Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-30-2020, 05:21 PM   #1
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Default Best sounding bagpipes you’ve heard?

What would be, in your personal opinion, the best sounding bagpipe set up you have heard in real life and/or recording?

I know recordings are pretty inaccurate due to the limitations posed by the recording devices along with the microphone set up, and the room shape. There are a lot of amazing sounding pipes I have heard; however I’d have to say the sound that has really captivated me as of late, is the sound from the “World’s Greatest Pipers” with Murray Henderson playing. I love that big, dark, haunting, timbre of his chanter, and how his playing compliments it. (Would anyone know what his setup was in that recording or at that time?)
Old 03-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
magsevenband
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Best sounding bagpipes you’ve heard?

Here's the best I've heard in quite some time..when they talk about the old school ring off the metal soled chanters, well this it, even though some will deny the existence of this phenomenon...it they don't hear it, they need their hearing checked.
The fantastic Stuart Lidell...go to the 14:00 mark and also 19:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVAVE5i_10Q&t=3437s

Last edited by magsevenband; 03-30-2020 at 06:34 PM.
magsevenband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:59 PM   #3
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

I could definitely believe it.

I hear how some pipers believe that under the right circumstances a pipe made of cocuswood can “ring”.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:05 PM   #4
piper909
Forum Silver Medal

Ian MacDonald had a tremendous pipe at workshops in San Antonio, 2007 or 2008. I always remember that. And the late E.D. Neigh always had the most amazing sounding practice chanter I've EVER heard (a blackwood Gibson, with Gibson reed), it had the most brilliant, melancholy tone, quite unlike any PC I've ever heard elsewhere. He would play ceol mor on it and it would be just breathtaking. Nothing like your ordinary PC.
piper909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:17 PM   #5
Milly
Forum Silver Medal

I would agree with Your choice of Ian MacDonald. I make a point of listening to Ian at our Ontario Highland games. A tremendous piper with an outstanding pipe
Milly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:34 PM   #6
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

OH, what a difficult question, for there were so many times...and I was probably drinking!

Seriously, there have been too many times I've been moved by the sound from so many pipers. I remember being entranced by Bruce Gandy's sound in a recording. At the Lord Todd in, I think 2006, Jack Lee's pipes sounded unbelievable. Murray Henderson in Seattle at a performance. I could go on and on; but, in part, the point is that sometimes things just come together for so many performers at some event...and not necessarily professionals. It's magic when it happens to any (well, not really magic, for the piper deserves credit for his/her setup and sound).
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:49 PM   #7
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post
Here's the best I've heard in quite some time..when they talk about the old school ring off the metal soled chanters, well this it, even though some will deny the existence of this phenomenon...it they don't hear it, they need their hearing checked.

I coudn’t hear it, but maybe an iPad can not resolve those subtleties. I play an ABW Shepherd chanter with silver sole and love it. I don’t know if it gets that “ring” you’re describing.

Someone mentioned Cocuswood also producing a ringing sound. Is that the same with drones?

Charlie
Old 03-31-2020, 10:11 PM   #8
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post
What would be, in your personal opinion, the best sounding bagpipe set up you have heard in real life and/or recording?

I know recordings are pretty inaccurate due to the limitations posed by the recording devices along with the microphone set up, and the room shape. There are a lot of amazing sounding pipes I have heard; however I’d have to say the sound that has really captivated me as of late, is the sound from the “World’s Greatest Pipers” with Murray Henderson playing. I love that big, dark, haunting, timbre of his chanter, and how his playing compliments it. (Would anyone know what his setup was in that recording or at that time?)

Jack Lee's lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:08 PM   #9
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamhCabrachPiping View Post
Jack Lee's lol

What’s so funny? Are you thinking of that juice video?
Old 03-31-2020, 11:09 PM   #10
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post
What’s so funny? Are you thinking of that juice video?

No after hearing jack play solo live I'm pretty convinced the man is one with the tone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote