Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #41
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Where I won't be playing on St. Patrick's Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gallagher View Post
This is a great website to help the clueless.

http://paddynotpatty.com/
But Dave, St Patty's Day is so popular! Plus no Irish tunes allowed by its celebrants!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr28ijq1onY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGlTc7wUU0Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2xgURQcZq8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ACROQ9fPMU

And even the Irish are getting into the act:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCyKvugQku0

Face it, Dave, you're fighting a losing battle! So come on over to the Dark Side and celebrate St Patty's Day with the rest of us (you know deep down you want to)!

If you couldn't laugh, you'd cry -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #42
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

[QUOTE TwitchyFingers]

I can't wait for St. Cyril's Day, March 18th.

Patron Saint of tired pipers, hangovers and aspirin sales.

Kind words... and ice water... Kind words... and ice water... :)
Old 02-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #43
JP Cahill
Forum Silver Medal

I have to say I agree with Bog-Standard and Dave and for much the same reasons.

I have done a few of those pub gigs in the past; it sours rather quickly. One band I was with practiced in the back room of a local pub/restaurant. Our "rent" was to play for their St Patrick's Day celebration in the evening. This was probably 20 minutes max. Then the other band plugged in their electric guitars and we had dinner or went home, depending upon the individual member's feeling about the second loudest instrument in the world.

For a few years I played outdoors on the patio at a golf club restaurant. That was a lovely gig. No obnoxious drunks and lots of families. A good part of the afternoon was spent explaining bagpipes to children.

This year I'll be playing for morning church services on the day, probably before and after rather than during (it's a small building).

Cheers,

-John-
JP Cahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #44
watson
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longwind View Post
I used to serve Guinness at room temperature in Aviemore Scotland in the early 70's. True, the keg was in the basement. That was more a thing of lack of space than tempreature. Great Guinness too. It's no myth!
I/M/H/O Murphys is much better then Guinness
watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:11 AM   #45
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson View Post
I/M/H/O Murphys is much better then Guinness
I'll agree with that.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #46
DallPiobaire
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bog-standard View Post
No. It isn't better. Because the general public doesn't have a clue to what extent they are farcically lampooning our entire cultural identity. Worst of all, are the number of Irish North Americans who seem content to whole heartedly participate in perpetuating the stereotypes.
It's a shame.
Look, I won't fault you for wanting to bank a little xtra scrilla....you just won't catch me dead down at Gassy McStinky's pretending that it's in any way authentically Irish or Gaelic or traditional. Nor do I feel that the chaos of the yearly "Paddy's Pish-up" it's a dignified atmosphere for the promotion of the Highland pipe and it"s regal music.( whether in the Caledonian or Hibernian idiom)

But alas, I'm well aware my opinion is one deeply buried in the weeds of minority.
Have fun and be safe, whatever you get after on the 17.
Thanks Bog. Mostly Scots here with a bit of Irish and very very Irish Uncles on my dad's side. Hard wooden church pews for the better part of the day, but great food in the afternoon. No drinking though, well, so's you'd notice! LOL
Braw Jock Wee Heavy on tap!
DallPiobaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #47
PipePlayr
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers View Post
I can't wait for St. Cyril's Day, March 18th. Patron Saint of tired pipers, hangovers and aspirin sales.
I thought that was St. Advil's Day......
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #48
Seán Donnelly
Forum Regular

On 'Patty' versus 'Paddy': the Irish variants of Pádraig listed in Donnchadh Ó Corráin and Fidelma Maguire, Gaelic Personal Names (Dublin, 1981), are Pádhraic, Páraic, Padhra, Páid, Páidí, Páidín, Paidí, Paití, and Parra. Patricia is said to have originated in Scotland in the 18th century, but to have become popular only in the 20th century. It may have become fashionable after it was given to a daughter of Arthur, Duke of Connaught, a son of Queen Victoria's.

'Patty's Day' does not seem to have hit Ireland yet, but it's only a matter of time before the media trendies discover it : every other excess associated with the feast has been imported, leprechaun hats, chin beards, painting and dying everything green, included.

By the way, it appears that Scots once used to celebrate St Andrew's Day boisterously, as well. A diarist in Dublin in the 1730s or 1740s, mentioned that it was the feast day, and that the town was full of drunken Scotsmen. Richard Edgeworth, grandfather of the novelist, Maria Edgeworth, besides giving his servants a St Patrick's Pot on the feast day – money to buy drink – also records visiting Dublin Castle on St Andrew's Day, and giving the lord lieutenant's servants a St Andrew's Cross on leaving, presumably also a sum of money to celebrate the feast.

In a poem written about 1700, Dímholadh Phádraig Naofa 'The Dispraise of St Patrick', a writer lamented that the Irish had lost everything because their patron saint, as a Briton, was bound to support his own people!
Seán Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #49
O'Conchuir
Forum Regular

I'll chime in with this! I play every where on St Patricks Day! If a certain pub is to out of control, play at another time slot. I love St Patricks Day Month! From the start of the Month to the End our Band plays and we have a lot of fun! We try to educate the public when we go out. Yes there are drunks, no kidding! We are an Irish American Pipe Band. Our music is of an Irish nature about 95%. We play a couple of Scottish and American tunes. We dress in an Irish Fashion, solid colored Kilt and Caubeen no sporran in the front. We look very different from other bands and the public recognizes this! We always get many questions asked of of us which ensues a conversation. I know many Scottish oriented pipe bands that play during the Month of March who earn a lot of money! And you know what they play Scottish tunes and hardley play any or non at all Irish tunes. Maybe they should not march and earn money for there band! maybe they should learn some Irish tunes. Maybe they should stay home for the entire month because of the drunks at a parade or God for sake a pub where they serve Booze! In our little city of Newport RI many Irish pubs owned by Ex Pat Irishman and Irish Amercicans they are happy to have you play pipes. You could play from sun up to sun down and they appreciate it as well does the crowd. It all depends on where you are playing. We play parades almost all year round and we run into drunks and obnoxious people all the time. It does not stop us from playing. Usually it is a parade and guess what! the people are celebrating and yes we drink when we celebrate, well most people do. So chances are you are going to meet people that are celebrating to much! I do not like what st Patricks day has somewhat become in the states, with the Green Top hats and Leprechauns and everything else and yes in places in Ireland it is the same. Though I do try and change the stereotype! Too much whinning it is life deal with it or try and change it for the better!!!!
O'Conchuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #50
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

Here in St.Louis we have two brothers about 25-30 years old. They were born and raised in Ireland. Guess what they both wear on St.Patrick's Day? Leprechaun costumes. This stuff is not limited to just Irish Americans.
In my opinion they do it because they are young good looking guys and the girls love it. Always a crowd of girls around them. These guys do indeed know how to party and when you are with them the craic is always great.
Dave Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote