Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.


Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other Topics > Photo and Video Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo and Video Gallery Your photos and links to your videos.

Platinum Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2015, 08:11 AM   #1
Bob Gerard
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 300
Default Tune name, please?

Can someone help me with the name of the tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2W8Zy6JQ_A

I hope this is the correct section to post this request!
Bob Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
William J Hunter
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 251
Default Re: Tune name, please?

Bob,
It sounds like an arrangement of "O for a Closer Walk with God" which
can be found in Sandy Jones's beginning pipe method.
WJH
William J Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
Bob Gerard
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 300
Default Re: Tune name, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by William J Hunter View Post
Bob,
It sounds like an arrangement of "O for a Closer Walk with God" which
can be found in Sandy Jones's beginning pipe method.
WJH
William -Thanks. I did some Youtube selections of 'O for a Closer Walk with God' and it doesn't seem to be the same melody to my ear. Hmmm.

Last edited by Bob Gerard; 01-22-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Bob Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:29 AM   #4
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,357
Default Re: Tune name, please?

The first part is pretty much the arrangement of O For a Closer Walk With God from Sandy Jones' Tutor (embellishments included). He seems to go off the tune near the end of the second part, or else has made a new arrangement.
__________________
bob864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
PipePlayr
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Coastal NC
Posts: 272
Default Re: Tune name, please?

It's actually two tunes. The first being "Closer Walk with God" and the second being "I Need Thee Every Hour"......a beautiful old hymn that fits the pipes perfectly.
__________________
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - - Charlton Heston
PipePlayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North America
Posts: 3,360
Default Re: Tune name, please?

QUOTE from PipePlayr

"It's actually two tunes. The first being "Closer Walk with God"
and the second being "I Need Thee Every Hour"......
a beautiful old hymn that fits the pipes perfectly."


A "second" on this.

Hands down. That's what they are.
__________________
My friends all know,
With what a brave carouse...
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
Bob Gerard
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 300
Default Re: Tune name, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
The first part is pretty much the arrangement of O For a Closer Walk With God from Sandy Jones' Tutor (embellishments included). He seems to go off the tune near the end of the second part, or else has made a new arrangement.
Well, that is me piping the tune, from remembering hearing it somewhere. My guess it was from The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards "Amazing Grace" album from the 1970's (?)
I probably am remembering it wrongly, but it kind-of works I think.
Thanks for putting names to it, I was wondering what it is I am playing and how wrongly, as well.
Bob Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #8
Bob Gerard
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 300
Default Re: Tune name, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip01 View Post
QUOTE from PipePlayr

"It's actually two tunes. The first being "Closer Walk with God"
and the second being "I Need Thee Every Hour"......
a beautiful old hymn that fits the pipes perfectly."


A "second" on this.

Hands down. That's what they are.
Thank you!!!
Bob Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:08 PM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 6,444
Default Re: Tune name, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gerard View Post
Can someone help me with the name of the tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2W8Zy6JQ_A

I hope this is the correct section to post this request!

the first tune is named 'Martryrdom' ; it is on the Supreme Champions Dysart & Dundonald PB LP from ca. 1975 (?) ; it is followed on that LP by 'I Need Thee'.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
Bob Gerard
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 300
Default Re: Tune name, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
the first tune is named 'Martryrdom' ; it is on the Supreme Champions Dysart & Dundonald PB LP from ca. 1975 (?) ; it is followed on that LP by 'I Need Thee'.
Bingo! That's the album I heard it on. Thanks el gaitero
Bob Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Silver Sponsor

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:04 AM.