Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #11
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

Default Re: Naill Drones in the Low 470s?

Re: Ezee, I've done some poking about:

Firstly, "long", "low pitch", and "Bb" Ezee are the same thing, as there is only one such entry on Pipe Dreams' own website AFAIK.

The Ezee "long" tenor is 1/4 inch longer, the bass; 3/4 inch longer, according to members of this very board.

I've ordered a set of long Ezees and will report my findings here

Re: Getting DapperDan's Dunbar drones to pitch:

I could get the Ezee tenors down to 472-474 because I play Naill drones, the tenors of which require drone reed fiddling to get to the 480's. The standard Ezee tenors barely get down to where they are at now: the tuning screws have been loaded up with teflon tape to stay snug.

The Naill bass is sharper than the tenors, hence I have the tuning screw loaded with teflon tape and the reed is hemped to fit 1/4in-odd away from the shoulder of the reed seat. I'm tuning at the top hempline, and barely below the bottom hempline.

Your Dunbars will likely necessitate long Ezees to get to pitch, and you can expect to have your tenors standing some millimeters north of the hempline.
MichiganGaidar is online now   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-07-2018, 12:59 AM   #12
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

I never had a problem getting my Naills to tune anywhere from 466 to 484 with a selection of reeds, EZ, Canning, Selbie, Crozier (Omega and carbon), Kinnaird and cane.

I did notice that there was less hemp than on other makes of pipes, so I used the scribe line on the silver slide as a rough guide. Perhaps stop obsessing about the hemp and tune the pipes where they want to tune best.

Paul
Old 05-07-2018, 06:12 AM   #13
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

I am trying to tune the pipes where they want to tune best... The bass is better-behaved with the top joint on the hemp and the middle joint at, or a bit below, the scribe line. Tenors are best-behaved at, or barely below, the hemp. Too much higher, as in my current case, and they just aren't as stable.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:47 AM   #14
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGaidar View Post

. Tenors are best-behaved at, or barely below, the hemp. Too much higher, as in my current case, and they just aren't as stable.
Sounds like the tenor bores may be slightly under bored if you move above the hemp and they become unstable...gurgling?..roaring?....

PITA...but i think if they were ‘brushed’ by eg Roddy Maclellan ( North Carolina) you’d see and hear an improvement.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #15
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

Maybe a bit of a different way to work around the problem, have you considered sharpening your pitch a bit on the chanter end?
I know some pipers are adamant about lower pitch being better, but if I was a listener (judge, audience, etc.) I would want a stable sound, and my ears will grow accustomed to the pitch after a minute or so.
Jack
Old 05-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #16
RichmondPiper
Forum Silver Medal

Surely you can make the tongue a little longer by moving he bridle? Not usually advised on a modern synthetic reed like an EZ, but it works, with very tiny adjustments. That makes the reed flatter (because the tongue is longer) so the drone will tune lower down.
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #17
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

Or a tiny little bit of weight on the tongue to slow it down.

Paul.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #18
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

I'm reluctant to mis-calibrate or weigh down reeds for tuning purposes... This, I have found, makes the drones less able to lock with one another, the result being more tuning tediousness. In a similar vein, that's what I meant by instability... I don't get any roaring or gurgling, but the tuning doesn't hold as well. As for lower pitch, it's easier on the ears and therefore easier to get 100% dialed in.

Why the persnicketiness about tuning? I've found that even the slightest "dirtiness" in the tuning severely impacts the perceived tonal quality.

I have, however, considered bore work. My tenor bottom joints are a wee bit different and I suspect that the bass has undergone some "changes". What should I expect to pay for a bore touch-up from a reputable individual?
Old 05-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #19
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Have you mentioned what vintage year is the Naill chanter?
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #20
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

Something about this didn't ring quite right, so I had a quick look at your profile.

With only a year learning pipes I would respectfully suggest you get a Piper to look at your setup. A Spanish pipe is not a GHB so the year on that is not going to help you tune your Bagpipes.

We have 7 or 8 sets I'm the band, from the 1980's to 2012, and all of them tune regularly from 470 to 484 depending on the weather with no effort or buggering round with reeds.

Paul.