Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
Mr.met86
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Air efficient drone reeds

I have ready on some sites discussions regarding more air efficient drone reeds. I have played ezee, balance tone, and rockets, all at various times on my Hardies and vintage Hendersons.
I'll be damned I haven't really noticed a difference in air efficiency or my effort in blowing, am I missing something?
What do you find the most efficient and best sounding?
Mr.met86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #2
Milly
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Air efficient drone reeds

I believe the Rockets were the most air efficient in my experience.
Milly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
tbrown747
Forum Clasp

I find the ezees to be the most air efficient. I find the rockets to be the best sounding. Rockets can be really air efficient, but at least in my drones, they lose all of the nice tone that you want from them when they are adjusted like this. They're the one drone reed I've tried that I don't adjust based on shutoff pressure, but rather on sound.

Ezees if they're misconfigured can really suck air unlike anything else. But if you get them set right, they have a nice balance of tone and air efficiency.
tbrown747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #4
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've found Rockets to be efficient and inefficient. I've found Ezees to be efficient and inefficient. It depends on how you set them up and what pipe they're going in.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:46 PM   #5
Mctaorluath
Forum Member

Have used about 70% of the reeds on the market and would say I think Rockets made for my pipe were the most air efficient.
Mctaorluath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
RichmondPiper
Forum Silver Medal

I have been using Rockets for several years and they have always felt very air efficient in the sense that it takes little effort to get them vibrating at the correct pitch/pressure with little effort and don't seem to use more air than they need.

However, I have always understood that "air efficiency" is as much if not more a function of the drone design/build than the reed, because that determines the back pressure at which the drone reed shuts off and restarts, which is why some sets of pipes just seem easier to blow than others. On that basis, the same drone reed will feel more air efficient in one drone than another and most of us with some experience will have discovered that for ourselves. The shape and size of the bell at the top and of the bush in the drone cap are also said to have an impact on this.

Maybe the physicists amongst us can expand on this.
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
Flip MacHaggis
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I've found the best and most efficient reed are those made with a wider tongue, such as those made by crozier. I've tried ezees and canning (similar in construction) and it seemed like I was running out of wind too fast. I've done the micro adjustments to no avail. I dunno, maybe it was just my pipes ('12 McCallums).
Flip MacHaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #8
Lochaberaxe
Forum Regular

IMO McTy cane Blue Reeds are the best...ever!
Lochaberaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.met86 View Post
I have ready on some sites discussions regarding more air efficient drone reeds. I have played ezee, balance tone, and rockets, all at various times on my Hardies and vintage Hendersons.
I'll be damned I haven't really noticed a difference in air efficiency or my effort in blowing, am I missing something?
What do you find the most efficient and best sounding?
By now the replys made to your initial post should have you convinced there are no bad drone reeds out there....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #10
jd3214
Forum Silver Medal

I guess I would have asked the question a little differently. How do you know when your drone reeds are air efficient? And air efficient compared to what? Cane? Having grown up with cane, it is my impression that cane are really much more efficient than any synthetic, but, that is based on great cane reeds and playing them daily which most of us cannot do these days. I find synthetic reeds much harder to blow than cane. Maybe it is my age showing, but, I am curious as to what people think about air efficiency and how it is measured?
jd3214 is offline   Reply With Quote