Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-08-2018, 06:44 AM   #11
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Reed never stabilises

How long does it take before you see visible moisture on/around the reed?
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-10-2018, 07:28 PM   #12
PMT
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Reed never stabilizes

A chanter reed rising in pitch is usually dry. Moisture brings the pitch down. Warmth brings it up when playing. It becomes a balancing act. A plastic chanter stock also will not help until you get moisture on it, wood will hold moisture and is more constant in its release. The false stocks that keep the reed with some moisture can also flatten the reed before you start, then having a system like Ross that dries and warms the air can cause this problem. I think you will find it is a multi faceted issue that needs some trial and experimentation.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #13
Chunter
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Thanks for all of your responses -

Typically after a 30 min blow, the chanter stock and chanter seat will be wet, however the rest of the bag is bone dry (though usually a bit warm).

After more testing, the pitch has been slowly in it's ascension. Excellent!

The pitch doesn't flatten after a long session (as you would expect due to excess moisture), however the chanter stock/seat is still usually quite wet.

I'm wondering if where I store the pipes may be the root cause of the issue. Perhaps the chanter stock is too cold before I start playing?

Anyone else have a wet chanter stock/chanter seat after playing, but have a dry bag/drone reeds?

Charlie
Chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #14
Potsdam
Forum Member

Moisture can cause make a reed more pliable which will cause it to go sharper. (Before saturation the reed and causing it to go flat)

A few questions:
1) Where do you practice? If you're in a room with closed doors it will heat up and make the bagpipe creep sharp over the course of an hour.

2) Is the hose off of your blowstick or chanter?

2a) Have you checked the hose for cracks?
(Cork the end of the stock and blow into it. You should feel the air pressure push back)

Cheers
Ross

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Potsdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:47 PM   #15
Chunter
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potsdam View Post
Moisture can cause make a reed more pliable which will cause it to go sharper. (Before saturation the reed and causing it to go flat)

A few questions:
1) Where do you practice? If you're in a room with closed doors it will heat up and make the bagpipe creep sharp over the course of an hour.

2) Is the hose off of your blowstick or chanter?

2a) Have you checked the hose for cracks?
(Cork the end of the stock and blow into it. You should feel the air pressure push back)

Cheers
Ross

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks for your response Ross.

1) I alternate between a few practice locations. It's currently quite cold here in Aus outside. I play in:

- A small, enclosed practice room
- A chapel (windows open)
- Drawing room (large room)

2) I have a hose to the blowpipe. I trialled a chanter hose, but that made the chanter reed harder (increased resistance) and it took longer for the reed to settle.

3) I have extensively tested all the hoses in my bag - no leaks.

I've never had an issue with wet drones, so the canister system seems to be working fine. I wonder if it is a pipe bag/cold chanter stock issue.

Charlie
Chunter is offline   Reply With Quote