Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #31
mackeroo
Forum Regular

Default Re: Very, very easy reed but playable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Apps View Post
I suggest that you either remove some cane from the blades or buy some easier reeds. It's much better to start out with easy or very easy reeds and then work up to a stronger one of you feel that this is necessary.

There's no enjoyment in struggling. Playing reeds that suit will help you to learn the blowing technique more quickly and help you to slowly develop the necessary muscle without getting a hernia!

That's what I'm gonna do Chris....
first try with a very easy reed...but I don't touch the other 2 reeds yet...

tnx for the info

mck
mackeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #32
mackeroo
Forum Regular

Well...I'm still waiting for my easy/easy reed...
But after a few day's I reach something that sounds as "Amazing Grace"...

After my first 10 day's I got this out of my "Squeeze Bag"

- My first attempt on the bagpipe

The upperhand is still hard to play (HighG & HighA) so I play at this moment with the G1 Easy Platinium reed

mck
Old 10-22-2012, 03:08 AM   #33
craigiehall
Forum Regular

Well done, you can see the differences in your posture and how the drones hang off your shoulder.

Heres some advice regarding the High A, don't oversqueeze it!!!

Try and just sound the scale including High A until you get get the pitch right when practicing, it will allow you to concentrate on technique and be able to hear what the individual notes are sounding like, at the moment you are squeezing the life out of the reed in anticipation that it aint gonna sound right when you reach the top hand.

Otherwise, well done mate.

craigiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:16 AM   #34
mackeroo
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiehall View Post
Well done, you can see the differences in your posture and how the drones hang off your shoulder.

Heres some advice regarding the High A, don't oversqueeze it!!!

Try and just sound the scale including High A until you get get the pitch right when practicing, it will allow you to concentrate on technique and be able to hear what the individual notes are sounding like, at the moment you are squeezing the life out of the reed in anticipation that it aint gonna sound right when you reach the top hand.

Otherwise, well done mate.

At this point it seems that, when I'm squeezing softer the sound stops, like in the first videoframe...

Is it possibel that my reed (easy) is still a bit to strong?
There is a easy/easy reed on his way right now...still waiting for it to test it...

mck
Old 10-22-2012, 03:28 AM   #35
craigiehall
Forum Regular

That's a real possibility, i think however its probably about the ultimate learning of constant pressure to obtain tone through the scale which is required.

Basically, its learning through practice what the desired internal pressure needs to be to sound the reed true throughout the scale, and blowing and squeezing in the right proportion that this true pitch does not alter.

Also, you will thru time build up this technique, and stamina to keep it up will occur as a by-product.

Practice practice practice, but with a specific aim in mind my friend..
craigiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #36
mackeroo
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiehall View Post
That's a real possibility, i think however its probably about the ultimate learning of constant pressure to obtain tone through the scale which is required.

Basically, its learning through practice what the desired internal pressure needs to be to sound the reed true throughout the scale, and blowing and squeezing in the right proportion that this true pitch does not alter.

Also, you will thru time build up this technique, and stamina to keep it up will occur as a by-product.

Practice practice practice, but with a specific aim in mind my friend..
Just recieved and tested my new G1 Platiunium Very Easy reed...
A big difference....

Now I can play both Highest notes much better...
I even played (also as test) with the 3 drones open now....
The drones must still have a fine tuning....they are not yet set in good position...but that's for later when we go "Officiall" on the bagpipe with the teacher of our band.

Owkay...my technique is not yet what it must be....but the teachers from our band manage that for me for shure (normally I run in front of the planning...but ssstttttt...don't tell that to anybody)

mck
Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #37
TStephens
Forum Gold Medal

Back to the original question, I think it is safe to say that if you are having to work harder to try to control a super easy reed, to the point of not being able to fully inflate the bag, then maybe you are playing one a little too easy for you. Just play one that is comfortably easy for you.

Also, sometimes there is very little difference between an easy reed that is hard to control and an easy reed that plays nicely. Some years ago, while setting up our band area at a Games, we were serenaded by a 10 year old little fellow associated with folks from another band. He marched proudly back and forth right next to us and his reed sounded awful. It was so easy that it was way overblown on the top hand. Finally I couldn't stand it anymore. I took his chanter, applied my mandrel to the reed and opened it up just a wee bit. When he blew up his pipes, I don't think he perceived any difference in the effort needed to play them, but I was able to tune his drones, the top hand was much more stable on the chanter, and I was able to endure the next half hour of repetitions of Scotland the Brave relatively painlessly. (The last thing I wanted to do was discourage a budding young piper, so I was willing to let him play as long as he wanted to!)
TStephens is offline   Reply With Quote