Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-01-2018, 06:29 AM   #21
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Ross system and strike-ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
But I do question the wisdom of giving beginners finicky setups, rather than forgiving setups.
I might actually question the wisdom of giving a beginner an overly forgiving setup. As you say, an experienced player can readily adapt to various bags/set ups ... one gains that experience from working with a variety of setups, and learning how to handle them. If the set up they start on takes nearly no effort to operate, then they haven't learned how to employ such effort .. thus, they aren't gaining very much experience. It's for the same reason that kids are taught to do simple arithmetic by hand and on paper, before they're given a calculator.

However, there is of course a fine line between giving a beginner something that takes a little effort to get used to, and something that's so difficult, that it's discouraging.

In the case of my friend's son, he has an excellent instructor who will be there to guide and encourage him. So did I when I was his age ... my first bag was one of the earliest Canmore Goretex bags, and it was quite an experience learning how to strike those things in, and do a clean cut off. I also had all cane reeds, which was a struggle in itself.

That's the point though, I learned; and that experience did wonders in making me more adaptable as a player.

Cheers,
~Nate

Last edited by Pppiper; 05-01-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-01-2018, 06:31 AM   #22
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
For sure, I believe the strike-in issue is usually a calibration issue more than anything- your reeds will react a bit differently with a MCS cup/insert/hose setup than with no MCS hooked up.
Very good point.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #23
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

I also started with all cane drone reeds and an Apps (HARD!) chanter reed that I blew and blew with my corked drones until it either softened or I hardened..LOL.

The cane sound I loved. No doubt. My instructors also the first time I played--"ahh that cane sound..wow..." as this was the time when Mark Wygents reeds had come out and they had all converted.

When I went to synthetic I'll never forget how excited I was, and yet the change was dramatic with the sound they made to my ears. But the ease of use was also dramatic as compared to stealing hairs from my wife's brush and then the constant adjusting I did the older they got.

Darn I miss my cane reeds now. What were we talking about?
plainspiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #24
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
I might actually question the wisdom of giving a beginner an overly forgiving setup.
Aye, you're right, just give that overly-forgiving setup to me
Old 05-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #25
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Someone mentioned their experience here with having no problems with sheepskin and then the move to a hybrid or Goretex as being different. That's EXACTLY what I'm finding as a renewed piper. My L and M bags--never an issue. Very soft, very easy strike and stop. The Canmore Hybrid is totally different to me. Not anywhere close yet to what I need to be on the strike in. Hopefully something will click.
plainspiper is offline   Reply With Quote