Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Drumming > Side / Snare
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Side / Snare Pipe Bands or Solo - if it relates to Drumming...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-02-2001, 08:29 PM   #1
duncan
Forum Member

Default More contests

Does anyone else think we need more than the World Solo Drumming Championships in Bathgate for drummers to test their worth?
Pipers get more chances to learn the ins and outs of big contest playing, i.e., Inverness, Oban, London, Dan Reid etc. etc.
duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-02-2001, 11:41 PM   #2
Blair Brown

Default Re: More contests

Quote:
Originally posted by duncan:
Does anyone else think we need more than the World Solo Drumming Championships in Bathgate for drummers to test their worth?
Pipers get more chances to learn the ins and outs of big contest playing, i.e., Inverness, Oban, London, Dan Reid etc. etc.
Right Duncan. You now have 11 months to go for the next contest. Don't get the flu that weekend.
Should be a prize for the best Piper. Can I enter the World Solo Rope Drum ... no .. but maybe
the Mylar Head Only World Solo ... Blondes'only? World Drum Pad .. My 5 drummers head to
head against your 5 drummers

C Ewe Thursday

Buzzman
Blair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 03:21 PM   #3
BDDF
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally posted by duncan:

I haven't kept too up to date on this, but what happened to the John Kirkwood Sr Memorial Solo Contest?

I found results from 1995 - 1998, and then 2000, is the contest defunct? Or just every second year now?

I know that's only one other, but it is one.

I remember a few years back when I played with City of Regina, Ryan Sullivan had wanted to get a solo contest going for the praies/west coast. For gr1/pro players.

I think the idea was to have the prize be a paid trip to the Kirkwood Contest to compete. It never ended up flying. But I think it was a good idea.

Now that I mention it, maybe I can start to get something like that organized here in Calgary.

You'd come out, wouldn't you Duncan?

I actually have to get going to teach in an hour or so. What does everyone else around here think?
BDDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 09:38 AM   #4
Celtic Mitch
Holy smoking keyboard!

The Niagara Hamilton branch of the PPBSO holds the George Harrison Memorial Drumming Invitational every year in March. We are making an attempt to make this competition on a higher profile, bring in big name judges and opening the invitations up to more players on the North American scene. Past winners include, J Reid Maxwell, Michael Hunter, Graham Kirkwood, Harvey Dawson to name a few. We need the interest of the drumming and piping community to make these events happen. As far as I know, the John Kirkwood Sr. is going to held every other year, so look for it in 2002.

So much emphasis is put on the piping scene that the drumming contests get overlooked. Pipers, you would be surprised at how many drummers attend your events, but it seems the crowd for the drumming events are mostly drummers. That is really a shame.

For more information on the Harrison, contact me at celticmitch@hotmail.com

Michele Curtis
Secretary
Niagara Hamilton Branch PPBSO
Old 12-06-2001, 09:08 AM   #5
Ollie
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Yes, I definately think there should be more solo competitions. Pipers have them so why not for the drummers. Maybe it would be an idea to set up a drummers association same as you have for pipers and organise your own competitions?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 10:35 PM   #6
bort
Forum Member

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: Borton ]
bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 10:36 PM   #7
bort
Forum Member

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: Borton ]
Old 12-14-2001, 11:41 PM   #8
Iain MacDonald
Forum Silver Medal

O.K. Tim, I think you made your point!!
Iain MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 11:05 AM   #9
bort
Forum Member

sorry about the two empty messages. i think i have it figured out now. what i was saying was that i have seriously caught the solo drumming bug and have a few questions/comments. for one, i have been dabbling on the idea of having some sort of drumming weekend here in regina, but i'm having some problems getting it off the ground. sort of a grade one/pro competition/workshop. any ideas on how someone even starts to organize something like that? second, how would i get my hands on a kirkwood solo competition entry form? i've looked everywhere and can't find one. and last, when playing solo in grade one, would i have to submit two msr's or just one? thanks....boooooorton
Old 12-31-2001, 02:57 PM   #10
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Yes, I definately think there should be more solo competitions. Pipers have them so why not for the drummers. Maybe it would be an idea to set up a drummers association same as you have for pipers and organise your own competitions
IT would actually be easier than setting up a whole new association. Step up to the plate and organize something. Write your Band Association a letter, tell them you are interested in organizing a contest. Draw up an entry form and rules that are consistent with the Associations guidelines, start tracking down Judges. The only hard part is funding. Especially in the upper grades, where flying in a Judge may be involved.

OR get involved with an existing games that does not have too much in the way of drumming or none at all. Often times, games like this are not all that aware that there is much of an interest. Unfortunatly funding is sometimes a problem, games do like to recover some of the funds in entry fees. (go ahead explain to your local games director how much its going to cost.. IF you have better time of it than I have, consider yourself lucky)
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote