Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
erracht
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Which of these two sets were Pipe Major Sam Scott's?

Years ago I found an entry in a catalogue-type book about a set of pipes in a Canadian museum that had been carried by Pipe Major Sam Scott, who served in the Ottawa Cameron Highlanders during World War II. Wanting to refresh this information I googled them and found references to two sets of pipes. The first one is here: https://www.warmuseum.ca/highlandwarriors/

The caption under the image that shows up when the latter is enlarged states that these are the pipes that he carried on D-Day and attributes them to the Canadian Museum of History although they are being featured in an exhibition of the Canadian War Museum. The perfectly modern set looks about right. However, if you go to the website of the Canadian Museum of History itself, you get this: https://www.historymuseum.ca/cmc/exh...re/278eng.html

The pipes shown here are an altogether different set and do NOT look like the Hendersons they are claimed to be (whereas the pipes in the first picture do look right). They look like something that could have been made in the 19th century and in fact don't even look to be full-size, more like a 3/4-size set fitted with a full-size chanter.

Which of the sets is the one played by Pipe Major Sam Scott, and what is the identity of the other one? Did the history museum switch the picture of the Pipe Major Sam Scott set with some other one?
Old 03-05-2020, 07:43 PM   #2
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Which of these two sets were Pipe Major Sam Scott's?

Hello Erracht,

I toured the War Museum's exhibit, Highland Warriors, in July 2019 and can confirm that the pipes in your first link are Sam Scott's pipes. For as many photos as I could manage through the glass, please navigate to my shared Google folder. Hope these images help answer your question. I don't know about the pipes in the second link you posted. They don't bear any resemblance to any of the pipes on display at the Highland Warriors exhibit.

There must have been a half dozen or more war pipes on display there from the two Great Wars, including V.C. Andrews' set.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
RJB
Forum Member

I love riddles.

I don't know....which one?
RJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:02 AM   #4
erracht
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPark View Post
Hello Erracht,

I toured the War Museum's exhibit, Highland Warriors, in July 2019 and can confirm that the pipes in your first link are Sam Scott's pipes. For as many photos as I could manage through the glass, please navigate to my shared Google folder. Hope these images help answer your question. I don't know about the pipes in the second link you posted. They don't bear any resemblance to any of the pipes on display at the Highland Warriors exhibit.

There must have been a half dozen or more war pipes on display there from the two Great Wars, including V.C. Andrews' set.

Great pictures. A typical mid-century Henderson.