Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #11
Bill Carr
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Selbie Drone Reeds?

Excellent reeds. I am a very average player but you can get an idea of the reeds here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m308S2HK9eE

Bill
Bill Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-21-2010, 05:37 AM   #12
SwissMatthias
Forum Regular

Hi Bill,

very nice sound. What kind of pipes you are playing?

Cheers from Switzerland

Matthias
SwissMatthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:20 AM   #13
Bill Carr
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissPiper View Post
Hi Bill,

very nice sound. What kind of pipes you are playing?

Cheers from Switzerland

Matthias
A basic model David MacMurchie bagpipes. Very nice pipes and quite underated.

Bill
Bill Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
bellemastiff
Forum Member

Just my .02 -- just tried Selbie drone reeds in my Dunbar Poly pipes.

Normally I run Ezeedrones. These new Selbies required little to no tweaking to get sounding good.

They are milder sounding than the Ezeedrones. Also -- and maybe this is a matter of me not knowing how to tweak the Ezeedrones but -- the Selbies seem to take less air.

I'm going to play these Selbies for a while.
bellemastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #15
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissPiper View Post
Hello JRM and all the others,

thank you very much for your comments. I put them into the Wallace Pipes and the sound is great! I used Eezedrones for the Tenors and MG Reed for the Bass and the sound was not good as with the selbies.

The only problem I have now is that I cannot produce a clear stop. They howl when I have finished playing. I put drone valves (http://www.qualitybagpipes.com/images/big/mccallum_drone_valves.jpg) into the bag, but the sound of the Selbies became dull afterwards. The stopping with the drone valves was fine. I put them out again.

So my questions are:
What about putting Tone Enhancers into the stocks?
What can I do to stop the howling?

Regards

Matthias
you've backed out the pitch screws? 1/4 turn at a time ... to the extent they are not sounding too flat.. and the tongue shortened enough to give the right pitch and tuning height without cuttng out.

I've set up in excess of 3 dozen sets of McCallum pipes with Selbie reeds... never an issue. If you are going to try drone valves, Shepherd Tone Enhancers would get my top vote, tho with only a slight loss of volume as with any drone connected MCS.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
PipePlayr
Forum Regular

Selbie's worked very well in my mid-80's, R.G. Hardie pipes. I don't use them anymore only because they are a bit too quiet for the chanter I'm using in my band. If I had a second bagpipe, I'd have it set up with a wooden chanter and Selbie reeds!

When playing my Hardie or Shepherd chanter (both ABW), Selbie reeds are my first choice every time. Once they're set (bridle and tuning screw), you'll rarely have to mess with them again. I did have a bass tongue break but I understand that's no longer an issue.

Good sound, seamless blend among the drones and with the chanter. Excellent reeds!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #17
Drewz Dronez
Forum Silver Medal

I have been using Selbie tenors in my band pipes (1960's Hendersons made by Hardie) for 18 months and they are excellent - good tone and absolutely rock solid. Just got my solo pipes (old Hendersons) rebagged with sheepskin and took them down to the band hall to get them going (I live in flat and can't play at home) and I have Kinnairds in them. For some strange reason, they kept cutting out so I took the Selbies out of my band pipes and put them in my solo pipes. I might add that the short tongue tenors ie Wygent/Eazydrone/Shepheard don't work in my Hendersons - they just howl and tune too low, even when adjusted to the absolute max. However, to my surprise the Selbies were brilliant - nice tone, rock solid and air efficient. A previous poster mentioned poor stops but with a sheepskin bag there was no problem with the stops or the starts. I took out the B grade piobaireachd competition yesterday in Sydney at the State Solos with them, so they can't be too bad!
cheers
Andrew

http://www.blacktownpipeband.com
Drewz Dronez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #18
vantec08
Forum Silver Medal

I was introduced to Selbies by Patrick or somebody around here a few years. Am a believer.
vantec08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
LloydB
Forum Gold Medal

I'll just add to the chorus -- great sound and reliability.

A recent re-sale of an older set of Dunbars required a
'needed yesterday' set of tenor reeds. Some slightly
pre-played Selbie's were almost plug and play. (The
only changes were to provide new hemp and to renew
the tape on the tuning screws...)

The same full set has been in my band 'street' pipes,
going on 3 years, with no problems.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #20
Drewz Dronez
Forum Silver Medal

I might add at this point that I usually dispense with the rubber thingies on the reeds where they go into the drone sockets and replace them with black waxed hemp. I do this with all the drones reeds that have the rubber thingies on, not just with the Selbies. It makes them much firmer in the socket and of course, air tight. It also makes it much easier to adjust the seating depth if you need that little bit extra adjustment. Can't stress enough the importance of having air tight pipes, and the reed seats are often overlooked in this area - oh and chanter reeds too!

http://www.blacktownpipeband.com
Drewz Dronez is offline   Reply With Quote