Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
kaypiob
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Knuckle Cracking

I've noticed since I started piping that the number of times a day I crack/pop my knuckles (an awful habit, I know) has dramatically increased compared to before. I thought it would be interesting to see who else is cracking, and how often.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
Christopher
Forum Regular

Default Re: Knuckle Cracking

I try very hard not to crack my knuckles. Sometimes when I'm stretching my fingers they pop but other than that I never crack them.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:14 AM   #3
phyx
Forum Clasp

I've been cracking my knuckles constantly since I was about 7 or 8 years old. Everyone keeps threatening me with arthritis or some such.

Personally, I think it's BS. Cracking knuckles or other joints is just a release of gases built up in the fluids between your bones. Your joints will release the gases whether you crack or not. Cracking is just a more forcible way of doing it.

I'm a pretty firm believer that arthritis will happen whether you crack or not. If you're going to get it, not cracking won't help. I know many people with bad arthritis that never cracked a knuckle, and many with bad arthritis that have.

Personally, if I don't crack, my fingers feel stiffer and less relaxed. A good cracking solves that right away.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:18 AM   #4
Tommy P.
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm 53 and I've been a knuckle cracker for about 45 of them,....and I don't have arthritis in any of the joints as a result.
The only two that are messed up on account of arthritis are the two that I beat the crap out of for years with a 20 oz. framing hammer.

Google "Cracking your knuckles", there's a lot of info available.

If your parents think it's annoying, I would suggest you not do it in front of them.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:27 AM   #5
Glen Morehead
Forum Regular

Yup, I've been popping mine for 40+ years, too. I've tried to stop a few times, but mine are more comfortable if I go ahead and pop them a few times a day. It's an addiction. Plus, one of them has recently started doing a glorious "crick-it-it-tick", so that's aurally satisfying, too... All my fingers are very limber, with no hint of arthritis (unlike my knees and elbows). I had my elbows x-rayed early last year, and they got my hands in the shots, too, so I have an orthopedic surgeon's word for the "no arthritis" in the fingers.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
C. Coleman
Forum Regular

I just thought that I'd let everyone know that after reading this thread I had to crack my knuckles....... kind of like contageous yawning.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:08 AM   #7
rpeitzsch
Holy smoking keyboard!

I refer to my joints as "Rice Krispies joints": snap, crackle, pop!.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
Don Robertson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yeeeeeeeeck !! That's a sound I can not stand. My wife pops the very end joint on her fingers and it just makes me squirm. I agree with phyx though, I don't think there's any real harm. Any Doc's want to comment ?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #9
Iain Sherwood
Holy smoking keyboard!

George Carlin had a great routine on knuckle cracking.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
Kevin F. Gilstrap
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by phyx:
I've been cracking my knuckles constantly since I was about 7 or 8 years old. Everyone keeps threatening me with arthritis or some such.

Personally, I think it's BS.
Well, I think it's BS too. I've been cracking my knuckles since I was kid too, like you. Now I'm almost 46 and many hands are really no different than when I was 18, except maybe couple wrinkles. Not a speck of arthritis.