Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #1
oldsoldier
Forum Gold Medal

Default US Military piping dress and deportment

I am getting back into piping, after a 2 year hiatus. I am playing with my local band again, but have little interest in competing (other than competing solo, which I may try this summer).
Anyway, as I am a veteran, and want to start playing solo gigs, I am looking to go with a military dress for my personal gigs. I have my US Army kilt, that I purchased several years ago. What I was wondering, is if there is an official guide to either US Military pipers dress (I was an NCO), or, more specifcally, is there a US Army guide, similar to the AR 670-1, that I can use for a guide? I know I need to pick up a military tunic, which shouldnt be too hard to come by. But, as to dress, wearing of medals (if authorized), cords, rank, etc-I want to make sure I'm doing it correct. My searching is coming up with scant info regarding it. So, any info provided would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:22 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: US Military piping dress and deportment

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post

I have my US Army kilt,

I need to pick up a military tunic, which shouldnt be too hard to come by.

But, as to dress, wearing of medals (if authorized), cords, rank, etc-I want to make sure I'm doing it correct.
I M curious... what is a US Army kilt? i.e. what tartan?..who (band) wore them/where?

Did the USA ... PB?...wear its own design fitted regimental tunic as in UK... if not, are you seeking a e.g. Scots Guard or other regimantal tunic?

Medals?... I'd only suggest don't make it too complicated for a piping competition. I'd Leave added regalia for Drum Majors.

What piping Grade level would you compete in?

EUSPBA rules require "Highland dress" when competing (in piping)... and there's been discussion about that on this forum; ....strangely I've just wondered if a full military uniform is applicable....or for Drum Major comps only.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
oldsoldier
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
I M curious... what is a US Army kilt? i.e. what tartan?..who (band) wore them/where?

Did the USA ... PB?...wear its own design fitted regimental tunic as in UK... if not, are you seeking a e.g. Scots Guard or other regimantal tunic?

Medals?... I'd only suggest don't make it too complicated for a piping competition. I'd Leave added regalia for Drum Majors.

What piping Grade level would you compete in?

EUSPBA rules require "Highland dress" when competing (in piping)... and there's been discussion about that on this forum; ....strangely I've just wondered if a full military uniform is applicable....or for Drum Major comps only.
As for dress while competing-I would just wear my normal dress-long sleeves, vest, tie. Not a military tunic.
As to the tartan-the US Army actually does have an official tartan. For the tunic, I am thinking more for formal gigs-weddings, funerals. Not for competition. I am just curious if the US Army has an actual regulation regarding the wearing of the tunic, medal placement, etc.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings, oldsoldier, el gaitero, and to All,

Your Thread and chat having ensnared my interest... I did a bit
of an on-line dig about... and came up with a great deal of kit
and gear information about the U.S. Uniformed Services as
officially bears upon their uniforms for piping.

(To our Moderators: None of this is intended to put forward any
single business site... This is simply where I found the greatest
information... and with quite clear pictures... in my search.)

* I used the search engine DuckDuckGo.com... as it is one of
the very few world-wide engines that does not "track" its users
on-line history... and from which the unwary user then receives
ten zillion... and very much un-wanted... adverts... from other
search engines.

* I typed in--- u.s. army kilt --- in the search box.

* On the results page, the 5th entry from the page's top is for
the American kilt maker Alexis Malcolm... and his site... and
with many really good photos... shows all of the U.S. Services
that have kilts and kit.

(There is one missing... I'll leave that question to be solved by
our gifted... and investigative.... Forumonians." :)

What I found of particular interest... and an un-looked for "gift"...
upon this Boxing Day... is that the U. S. Maritime Service...
also has kilts and kit... which I think grand... for Heaven knows...
they bloody earned it...

I trust that this "new" information (at least to me)...is of some future
use and value... and a most...Happy Boxing Day!!...unto all... :)

Regards,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 12-26-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Pip01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
oldsoldier
Forum Gold Medal

Excellent! I will certainly check that out!
Old 12-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
oldsoldier
Forum Gold Medal

Also, as an aside, there is a US Special Forces tartan. I found the link here. I an not SF, but I was scheduled to play a military wedding, then was told that the SF unit was providing their official piper (there was a guy who was in their unit that played pipes). The register is here: https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/ta....aspx?ref=4191
Old 12-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

Currently there is no US Army Pipers Kit nor uniform outside of the Corps Of Cadets at the U.S. Military Academy. AR 670-1 does not address pipers kit or the wear of the kilt. However local Commanders may allow exceptions to policy for active duty wear.

As a retiree or separated service member you have a couple of options. You can wear the Army Service Uniform Shirt with appropriate items and awards alone with the kilt or under a Prince Charlie type Jacket with appropriate miniature medals on the lapel.

Active Duty Soldiers, National Guard and Reservists may ask for a exception to current policy from the Commander and this may be a one time exception or may be allowed as a duty specific type uniform for recurring events.

As for wear of the Kilt with the current Army Service Uniform, This is not a practical task as the ASU is not cut to be worn with a kilt nor is modification authorized.

You might look at what the USCC, Corps of Cadets, at the Military Academy (West Point, NY) have for examples of current U.S. Army wear. But there is no Big Army Pipe Band.

link to AR 670-1 www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r670_1.pdf

Link to AR 670-1
Old 12-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
PipePlayr
Forum Regular

You might also check with Jim Dillahey of the Citadel. He's the Pipe-Major there and could probably hook you up with the info you're after .

Vic
Old 12-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #9
Mike H
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I suggest the USMA Pipes and Drum uniform guides, http://www.usma.edu/pipes/SitePages/About.aspx.
It is pretty comprehensive and and the only guidance I've found in the US Army. They wear the USMA tartan.

The US Army on has one other collection of pipers, "Costello's Own", http://sill-www.army.mil/77thband/, attached to the 77th Army band at FT Sill, OK. They are selected from the air defense artillery and field artillery units on post and do a one-year tour. I've only seen them wearing their kilts with Class B shirts, sometimes with sweaters, and berets. They have their own tartan called Fires. I've also seen pics of an individual US Army soldier piping in a kilt, class B shirt, and beret.

I'm an NCO in the Army National Guard and when I get better on the pipes I may play in uniform per circumstance. At that time I'd go with the guidance from the USMA P&D and wear my state's official tartan.

The US Naval Academy, US Air Force Reserve and US Coast Guard Auxiliary also have pipe and drum bands but I've not seen any guidance on their uniform wear.
Mike H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #10
Mike H
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
At that time I'd go with the guidance from the USMA P&D and wear my state's official tartan.
To remove any confusion as to what the USMA guidance says, I should have written, "At that time I'd go with guidance from the USMA P&D. Also, I'd choose my state's official tartan as the one I'd wear".

I'm unable to edit after submitting.
Mike H is offline   Reply With Quote