Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
actussing
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default In-tune PC reed for Kron PCs?

Does anybody know what PC reed(s) will be in tune with the Kron practice chanter?

I'm not looking to start another conversation about the value or lack of value in playing an in tune practice chanter. I'm specifically asking about a reed pairing for the Krone pc. The majority of my band plays Kron PCs. In the past we've done very well with the Walsh reeds, but something in the Walsh reed construction has changed (possibly the length of the staple) and none of us have been able to achieve an in tune PC. I've been through a bunch of reeds at this point. The Q reed is close, TruTone, G1, and Abedour are not. Please note, I'm not passing any judgement on any of these reeds. I'm sure they work very well and are in tune in a variety of chanters...but not the Kron. So, I'm reaching out for the collective experience of the forum. Any thoughts or suggestions?
actussing is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-17-2018, 04:28 AM   #2
DNorwood
Forum Member

Default Re: In tune PC reed for Kron PCs?

On Charley's website, on the "About" page, he has his contact number listed.

Since you didn't mention trying to contact Kron Bagpipes directly, I offer it as perhaps the best solution to your goal.
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
John Buchanan
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNorwood View Post
Since you didn't mention trying to contact Kron Bagpipes directly, I offer it as perhaps the best solution to your goal.
Have you ever sent an email to Charley Kron?
John Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:29 PM   #4
DNorwood
Forum Member

His phone number was also listed. (and of course there are Kron distributors)

SOOOOOOO, Mine was only a suggestion. I figured going straight to the source would be better than 'crickets'....and now this rabbit hole.

Do you have something better to help this person or just having a good poke at Charley was satisfying enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchanan View Post
Have you ever sent an email to Charley Kron?
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by actussing View Post
Does anybody know what PC reed(s) will be in tune with the Kron practice chanter?

I'm not looking to start another conversation about the value or lack of value in playing an in tune practice chanter. I'm specifically asking about a reed pairing for the Krone pc. The majority of my band plays Kron PCs. In the past we've done very well with the Walsh reeds, but something in the Walsh reed construction has changed (possibly the length of the staple) and none of us have been able to achieve an in tune PC. I've been through a bunch of reeds at this point. The Q reed is close, TruTone, G1, and Abedour are not. Please note, I'm not passing any judgement on any of these reeds. I'm sure they work very well and are in tune in a variety of chanters...but not the Kron. So, I'm reaching out for the collective experience of the forum. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Id call John Walsh and ask. ..about the reeds. Ive been using them with glee for about 15 years. Id admit that the current purple variety seem a bit stronger overall....cured with a simple 3/16 dental elastic. Still my gold standard pc reed. In new PCs and a variety of vintage.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
actussing

According to John Walsh, all they've changed is the color of the binding. The dozens of reeds various members of the band have purchased seem to prove otherwise.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by actussing View Post
According to John Walsh, all they've changed is the color of the binding. The dozens of reeds various members of the band have purchased seem to prove otherwise.
I just received 18 last week. I added a dental elastic to several...but overall they seem as good sounding as for all the past years..albeit perhaps some a small tich stronger.
I am curious what specifically are you dissatisfied with? Hard to believe they wouldnt play well in one of charleys PCs.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:50 AM   #8
actussing

Well, first there's the need to put a rubber band on all the reeds...remember when that wasn't necessary? Even with the rubber band, it takes easily twice as much blowing pressure as previous reeds. But, okay, additional blowing pressure...check. So, we get the rubber band on, making it sound like an instrument rather than a duck call, only to discover the high A is flat. I can't push it in far enough to eliminate the flatness. The G requires tape, in order to not be horribly sharp as I move past miserably flat high A to bearably flat high A.

The low hand is fine. The high hand is ugly.

Again, my purpose is not to criticize any reed maker or imply a flaw in any individual reed. I'm sure the Walsh reed in in tune in other practice chanters. It's not in tune in the Kron. Are there other practice chanter reeds on the market similar in size (i.e., the shorter reed blades, not the longer ones) to the Walsh, but perhaps with a shorter staple?

We know pipe chanters have changed over the years (resulting in the frequent, "I bought a 1950s/60s/70s chanter...which reed will work" posts. Perhaps practice chanters have changed subtly over the years as well and current PC reeds just don't cut it for the old PCs? I know there are chanter reed makers on this forum. Any practice chanter reed makers who might know?
Old 05-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #9
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

I wasn't happy with reeds I was getting so I devised my own!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3j...ew?usp=sharing

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: In-tune PC reed for Kron PCs?

Checking over my stash of various Walsh reeds accumulated over some years a side by side comparison of the old black bodies against the current purple ones showed the purple are 1/16” shorter.
Assumably this to give a slightly higher pitch...not sure why..they still sound virtually the same in my same ( old) chanters. And new McCallum as well.

The black ones are a few with ‘short’ white blades ( about the same blade exposure as the current); ...and a few with longer exposed blades....which Mr. Walsh told me years ago were more suitable for long practice chanters. I found these work as well in standard length PCs.

Zo,..it appears the overall length of the current reed is indeed modified...but I haven’t scalped any to compare if the staple length changed or are the blades deeper into the shrink wrap.

Whatever,...still a very satisfactory pc reed in my book.