Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
LindyHoppingPiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Pipe Chanter Alignment

Is there an "optimal" location for the finger holes on the pipe chanter? Straight in front? Slightly angled to one side or the other? Or is it just a matter of personal preference/comfort of the player?

Also, is there a trick you can use so that you get the right alignment every time, like putting a small piece of tape in an inconspicuous spot (like the very back) of the chanter and the stock to line them up?
LindyHoppingPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Piperalpha
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Pipe Chanter Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyHoppingPiper View Post
Is there an "optimal" location for the finger holes on the pipe chanter? Straight in front? Slightly angled to one side or the other? Or is it just a matter of personal preference/comfort of the player?

Also, is there a trick you can use so that you get the right alignment every time, like putting a small piece of tape in an inconspicuous spot (like the very back) of the chanter and the stock to line them up?
I've seen some people put a small piece of tape on the chanter and the chanter stock to make sure everything is easy to line up when they put their pipes together.
As far as an optimal position is concerned I don't think there's a universal one. My brother and I always had different sweet spots for where we liked our chanters. I use a combination of grips on C and birls to get my chanter in just the right spot for me. When I'm executing both movements with ease the chanter is in the right place and I start my practice. I'm sure you'll hear a few suggestions about what different people like to do.
Piperalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Bill Adam
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piperalpha View Post
I've seen some people put a small piece of tape on the chanter and the chanter stock to make sure everything is easy to line up when they put their pipes together.
As far as an optimal position is concerned I don't think there's a universal one. My brother and I always had different sweet spots for where we liked our chanters. I use a combination of grips on C and birls to get my chanter in just the right spot for me. When I'm executing both movements with ease the chanter is in the right place and I start my practice. I'm sure you'll hear a few suggestions about what different people like to do.
I'm with Piperalpha on this one. For me the "sweet spot" is the position that works best for the birls. I would describe that as lining up the tone holes slightly right of "centered".
Old 01-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyHoppingPiper View Post

We do exactly this in the band, so that when I pull a chanter out to adjust the reed, I can put it back in exactly the same spot and the guys don't have to mess around with getting it comfortable again. Simple and effective.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

+1

small piece of tape...its amazing how little seemingly little thing can alleve so much would-be frustration.

David
Old 01-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
12cmgc
Forum Silver Medal

I just use a small dab of whiteout to mark the alignment on both the chanter and blowpipe. Tends to wear off over time and needs to be renewed like the tape .... but is non-destructive.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I used to have a small dab of nail polish on my stock and poly chanter. It was great for use in band when the PM would whip-out the chanter, tweak a reed and shove it back, then count off a march!

When I replaced my bag, I cleaned off the chanter stock and never bothered re-applying the marks. Now before a competition, I tweak a little and seem to get the chanter position correct'ish.

Some positions, seem better for girls, other positions for other notes - for me the piobaireachd high G often feels a bit weird depending upon how I have the chanter inserted.

I suppose you could use bits of tape until you find your sweet-spot, then replace the tape with dabs of paint/nail polish, whiteout, etc.

Charlie
Old 01-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

Automotive pinstripe tape works the best, and lasts pretty much forever.

A little dab of Nail polish also works.

"Index Marks" are what I call them.
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

A small file can be used to leave a discreet but permanent dent.

If I'm ever unsure whether I've got my chanter lined up how I want it, the third part of Susan MacLeod usually sets me straight!
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
PipePlayr
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
Some positions, seem better for girls,
Indeed!? Just exactly which positions would the 'girls' prefer???