Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.


Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
connpiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ct
Posts: 21
Default Solo chanter

Competing pipers, What chanters are you competing with?
I'm playing McC2 and G1 Platinum

I need a new ABW and am between;
Gandy
Hardie Infinity
Colin Kyo
Was also looking at the McCallum Ceol.
Been reading the Gandy is made by, Kyo modeled by McCallum.
Thanks for you time and input.
connpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 3,859
Default Re: Solo chanter

Naturally, you'll get a gazillion opinions!

What you're playing is an outstanding combination. That said, of your choices, I'd go with the Colin Kyo and stay with the G1 Platinum.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 5,844
Default Re: Solo chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by connpiper View Post
Been reading the Gandy is made by, Kyo modeled by McCallum.
Looks like a couple sentences got garbled together there.

To clarify, Colin Kyo chanters are nothing like McCallum chanters. They are separate companies on different continents.

If you have indeed read there is a relationship between Colin Kyo and McCallum, where did you read this? Iíll gladly remove their head from their.....sand.

I play Colin Kyo in solos. Tried a bunch of chanters but never found anything better. Since ceased looking for anything better.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,684
Default Re: Solo chanter

ABW Shepherd with MacLellan reed.

Seems that any modern chanter should work fine for solo as long as it is paired with the right reed and compliments the drones.

For my smaller hands/fingers, the Shepherd is great. I tried a Kyo a few years ago, it was a great fit for my fingers, but taming the high G was problematic. At least it was for me, cannot be sure about other pipers who play in the high and dry of Colorado.

Charlie
__________________
"Melancholy as the Drone of a Lancashire Bagpipe" (Behn, Aphra 1678. Sir Patient Fancy)
Green Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:17 PM   #5
OHCalman
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 66
Default Re: Solo chanter

Old pre-Lee Naill and a MacAlister reed ;)
Canít go wrong with a Naill. I find the spread to be smaller than the MC2, but not so small that itís hard for people with larger fingers like the Kyo.

Personally, I owned both an MC2 and a Kyo laminate. Sold both as the tone and comfort of the Naill is better than anything else out there.

Recently bought another pre-Lee Naill, but the newer ones are just as good (if not better)
OHCalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:32 AM   #6
connpiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ct
Posts: 21
Default Re: Solo chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Looks like a couple sentences got garbled together there.

To clarify, Colin Kyo chanters are nothing like McCallum chanters. They are separate companies on different continents.

If you have indeed read there is a relationship between Colin Kyo and McCallum, where did you read this? Iíll gladly remove their head from their.....sand.

I play Colin Kyo in solos. Tried a bunch of chanters but never found anything better. Since ceased looking for anything better.
I am aware they are separate, thought I read it somewhere but now I can't locate where I thought I saw it. I have been reading your reviews and this is where I am. Thanks for the imput
connpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:50 AM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 6,804
Default Re: Solo chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by connpiper View Post

Competing pipers, What chanters are you competing with?
I'm playing McC2 and G1 Platinum

.
To echo others here...what youíre playing now is superb. If you want to fiddle with other reeds..Macphee is as recommended by the Mcc2 designers...you might already know that.
If youíd rather expand a drawerful of unused chanters...any you have listed would all suffice....it usually still comes down to Ďon the dayí.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:34 AM   #8
connpiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ct
Posts: 21
Default Re: Solo chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
To echo others here...what youíre playing now is superb. If you want to fiddle with other reeds..Macphee is as recommended by the Mcc2 designers...you might already know that.
If youíd rather expand a drawerful of unused chanters...any you have listed would all suffice....it usually still comes down to Ďon the dayí.
You definitely are correct sir. Started mix matching reeds early, settled on the G1. I have heard McPhee, sure Iíve tried it at done point earlier in my playing.
Basically just trying to play with my sound, experiment if you will.
Eventually will pick up the others Iíve mentioned maybe more pipes too, tiz fun but frustrating lol.
Iíve settled on the Kyo, see how it goes!
Happy Piping and good luck this season
connpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:44 PM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 6,804
Default Re: Solo chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by connpiper View Post
You definitely are correct sir. Started mix matching reeds early, settled on the G1. I have heard McPhee, sure Iíve tried it at done point earlier in my playing.
Basically just trying to play with my sound, experiment if you will.
Eventually will pick up the others Iíve mentioned maybe more pipes too, tiz fun but frustrating lol.
Iíve settled on the Kyo, see how it goes!
Happy Piping and good luck this season
You wonít be disappointed with the Kyo....and the G1 reed likewise.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
DapperDan
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 159
Default Re: Solo chanter

Let me preface with the disclaimer that I "compete" at grade 4 level, where choice of chanter isn't much of an issue.

That said, I recently got a second-hand Strathmore blackwood chanter to use for solo playing, and I love it. Very comfortable for my bony hands, and very good resonance with the drones. I have a Husk reed in it at the moment - the combination was pretty much plug and play. I don't know when it was made, but it pitches at 476, I think he (Murray Henderson) makes them more around 480Hz now, unless you specify otherwise.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Silver Sponsor

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:49 PM.