Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Soda Shoppe
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Soda Shoppe For young pipers, drummers, and others not quite old enough for the beer tent.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Silver Medal

Location: College: Alma, Michigan, USA / Home: Rockford, Michigan, USA
Default Piping pet-peeve words

Hi all,Alright, so have any of you guys stopped and pondered why we use words in piping which is a peeve at best? Probably not, but I sure have. To me, the only "peevy" word that comes to mind is "blowstick" - I mean, come on, we don't play the bagsticks! You - um, what word, I was about to say the word "MacDebbie" as a synonom for 'idiot' but I certainly do not want to offend the Deborahs on here or not - including my girlfriend Deborah - or DebAdeniji. Suffice to say, you come across a word in piping and you wonder, "why do we say (this) instead of (that)?" I never say blowstick - only blowpipe. Hopefully I did not sound harsh or nerdy, I'd just thought I'd be curious.
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #2
Nathaniel
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Piping pet-peeve words

the plastic-tipped ornamented wooden straw
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #3
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think "blowstick" is a gaelic to english translation.

At least that's how it appears in subtitles on gaelic tv.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #4
tbrown747
Forum Clasp

I don't like the word "kit" to describe parts of the uniform. I don't like the term "stand" to describe an instrument and setup.

I could do without hemp being called "hemp", to avoid having to explain it.

There are also some words I do like. I like 'tenon', 'blue-tac', 'staple', 'ferrule'.

I don't really like the phrase "combed and beaded". I don't like referring to the lips of a chanter reed.

I am unsure whether I like or don't like the term "turner" to describe someone who makes drones. I like "undercutting" and "calipers".
tbrown747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:12 PM   #5
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Silver Medal

Location: College: Alma, Michigan, USA / Home: Rockford, Michigan, USA

TBrown and Nathaniel,Good ones! Quick question Nathaniel (if I'm not spelling your name correct I'm sorry, I'm using screen reader) - when you say "the plastic straw" - do you refer to the mouthpiece? To me the mouthpiece seems to be closest (straw), shape and diameter. TBrown - never thought of those terms as being a royal pain in the bass drone for lack of a euphemism. You've given me something to think about. Now if only my bff Deborah were a piper I'd ask her. She too hates "blowstick" after I asked her, because she was the one who said it's strange to think of our instrument as bagsticks. She also suggested me to ask you what you guys think of striking "in" versus striking "up".
Old 01-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kazmierski Dunn View Post

Hi all,Alright, so have any of you guys stopped and pondered why we use words in piping which is a peeve at best?

... 'FLASHERS'....... Instead of flashes. !!
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
blackeagle
Forum Regular

I have no issue with practicing fingerwork (or technique) on the chanter, but take issue when I hear folks refer to it as fingering their instrument.

I sarcastically refer to my kilt as a skirt, my sporran as a (man)purse, and my sgian dubh as a letter opener.

I occasionally call my kilt hose a pair of socks and my gillie brogues "guilty bro's".

I sometimes call the vest a 'weskit'.

I can't hear 'bonnet' (in reference to glengarry/balmoral) without picturing a shower cap in my mind.

When headgear is referred to as a 'cap' or being 'diced' I envision Waffle House hashbrowns "all the way" (diced, scattered, smothered, chunked, peppered, capped, covered, topped, and country). If you haven't savored the wonderfulness of Waffle House hashbrowns, your cholesterol level thanks you.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #8
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I don't like the term "stand" when it refers to a set of bagpipes. It seems too hip, trendy, etc.

Charlie
Old 01-06-2016, 03:22 AM   #9
Austin Diepenhorst
Forum Gold Medal

I don't like when people refer to a set of pipes as a pair. I could also do without the varient saying of the word chanter (Canter).
I wish I didn't have to explain piobaireachd or March, Strathspey, and reel every time those words leave my lips.

Austin
Austin Diepenhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:23 AM   #10
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Piping pet-peeve words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
I don't like the term "stand" when it refers to a set of bagpipes. It seems too hip, trendy, etc.

Charlie

At 32, I'm too old for this subforum but Tapatalk doesn't really organize the threads by forums so I saw this...

YES!!! We have pipes, and we have a set of them. The set of pipes consists of a bass pipe, two tenor pipes, a chanter pipe, and a blowpipe.

We do not have a stand of pipes. What is a stand? Is that like a congress of monkeys or gaggle of geese? Why invent a special word for a set of something? Makes me want to vomit.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote