, Oran & LA...that (obviously) go to such a huge expense to play at the Worlds...are getting really ripped off by the present RSPBA system of quick elimination ??

C'mon folks...6 minutes of playing & it's all over ??

That's just waaay too brutal !!!

I'd say it's high time we had a Grade 1 & a Grade "1A".

What say you ??

P.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Grade 1A & Grade 1B...

Agreed! 1A and B for sure!

Shawn

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

I don't know that splitting up grade 1 is the answer, but I do think the current system isn't fair to the overseas bands.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Curt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Tough question. If you split the grade, then the egos of the bands that are in 1b might get hurt. I think it is a good idea though. I believe there were 26 grade one bands at the Worlds this year. Is that enough for a split? Don't know?
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
Robin Beck
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post
I don't know that splitting up grade 1 is the answer, but I do think the current system isn't fair to the overseas bands.
Oh then, who did the judges give the first 3 places to?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
MSupples
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Beck View Post
Oh then, who did the judges give the first 3 places to?

I think he is referring to the problem of qualifying. Sure, SFU got in the top 3. However, how many years has it been since they have had to qualify?

The point is, bands in the UK and Ireland can more easily pre-qualify for the worlds. They have to move the band a maybe a few hundred miles at most. For the North American guys to be able to pre-qual, they have to go a few thousand miles, which is simply unaffordable and impracticable.

If the RSPBA would pre-qualify a band competing in one of the championships here, I think it would be more fair.
MSupples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #7
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Cannot they have several qualifying heats? That would give overseas bands a lot of good experience, and legitimate opportunities to show more of music and less dumb luck. I mean, the sun could come out just before you're on, once, but probably wouldn't happen three times in a row.

Or hold qualifiers regionally. Western North America, Eastern NA, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, etc.

It is a lot to prepare as if you will get through, but know that you might not.

I also imagine that for grades 2 and 3, some of the Northern Irish competitions might be as competitive as the Worlds in those grades.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:24 AM   #8
the old marshal
Forum Clasp

Totally ...........ripped off....!!!!!,The RSPBA...should take a long hard look at themselves in a lot of aspects regarding the Worlds....and get into the 21st Century.........!!
the old marshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #9
the doc
Forum Regular

I believe that if a band is in Grade 1 then there should not be a qualifying round. The bands should be treated as in other grades and all bands allowed to play both MSR and Medley. Judges can judge 25 to 30 bands in other grades so why not grade 1? After all, there would be 2 sets of judges one for MSR and Medley respectively and the set of judges that weren't needed for the qualifying could be used in the competition proper. .
the doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:25 AM   #10
classicbagpipes
Holy smoking keyboard!

Maybe here is the chance for the RSPBA to make it a two day affair. With all the gr 1 bands doing the MSR on Saturday and then the next day only have them come back on the Sunday and do their Selections. New day, new judges. They could charge admission again and also give all of the gr 1 bands the chance to be heard.
classicbagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote