Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-17-2007, 06:06 PM   #21
the fishiologist
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Air Canada hassles from KC

Quote:
Originally posted by Miniracer:
Recently, a German youth/tourist ended up in "Sidney", Montana instead of Sydney, Australia. Needless to say, he was not prepared for the weather. In this case, it was his own fault because he booked his own flight on the internet and it was his typo. He was probably thrilled at the low price. Family ended up wiring him another 650 euros so he could continue on. Duh!
I don't know if it happened again, or if it's the same story, but there was an article in the news a couple of years back about a british youth ending up in Sydney, Nova Scotia when she tried to book a ticket to Sydney Australia. I seem to remember that it was her first time travelling overseas, so the fact that it only took 4 hours, and that she had to change planes in Halifax didn't clue her in...

I fly AC all the time. They seem to have favorite routes for losing luggage, but i'm usually lucky. the "charge you for every 'convenience' policy" drives me nuts though. you don't even get crackers any more on their 2-hour flights.

British Airways and Zoom have given me problems before though. BA lost my luggage for 2 days (thankfully, i was on my way home so it didn't matter so much), and Zoom lost one of my bandmates' bags for the entire 10 days that she was in scotland for the worlds last summer. she had to buy all new clothes and borrow a uniform.
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-18-2007, 08:21 AM   #22
HepcatBob
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Lyman:

Interesting you should call it Northworst as on our recent trip to London ...
That's good news, Bob. I glad to hear they've gotten better. There was a time, a few years ago, when they were notorious for their bad service.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #23
Ima Piper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I travelled last year with Zoom to Scotland (with the fishiologist) and I did not enjoy the flight at all. I did not find the attendants friendly or very willing to help and of course our group had lost a few pieces of luggage. Two years ago I made the same trip with AC and the service was great, the staff very friendly and helpful and of our 30 odd pieces of equipment and luggage for our small 10 person group none was lost and although mine was slightly damaged but still perfectly useful they replaced it with a new piece of my choice!!
That said, I still prefer WestJet when I have that option.

"You make a living out of what you get, you make a Life out of what you give"
Old 01-18-2007, 07:03 PM   #24
Bill Marshall
Forum Regular

As you may recall from the Heathrow debacle during the terrorist scare when 10,000 pieces of luggage got 'misplaced', it's the airport's baggage handlers who handle the luggage, not any individual airline in most cases. Foul-ups can happen anywhere on any airline. I've flown AC maybe 30 times in 30 years and only once had a delay in the luggage getting there. I think there's a likelihood of more bad luck than bad airlines.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #25
Chairman Mao
Holy smoking keyboard!

Air Canada is generally pretty good - if you ever travel with a company like Delta, or use a charter like Air Transat...

But I heard a story last summer of a nice couple from England booking with Air Canada for their dream trip to Australia. No one saw - or mentioned - a problem during the booking of the trip, or even noticed that Air Canada doesn't fly to Australia, and the couple ended up in Sydney, Nova Scotia...

***Edit***
I just did a search on the story ... The couple booked on-line, so it was their fault... here's the link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2172858.stm

Scott
Old 01-19-2007, 10:17 AM   #26
pmjwright
Forum Silver Medal

Too many wrong Sidney's in this world. Here's link to Miniracer's story:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe...eut/index.html
but it wasn't Air Canada.

YYJ Victoria International Airport, which AC flies to, is located next to Sidney BC. No stories of lost tourists there wishing they were in Oz.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #27
MrsBart
Forum Regular

I was returning home to Oz from Vancouver via LA to Sydney on an AC "package".

When the flight took off 3 hours late due to an over-fueling error, I missed my connection in LA and was stuck at the airport at 11pm (everything is closed and Im in a secure area as I went through US immigration in Vancouver).

AC told me they would organise getting me on another flight home the following day but Id have to wait in the terminal for 12 hours.
A few hours later, AC was pleased to tell me they had got me a seat on another flight-share arrangement to Sydney.
"That will be a $300 rebooking fee please."
"WTF??"

They had the nerve to try and make me pay for their mistake saying it was the usual policy when having to change people to flights the following day after missing their assigned seat. Bollocks it was! I don't think the customer service rep knew his bum from his elbow. Im surprised he knew how to dress himself in the morning.

I made a call to Qantas and appealed to their usual kindness and they got me on a flight at 6am to Melbourne at no cost (they had a way to bill AC for such ridiculous occurences) where I spoke to the domestic branch of Qantas who also waived the change of ticket fee out of sympathy and got me home - and sooner than AC could have managed it.

The Qantas rep made me promise to fly with Qantas in the future...which I have done wherever possible.

AC?? Never ever again.....
Old 01-19-2007, 11:03 PM   #28
Nick_MacKavelly
Forum Gold Medal

Air Canada lost my luggage going to Scotland in 1998 - it took them 47 hours to get it all back - just fast enough that they didn't give me money. All I had were my pipes, as they were carried on the plane. On the way back, this numpty made me check my pipes, because the case was about a cm too long. I warned him that if something happened, they would be responsible. Sure enough, there was a cracked stock, and they had to replace it.

On another, national flight, I was getting on the plane, and I had a discman. I had those small wrap-around ear phones, which I left in my ears when I got on the plane, even though I had turned the discman off. When I got on the plane, one of the male flight attendants told me to turn it off. I told him I had, he said nothing, and I took my seat. About five minutes later, this same flight attendant comes up to me, and is visible upset. He yells at me to take my headphones off, as he has told me already to do so. He then goes on a diatribe about listening to the instructions of flight staff (keep in mind, this is pre-9/11). I kindly reminded him that he had not asked me to take the headphones off, but rather had asked me to turn off my discman, which I had already done, prior to boarding the flight. He then threatened to throw me off the plane, to which I said he had no cause. He said I would have to speak with the Captain in Calgary, which I informed him I was happy to do.

When we arrived in Calgary, I looked down the aisle to the cabin, to see if the Captain was unoccupied. While I was looking down, this flight attendant popped out from the side, and looked at me. I continued trying to discern if the Captain was busy or not - as I wanted to speak to him about the absolutely ridiculous actions of his crew member. This attendant then charged down the aisle and got right in my face, saying that I was "starring him down, and we both knew what that meant." I told him that I wasn't starring him down, and that if I was going to do something to him, I would have done it already. I then went and spoke to another attendant, who apologized profusely, and told me that there was no need to speak to the Captain.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #29
pmjwright
Forum Silver Medal

The women's hockey team from Nova Scotia came to play at the Esso Nationals in Salmon Arm last week. The team flew Air Canada, so naturally...their entire set of hockey sticks didn't arrive. None!! Needless to say, the ladies had to beg borrow and buy sticks for their first game, and no doubt the distraction affected their play somewhat, they lost badly.

The sticks were finally tracked down in Kamloops two days later--every one of them broken!!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 01:25 AM   #30
Piper_06
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by pmjwright:
The women's hockey team from Nova Scotia came to play at the Esso Nationals in Salmon Arm last week. The team flew Air Canada, so naturally...their entire set of hockey sticks didn't arrive. None!! Needless to say, the ladies had to beg borrow and buy sticks for their first game, and no doubt the distraction affected their play somewhat, they lost badly.

The sticks were finally tracked down in Kamloops two days later--every one of them broken!!!!
Maybe someone on the opposing team worked for the airline