Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Pipe Bands
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pipe Bands For everything or anything related to Pipe Bands..

Platinum Sponsors
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
GoodTimesAhead
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Another shining example...

Another shining example of doing the wrong things for the right reasons:
http://youtu.be/33dgVgyjOsU
Comments have been made on how proud this pipe band should be that they showed up or that they are comprised of police officers and their dedication to tradition speaks more than perhaps a better sound....
Makes me bananas
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
PipePlayr
Forum Regular

Default Re: Another shining example...

Hold on there, dude. . First off, let me state that I don't play with these guys and dont know any of them personally or professionally. I do play with a band from the same area, however.

The tuning, pitch and ensemble issues are apparent...but let's look at the whole picture here. These guys were playing for an officer who was killed while trying to apprehend a wanted suspect. They, themselves are all law enforcement officers. The funeral was in the Lumberton, NC area, which, as you may or may not know, is hotter than sixteen yards o' hell in the summer. They are playing in direct sunlight...in what looks to be No. 1 dress (minus the plaid), no less! No one knows how long they have been standing there in the direct sunlight before actually beginning to play. All those factors combined would give any higher grade band a run for their money.

Also, I'm reasonably certain the fallen officer's family and fellow officers have much more important issues on their minds at the moment, than whether the band sounds and plays spot on for the service.

I understand where you're coming from and appreciate your sentiments concerning it (and agree with them)...but there is a greater purpose for which we play. Peace and comfort for the bereaved should be of greater import than "in tune/in time/all together" in this instance.

Vic
Old 07-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
GoodTimesAhead
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipePlayr View Post

I understand where you're coming from and appreciate your sentiments concerning it (and agree with them)...but there is a greater purpose for which we play. Peace and comfort for the bereaved should be of greater import than "in tune/in time/all together" in this instance.

Vic
IMHO the Pipe Major (or at least thats who I think he is because he is the one who walked away playing) should have been the only one playing at all. A solo piper would have avoided the in tune, in time and all togetherness and added to the moment more poignantly then that band did.

Regardless, another police officer was killed in North Carolina today here near Boone << thoughts and prayers.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
bog-standard
Forum Clasp

Yeah, that was bad.
So what.
They aren't playing for prizes. Who knows what connections the band members had to the fallen copper. Maybe they were asked to come by the family.
That kind of performance is unfortunate, but in the bigger picture, it's about the whole police community mourning together in their own way. It's not just for the family, it's for all the boys left behind too. The family will understand that.
For the record, I was once on the job.

Too bad it's on Youtube.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Band Mom
Forum Member

IMHO the Pipe Major (or at least thats who I think he is because he is the one who walked away playing) should have been the only one playing at all. A solo piper would have avoided the in tune, in time and all togetherness and added to the moment more poignantly then that band did.

Regardless, another police officer was killed in North Carolina today here near Boone << thoughts and prayers.
__________________________________________________ ____________
Agreed - solo piper would have been the solution. In a situation like this, quite often the family needs something other than their grief to focus on, and from personal exprience, a well tuned pipe is very soothing.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bog-standard View Post
Yeah, that was bad.
So what.
They aren't playing for prizes. Who knows what connections the band members had to the fallen copper. Maybe they were asked to come by the family.
That kind of performance is unfortunate, but in the bigger picture, it's about the whole police community mourning together in their own way. It's not just for the family, it's for all the boys left behind too. The family will understand that.
For the record, I was once on the job.

Too bad it's on Youtube.
yeah. 'nuf said.

I often think piping like that isn't expected at a funeral or wedding ...until it's too late and already paid for.
I think people who hire the pipers expect to hear e.g the Scots Guard or Black Watch ...like they heard at the local theater in a live 'on tour' production last year or so. Too bad.

Last edited by el gaitero; 07-26-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
bog-standard
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
yeah. 'nuf said.

I often think piping like that isn't expected at a funeral or wedding ...until it's too late and already paid for.
I think people who hire the pipers expect to hear e.g the Scots Guard or Black Watch ...like they heard at the local theater in a live 'on tour' production last year or so. Too bad.
my point being, that they were NOT hired. They are from the policing community. It sucks that they sucked.
I just don't think we needed a thread here to compound the embarassment, regardless of it being posted on Youtube already.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

The issues of tuning and timing are easy to see and hear. Yes, it's pretty bad. What is not so easy to see and hear for the casual youtube viewer is the issue of who, why and the emotion of a fallen brother. These guys belong to a very special brotherhood that binds people together in a common cause which happens to be for the good of the community they serve. No one asked the fallen officer to give up his life to protect the citizens who may live to pass judgement to the music played at his funeral. Those of us who do not belong to that very special brotherhood of law enforcement should just leave it alone.
He has been laid to his eternal rest and his police brothers can be proud to have played for him.
The rest of us should leave it alone.
PS- my only child is married to a police officer. I am a proud father in law.

Last edited by Dave Gallagher; 07-26-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
Bruce Wright
Holy smoking keyboard!

First of all, it appears that this band is the Wilmington (NC) Police Pipes & Drums, which would make sense since the funeral was in Lumberton, NC - about an hour's drive from Wilmington. Not 100% sure, but just going by the uniforms and the little bit that you can see of the band name on the drum.

Secondly, in spite of being from North Carolina I've never heard this band in person (Though from looking at their Web site it appears that I do know a couple of their former instructors, who no longer appear to be affiliated with the band). They don't go to any of the Highland Games I attend, and Wilmington is a good three hour drive from here so we don't tend to be at the same local events. So I don't know how typical or atypical this performance is for them. Clearly they had serious tuning and unison issues but as others have said there may have been extenuating circumstances at least for the tuning - Lumberton is famous for always being one of the state's hot spots, and many days this summer it's been well over 100 degrees F (and probably 90% humidity as well).

Having said that, it seemed a bit odd to me to have the P/M walk off alone (I'm sure he's the P/M, he's wearing a sash) - that's often done by a solo piper, but that's the first time I've seen or even heard of it being done by a band. Perhaps it's intended to be sort of analogous to the Air Force "Missing Man" formation. Not a bad idea, but I think it would have worked at least as well for him to do the whole event alone; additionally, his pipes sounded like they were reasonably (although not perfectly) in tune. Certainly a lot better than the band as a whole.

--Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Wright; 07-27-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
Bruce Wright
Holy smoking keyboard!

Also I should say that the (former) instructors of this band whom I know certainly knew how to set up a band to get a decent sound, and both lived in Wilmington for many years so they would be familiar with the climate there. Naturally, since I don't know anyone in this band and have never heard them play, I don't know how much of their knowledge was absorbed by the leadership of this band.

Clearly something went wrong that day. Sad that something like this went out on YouTube, it gives a bad impression both of the pipes and of this band.

--Bruce
Closed Thread