Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-26-2006, 02:01 PM   #11
JFE
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: No Frasers in Maxville!?!

This is a shame Does anyone remember grade 1 bands in Ontario in the early eighties.There was alot of creativity and risks that were taken along with alot more bands in this grade.Unfortanatley the win the worlds or else has taken its toll.
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #12
Barbarian
Forum Member

When a band like the 78ths has Won Maxville so many times, Chasing the Big One does not seem such a Big Deal.

Maxville will still be a great contest. Grade 2 has been the grade to watch for the past 10 years, why will it change now.

The Axeman.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:40 AM   #13
R_BARR
Forum Silver Medal

The whole push to win the World's is a weight on any band, in any grade! If the Frasers are not going to be at Maxville because they have decided to play at BOA the week prior I think thats good for the band. They have a plan are going through with it. I do not think that it has anything to do with Bill making a push because of age. I believe that band has been making a push to win it again since 1987. Yes the Frasers will be missed at Maxville, even by the other grade1 bands. To be the best...........you must first beat the best!

2 cents.

Barr
Old 01-27-2006, 07:49 AM   #14
neilly
Forum Regular

Didn't Ric Flair say that?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:20 AM   #15
Scott Foster
Forum Silver Medal

Who, the nature boy?lol
Old 01-27-2006, 09:30 PM   #16
Highland Harry
Forum Silver Medal

Cruel?

Bill is 63, do you think he's going to keep doing this forever?

Maybe if they really pushed it, he could retire at 66 or 68 with one more World Championship.
You just don't decide that you're going to win the World Championship because you have a plan.

Problem is, everyone else has the same plan!
Old 01-28-2006, 05:21 AM   #17
Pied Piper 2005
Forum Member

Maxville is a fantastic competition and i was there in 2005 for the first timeand will be there again in 2006. But to be fair to 78th, The Worlds will always to pressadence over Maxville, as it has the elite of the elite there year in and year out.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:24 AM   #18
Sydney
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

A band's decision to attend or not attend any highland games is their decision alone.

I don't understand why there is such a big uproar over the 78th missing Maxville, but no one seems to blink an eye over the fact that the Toronto Police have also decided to skip playing at Maxville.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:05 AM   #19
Highland Harry
Forum Silver Medal

Think about this for one moment!

Maxville is supposed to be the North American Pipe Band championships which the festival organizers pay alot of money to the PPBSO to host this event.

If some of the top bands can't be bothered to attend, you don't leave the piping Society much of a bargaining chip?

Like it or not, bands do have a responcibility to support their own piping society, else why bother with one?

Santioned contests could become a thing of the past!
Old 01-28-2006, 08:51 AM   #20
Go Habs
Forum Regular

Quote:
Like it or not, bands do have a responcibility to support their own piping society, else why bother with one?
Bands skip small local games here in North America in the leadup to Maxville due to costs, extra travel time, extra prep for the big event. I know my band here in Nova Scotia has not gone to the Fredericton games for a number of years all in an attempt to be better prepared for Maxville.

I question whether it is a good thing for the pipe band world to put so much emphasis on mega events like the Worlds or Maxville.