Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

Default Thread about adult learners

I am looking for a thread about adult learners where someone asked whether there were any on this forum who could play a selection of genres. Could someone please help me find it?
Old 02-03-2014, 04:57 AM   #2
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Thread about adult learners

I'm not sure I follow.

Are you asking for threads about people who are experienced in another musical genre who are now adult learners of the GHB?

Or threads about experienced GHB players who are now adult learners of some other musical genre?

Or about the challenges facing adult learners in general?

Or the challenges of playing in several different genres?

Whichever it is, there probably have been threads here about it.

Richard
Old 02-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

When searching for specific threads it helps if you can remember either forum members who participated or specific terms. Names of tunes are good to search for. I might be able to help if you provided a little more detail.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

In a discussion about the abilities of adult learners, someone set out a range of genres and tunes, and asked if any adult learner could perform them, and clearly he thought they could not. That is what I am looking for.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
Matt Buckley
Forum Clasp

What do you mean by "genres'?

Matt
Old 02-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
Josh Whitson
Forum Clasp

Default Thread about adult learners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Buckley View Post
What do you mean by "genres'?

Matt

Strathspey, jig, etc. is my guess.
Josh Whitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:16 AM   #7
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I see now. I thought he was talking about classical musicians or rock musicians or jazz musicians taking up the pipes as adult learners, or maybe the reverse of that.

For sure an adult learner will likely not have the lightning-quick fingers of a youth learner, and will have better initial success with 4/4 marches and retreats and slow marches. Playing competition 2/4 marches, strathspeys, reels, jigs, and hornpipes will take some time.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
C. Martin
Forum Gold Medal

As a cocky youth I had a dim view of adult learners, maybe because as a youth I had a dim view of adults!

Now, with more grey in my hair, and much more experiance with adult learners, I am pretty convinced that most adults can learn to play pretty much any tune they want.

In short, never short change yourself in learning the pipes. It is all about practice and determination. You may have to play those jigs slower than the kids next to you but, you can still play and enjoy them.

What I've also found is that adults truly appreciate the little breakthroughs in learning and get a lot more enjoyment out of the process while the kids just expect the results and want to just get on to the next challenge.
C. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

It also depends on the adult's age when starting. E.g., someone who starts learning in their 20s is going to have a big advantage over someone who starts learning at 50+. Having taught adults who start at 50+, I find that they can master slow airs, and the easier two-part and four-part march tunes that you would normally hear in parades, but strathspeys, reels, jigs, hornpipes can be a stumbling block. I try to talk to my adult students about their potential goals and keeping things achievable.

When I started (in my 20s) my pet peeve was the attention show to the kids when I attended various workshops and summer schools. Instructors felt that getting the kids out there competing was a feather in their cap, so to speak, so the adults got a bit of the short shrift. Thirty years later, however, I find the advanced classes to be no big deal, and while I will never play as well as someone who started learning at age 12, I'm not a bad rear-rank piper and have no problems keeping up! Am looking forward to the Black Bexar Pipe Band's March workshop in San Antonio!

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote