Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-06-2018, 05:59 AM   #1
pipermm
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Drone reeds roaring

I've recently been playing with MG carbon drone reeds in my McCallum pipes but my bass drone is roaring!

Is there anything I can do to this drone reed to stop it from roaring or can anyone suggest a different drone reed that will not roar but sound nice with my tenor MG carbon reeds.

Also how do I get a nice not very loud tone on my drones?
pipermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-06-2018, 06:36 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Drone Reeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermm View Post
I've recently been playing with MG carbon drone reeds in my McCallum pipes but my bass drone is roaring!

Is there anything I can do to this drone reed to stop it from roaring or can anyone suggest a different drone reed that will not roar but sound nice with my tenor MG carbon reeds.

Also how do I get a nice not very loud tone on my drones?
The MG Carbon reeds are tops. The roaring bass is likely due to the bridle position. Nudge it forward and concentric around the body ( shorten the tongue) to the point when you strongly mouth blow it in the drone seat it shuts off;...then...back it off a few hairs until it it shuts off after maybe a second or so of a full puff mouth blowing. When you get it set so you can play your pipes at proper pressure and blowing control ..without the bass shutting off...youíll know itís set right. Do the same with your tenor reeds....maximize the reed efficiency. Get a local well experienced piper to help.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #3
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Drone reeds roaring

Also can also try lowering the mid section to about 1" off the mount and raise the top section higher on the pin.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
defenestrator
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy McIntosh View Post
Also can also try lowering the mid section to about 1" off the mount and raise the top section higher on the pin.
This is absolutely essential for McCallum pipes of a certain vintage (my 2013's included). If the midsection of the bass drone is more than 2 fingers up, there's very little chance of a good start.

Another tip: if you have a reed with a tuning screw inside the cone (e.g. Kinnaird), you can completely remove it to lower the pitch even more which allows the lower section to tune lower on the pin.
defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #5
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by defenestrator View Post
This is absolutely essential for McCallum pipes of a certain vintage (my 2013's included). If the midsection of the bass drone is more than 2 fingers up, there's very little chance of a good start.
That may be a bit of a broad generalization. I played a set of 2011s for close to three years and could have mid-section well above 2 fingers, mostly dependent on the reed type, without any issues. Sold for a vintage set but they were a fantastic set on a number of levels. There are many sets of McCallums of various ages in the band and no one seems to have any issues.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPark View Post
That may be a bit of a broad generalization. I played a set of 2011s for close to three years and could have mid-section well above 2 fingers, mostly dependent on the reed type, without any issues. Sold for a vintage set but they were a fantastic set on a number of levels. There are many sets of McCallums of various ages in the band and no one seems to have any issues.
We have about 22 sets of McC pipes in and about the band ...ranging from about 2008 to 2015; no issues with any; Selbie reeds across the board.
I set them up with bass at fat 2 fingers high..tenors at 1/8Ē above the hemp. Shepherd standard reeds.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #7
mcaskill
Forum Member

Usually a roaring bass is dealt with by moving the bridle and shortening the tongue. Ensuring the top section is set up on the hempline and the lower section is not tuning too high. There is little written about setting volume and tone of drones, but the only references I have found are The Complete Pipers Handbook and The Reed Book. Far too much detail to go into here. I bought mine here http://www.schoolofpiping.com/shop/a...lications.html
you mind find a local supplier?
mcaskill is offline   Reply With Quote