Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-30-2012, 06:32 AM   #31
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Etiquette and Traditions...

About funerals, specifically funerals at which "military honors" are performed, I have been told repeatedly over the last 35 years to not pipe during the military honors, but wait until their conclusion, which is after the next-of-kin is presented with the folded flag and the military people begin marching off.

So... I'm at a funeral and there's a piper there who is a former Marine and he plays all during the time when the flag is being folded!

So maybe it's just civilian pipers who aren't supposed to play during military honors...
Old 11-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #32
PipePlayr
Forum Regular

I always ask the funeral director or whomever is in charge, when I am to play. I've had it go both ways. Most want the music after the flag is presented to the next of kin, but I've had a couple of funerals where they wanted me to play WHILE the flag was being presented. Either way works and it's best to be flexible, especially when doing funerals.
PipePlayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #33
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

I usually confer with the Military honor guard if there is one and do it however they're comfortable with it, which is not always the same way.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #34
North Idaho Piper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGiollaEoin View Post
When I started competing 15+ years ago in the Pacific Northwest of the US I was taught to salute the judge. Nearly every piper did.

When I moved to the East Coast of the US 6+ years ago and began competing here I was told nobody salutes here. Rarely have I see any piper salute a judge here.

I've been back to the Pacific Northwest a couple of times since to compete and alot fewer pipers are saluting there now than I remember before.

Still, having been taught to do so when I began I still feel that I should, and sometimes I just salute the judge reflexively.

The judges from Scotland seem to appreciate it. The US judges, not so much.
I've competed several times at the Spokane, Wa. highland games and haven't seen anyone salute. Andrew Wright is one of the judges and I haven't seen anyone salute him. He's usually got his head down writing so I doubt he would even know if you saluted.

Karl
“For some the Highland pipe is a serious instrument, to be played with skill and care and to consume a lifetime in its study ... but to me, it’s even more important than that - it is life itself.” PM Bruce Campbell
North Idaho Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #35
MacGiollaEoin
Forum Regular

So, I wonder why the custom of saluting the judge is dying out?

Even yet, on the EUSPBA website under "Competing", on the "Info for Competitors" page there is a pdf entitled "So You Want To Compete?" in which it instructs competitors:

"When you have finished your tune, thank or salute the judge."

It is clearly not against the rules to salute the judge, it is a choice on the part of the competitor. So why has the preferred protocol changed in the past 15 years?

And, is this just a trend in the US, or is this more widespread?

MacGiollaEoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #36
Pipin' Paramedic
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
About funerals, specifically funerals at which "military honors" are performed, I have been told repeatedly over the last 35 years to not pipe during the military honors, but wait until their conclusion, which is after the next-of-kin is presented with the folded flag and the military people begin marching off.

So... I'm at a funeral and there's a piper there who is a former Marine and he plays all during the time when the flag is being folded!

So maybe it's just civilian pipers who aren't supposed to play during military honors...
There are no hard and fast rules - I just do what I am asked to do, by whomever retained me. Ordinarily, that means playing before the military honors portion of the funeral (as the body is being moved to the graveside), then as the very last item (lone piper walking away). But if the family wants FOF in the middle, then.....

"Urram do na mairbh"
Pipin' Paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #37
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGiollaEoin View Post
So, I wonder why the custom of saluting the judge is dying out?
Simple, saluting is a military custom and I would venture to say that 98% of the pipers out there are not in the military, or wearing a military uniform or piping as a military member at the time.

I have many years in uniform but I have never saluted while piping.....wearing a kilt and jacket or what most refer as "their uniform or a band uniform" is not a military uniform at all.......just saying.....
Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #38
Airborne92
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post

At Arlington National Cemetery, the piper waits until the end. Other places, I always check w/ the family and/or funeral director. Come to think of it, I check in w/ the funeral rep at Arlington anyway, as a matter of courtesy.

SCK
Old 12-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #39
sonofsomerled
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy McIntosh View Post
Simple, saluting is a military custom and I would venture to say that 98% of the pipers out there are not in the military, or wearing a military uniform or piping as a military member at the time.

I have many years in uniform but I have never saluted while piping.....wearing a kilt and jacket or what most refer as "their uniform or a band uniform" is not a military uniform at all.......just saying.....
Agreed - Its more Victorian nonsense, probably to remind you that the judge is gentry (and you ain't). I just give a nod and say "thank you." Saluting in the context of a civilian piping competition is uncalled for.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #40
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

I can see the original Victorian Guide for the Graceful Competitor:

Upon completion, cast your eyes upon the top of your ghillie brogues, tug your forelocks, and say, "thank ye kindly, sar." In demure character, retreat in a prompt but not overly hasty manner. The adjudicator will then look most kindly upon your musical effort, and though he may not award you any great distinction, he surely will not disqualify you.
David is offline   Reply With Quote