Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-22-2008, 07:58 AM   #11
Thomas Grotrian
Forum Clasp

Send a message via AIM to Thomas Grotrian
Default Re: Scotland Photos - Name those 1980s PBs!

That must be the Festival Cavalcade, and usually the RBLS bands would take part in that. I'm afraid I can't be more help than that (although, Andrew, if you sit down with a magnifying glass and the original photo, at least one of those pictures has the band's name on a board in it).

nstattoo.ca ------ Tattoo Myspace
pipefest.com ------- Pipefest Myspace

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
Sir Winston Churchill
Thomas Grotrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-23-2008, 05:12 AM   #12
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Wow, MacDonald Memorial must have been on the cutting edge of the Black Agyll Jacket and White Hose fashion. I think that's about the earliest photo I've seen of a band dressed like that.

Glasgow Skye seem to be wearing Charcoal Grey kilt jackets.

Shotts was still soldiering on in Full Dress.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #13
Ian Lawther

I think the first band I saw in Argyll jackets was in the late 1970s. Strangely it was an army band - The Irish Guards at a competition in the south of England. Green Argyll jackets and saffron kilts.

Ian
Ian Lawther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lawther
I think the first band I saw in Argyll jackets was in the late 1970s. Strangely it was an army band - The Irish Guards at a competition in the south of England. Green Argyll jackets and saffron kilts.

Ian
When I joined MacNish Distillery in 1977, our #2 dress was black argyll jacket with cream hose. The band had been wearing that uniform for at least a couple of years at that time. Clan MacFarlane also wore argyll jackets and cream hose in those days. IIRC the 48th Highlanders wore argyll jackets as their #2 dress in the late 70s and often competed in that uniform.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #15
Andrew Lenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Grotrian
(although, Andrew, if you sit down with a magnifying glass and the original photo, at least one of those pictures has the band's name on a board in it).
Unfortunately, the photos I posted are digitally enhanced and are actually better than the originals! The limits of the film grain prevent seeing the printing on the sign. Alas.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #16
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Band 2 could be the Inverness British Legion Pipe Band. The pics not clear but the uniform (including the "rag-tag") would be right for them. Also, back then (probably still)they had stripes on the Major's and Sargents.

Also, the short piper at the front has the profile of one of their pipers and I sort of recognise the piper at the forefront of the second pic.

HTH
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #17
Andrew Lenz

Someone e-mailed me and said that the first band's PM is John Nevans. Anyone know more about him or his band?

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote