Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
djmclaws
Forum Member

Default Gibson Stealth Drone Reed's Bonus Feature

First, to qualify my feedback, I'm definitely not in the same league as many of the great pipers in this forum. Just a journeyman grade IV band member.

After about 10 years on my first set of drone reeds (that have been recommended in this forum for Gibson's on several posts), I decided to purchase and try out Gibson's Stealth drone reeds, and have been using them for about a month now. They have performed the same as others in the forum have already posted (deeper, louder bass, very air efficient). But one huge unexpected benefit I notice is that my cut-offs are almost effortless. I don't use any appliances (valves or tone enhancers). I've struggled before trying to stay at a good steady pressure at the end when hitting a note or embellishment just before you need to hit the cut-off. For me, this is now much better and easier with these Stealth reeds. I know there are other factors, like the bag ( mine's a Bannatyne WMC hybrid), but I thought I'd share what, for me, was an unexpected benefit
djmclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #2
MichiganGaidar
Forum Member

Default Re: Gibson Stealth Drone Reed's Bonus Feature

This is a benefit of large-tongued reeds in general, and the Gibson are the only Highland bagpipe reeds I've personally encountered with tongues proportionally large enough to not make unwanted noises before the bag is at full inflation. I also understand that the bridle (size and tension) and the manner of curvature (set curvature like Ezee or Kinnaird, flat with a curved body like Balance Tone or Crozier, flat with a "fulcrum" like Gibson or Xtreme) affect this characteristic. Again, Gibson are the only GHB reeds I've used (and I don't have thatgreat a collection) that don't suffer from unwanted noises being made before the bag is fully inflated.

Having played gaida and diple, which only allow for large-tongued cane or elder reeds (well, some gaida makers are experimenting with composite and carbon reeds, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms), this is how I have previously expected reeds to behave: the small-tongued reeds like Ezee are, to me, a strange and perplexing design, especially considering how greatly Highland pipers value clean starts and stops.
MichiganGaidar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:04 AM   #3
djmclaws
Forum Member

Default Re: Gibson Stealth Drone Reed's Bonus Feature

Thanks. That makes sense. The tounges are definitely wider than my previous reeds.
djmclaws is offline   Reply With Quote