Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #1
bethedrone
Forum Member

Default Most durable synthetic bag?

Which synthetic bag do you think is the longest lasting most durable?
Been using a certain brand , but the bags are blowing out too quickly, and it costs a fortune
to send them over seas and back to be repaired even when under warranty. Too lazy and too wet of a blower to go back to sheepskin.
thank you!
bethedrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-24-2018, 12:32 AM   #2
David D.
Forum Regular

Default Re: most durable synth bag?

I have two Bannatyne hybrid bags that are still going with no signs if failing. One is over 6 years old and the other is 4.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:45 AM   #3
Chris Knife
Forum Silver Medal

My experience is that the Bannatyne hybrid has legs. I have one that's 5 years closing on 6 and no signs of giving up (hope I didn't jinx anything!).

Chris
Old 07-24-2018, 06:56 AM   #4
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

My Canmore Hybrid seems to be holding up well after 2 years. Can't go wrong with a Bannatyne, either. I think the big thing with synthetic bags is properly managing moisture to prolong their life.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:12 AM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

If a bag is under warranty it should be replaced by the retailer...no questions asked.

Neither of the two ‘big’ syn bag makers accept a faulty bag shipped back to repair it. So they’ve told me...; twice I’ve had leaking bags replaced by the USA retailer.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Returning to the "durability" factor .. with the folks who are mentioning how long their bags have lasted, could they also comment on how long/often they're playing per year/week?

For example, if someone is getting "five years" out of their bag, but they play no more than an hour or so per week ... simply saying "five years" could be misleading to one who plays for about an hour or more every day.

I'm anxious to find a synthetic bag that'll last me more than two years, but I do play a heck of a lot ... hence my interest.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yer right. And some even get 7-10 years out of a syn bag... In between various hiatae and other deviations.

From what I’ve gathered from multiple steadfast players I’d say several years is about the norm lifespan. And probably greatly why the makers Offer only a two year warranty. Unfortunately unlikely we’d be able to adequately fix a leaky zipper ( at least ,I couldn’t) but regluing a taped seam is feasible for a while though.

Would be interesting to hear from eg Red Hot 🌶 Pipers etc,..how long they can use a syn bag.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #8
bethedrone
Forum Member

Default Re: Most durable synthetic bag?

Thanks everybody that was very helpful. I play about 3 to 7 times a week but have fewer problems than others in our band. Others play seldom and bags are blowing out before warranty up. I rarely get more than 2 to 3 years out of a bag. I never put my pipes in a case, afraid it would damage the grommets. i do use moisture system, can't play with out it.
And after every session i leave zipper open with cannister hanging out and mike my kitty litter before every session. I'll give the Bannatyne a try.
Pppiper would you mind divulging what brand of bag you use?
thanks
More comments welcome.
bethedrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #9
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Gold Medal

I'm on 5 years and 2 years respectively on two separate standard, non-hybrid Bannatyne bags. Played 3 or so times a week for 45-90 minute each time... Both are still completely airtight.
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:39 PM   #10
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethedrone View Post
Thanks everybody that was very helpful. I play about 3 to 7 times a week but have fewer problems than others in our band. Others play seldom and bags are blowing out before warranty up. I rarely get more than 2 to 3 years out of a bag. I never put my pipes in a case, afraid it would damage the grommets. i do use moisture system, can't play with out it.
And after every session i leave zipper open with cannister hanging out and mike my kitty litter before every session. I'll give the Bannatyne a try.
Pppiper would you mind divulging what brand of bag you use?
thanks
More comments welcome.
Be sure to use that Silicone lubricant on your zipper. With out it you can get leaks. Silicone is the only thing recommended and I would recommend a monthly check up to make sure it's still looking well lubed.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote