Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-09-2019, 06:02 AM   #41
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Canmore Hybrid bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwindbag View Post
I currently have the Canmore with the rubber collars. I have long arms and my hand position isn't comfortable. Grips and birls are crisp on the PC and sloppy on the pipes. If I go the bag without the collars, I can adjust and tie them in a better position for my hands.

Any issues tying in the stocks? Any harder than a hide bag?

Thanks
Nope, not at all. I did this no problem with a Canmore Hybrid I had a few years ago. You'll likely have to order direct from Iain at Canmore in Scotland, I don't think anyone stocks non-grommet bags.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-09-2019, 06:08 AM   #42
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
I currently have the Canmore with the rubber collars. I have long arms and my hand position isn't comfortable. Grips and birls are crisp on the PC and sloppy on the pipes. If I go the bag without the collars, I can adjust and tie them in a better position for my hands.

Thanks
Tie in a hybrid Canmore? Im doubtful its possible to end up airtight as a leather bag. If you contact Canmore Id guess theyll say the same.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:11 AM   #43
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
Nope, not at all. I did this no problem with a Canmore Hybrid I had a few years ago. You'll likely have to order direct from Iain at Canmore in Scotland, I don't think anyone stocks non-grommet bags.
Quite surprised...the slippery nature of the bag interior against the wood and porosity would seem contra.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #44
dwindbag
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
Any issues with the bag being airtight? Are you still playing it? Any other observations? I don't want to deal with a hide bag. The hybrids are the best of all worlds for me.
dwindbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #45
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Any issues with the bag being airtight? Are you still playing it? Any other observations? I don't want to deal with a hide bag. The hybrids are the best of all worlds for me.
No, not at all. I used a thicker artificial waxed sinew and it worked well. I suggest using the 'star' method for tying in, as you have some material to secure as you're tying. I'm not playing it currently, as I tied it on a student's pipes and it's still going strong after 3 years.

The Canmore Hybrid is great at breathing and I don't get a build up of moisture in the back of the bag using my tube trap like I did with my Bannatyne bag.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:20 AM   #46
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:

Thanks
I'm actually wondering something similar. I got a swiveling blowpipe for my extended small hybrid canmore and it made a pretty noticeable difference in how everything felt. I had an extended medium because it didn't sit quite right where the smaller extended bag did with the same original blowpipe. However with the swiveling blowpipe I'm able to get things really ideal for my elbow and arms but now my top hand is sometimes at an odd angle or wrist is a bit kinked which gets uncomfortable in longer sessions because I'm pulling a smaller bag into my body and my elbow moves more in and out because there is a smaller reservoir of air.

Been thinking about going back to the extended medium but actually just doing full tie-in, no grommets. I had this on a medium hybrid Bannatyne years ago and it worked really well. It let the drones and blowpipe fall more naturally and pulled some of the girth in below the drones like an actual hide bag.