Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

Default Robertsons with black mounts

A friend has Robertsons with black mounts from his days as a boy Soldier in the British Army. They could be wood, or they could be some artificial substance - it is hard to tell.

He says that Robertsons were the usual Army pipes in his teens.

Does anyone have info on this kind of Robertson?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
bstodg
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Robertsons with black mounts

Ringo Bowen's Bagpipe Place museum says that Robertson used both white and black casein for his artificial mounts. I've got a white casein soled Robertson practice chanter, and it has that chalky appearance to it. I've never seen black casein, but I would think that you would be able to tell the difference between wood and black casein. I have no idea when Robertson used casein, or when they stopped using it, but he did use a black artificial material for mounts, evidently.

Hope that helps.

-Burt
bstodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

Thanks, that helps a lot.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
Glazenn
Holy smoking keyboard!

Good example here:

Source: Dubai Pipe Band website
Glazenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
Glazenn
Holy smoking keyboard!

Detail of projecting mounts for the J. Robertson pipes shown in my post just above:

Note that the beads under or above the PJ - that is normally part of the PJ or a separate piece made in the same material - are most likely wooden, and a single piece with the rest of the joint here.
Only the larger part of the PJ is made from artificial material : bakelite, casein, catalin ? I really don't know...

Last edited by Glazenn; 03-27-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
John F
Forum Regular

I thought the mounts on my Robertsons were wood, until one of them was broken (the cat tipped over a big urn that fell down on the pipes)

They weren't wood, but you certainly couldn't tell from looking at them. But then my pipes are Ebony and very dark.

John
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
Glazenn
Holy smoking keyboard!

In my last post above, please replace 'PJ' by 'PM' (for Projecting Mount).
Old 03-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazenn View Post
Detail of projecting mounts for the J. Robertson pipes shown in my post just above:

Note that the beads under or above the PJ - that is normally part of the PJ or a separate piece made in the same material - are most likely wooden, and a single piece with the rest of the joint here.
Only the larger part of the PJ is made from artificial material : bakelite, casein, catalin ? I really don't know...

PJ mounts made of two separate pieces occur on earlier pipes, mostly with ivory. I have a set made around 1860/70 with ivory projecting discs completed with a bone ring on their underside, thus reducing the cost of the expensive material. All the other fittings are made of bone.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Scott Russell
Forum Silver Medal

My 40's Brazilwood Robertson

Old 09-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #10
Grant L
Forum Silver Medal

Mine are like the Brazilwood depicted above. I bought them from a friend in Cape Town. The bushes are painted and one was broken, so I had it replaced with plastic. Is there any chance that the original bushes and ring caps are made of ivory? How can one tell?
Grant L is offline   Reply With Quote