Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #11
Ron Teague
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: when to say farewell....

Well, it all depends on what is important for you. If piping alone is sufficient then there are a lot of options such as reel pipes or epipes. If playing with a band is important then you could check with the P/M to see if you are still making a contribution. Perhaps you MIGHT need to opt out for competitions but still play in concerts and parades OR you could become a drummer. I know a guy who was a piper but had to give it up and moved to becoming a tenor drummer as he loved the band so much. His band was a grade 1 band and he helped out with the tenor drum for years. As we age, I never recommend that we give up what we love. 'Do not go gentle into that good night'.

The Cheesy Piobaireachd Player
Ron Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #12
johnsog
Forum Regular

Yes, do keep on playing!! You still have a lot to offer the group. A few years ago a member of ours was diagnosed with a rare, progressive debilitating muscle disease. She continued to play as long as she could. She couldn't march with us but could still do standing performances with us for a while. What was really helpful was that, after playing became too much for her to do even with corking drones, she would sit away from our group during practices and give input on our sound. Knowing the pipes as she did, her critiques were very valuable. Good luck to you!!
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #13
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bolt View Post
A band member lasted to 86 and it might have been more the 80k drive that made him quite. Another member is still going strong at 86 and looks 70 something and seems to have no problems.

So having said that not having the oomph to play is one thing but has anyone found something other than Ibuprofen that's natural and that actually works for pain?
I don't have arthritis, but I have had tendonitis in the right hand before (repetitive stress -- luckily it didn't turn into carpal tunnel) and I kept using the various creams on the market until I found a couple that seemed to help -- the ones with methyl salicylate (sp?) or it's relative, (something or other) salicylate. Capsaicin cream also helped but it will burn at the first few applications and you don't' want to touch your eye after applying it.

Every now and then if I am not careful at the computer the tendonitis can flare up a little -- I use the creams. And half an ibuprofen if needed.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:24 AM   #14
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: When to say farewell....

I'm 61 and I too see a diminishing of speed in my fingers.

With bands, I need to stick with Grade Four because my fingers can't handle the higher-level music.

Parades, I'm done with those. Massed Bands are not too bad yet, but soon I may have to give those up

Happily no problem blowing the pipes, no problem with arthritis, yet.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:11 AM   #15
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: When to say farewell....

I'm 62 and yes, my fingers are not as nimble as they once were. I started learning at age 26 and this September will mark my 36th anniversary of my bagpipe journey. Was fortunate to have access to quality instruction over the years, particularly the years that ED Neigh and Reay Mackay came to Texas to teach. Only wish that I had started as a boy with those two. Recently, I joined a new competitive pipe band near by and that, along with the numerous gigs I keep getting makes me put in the practice time to keep the instrument going.

As long as I can blow tone I will keep on keeping on. The OP didn't mention what type of band he plays with, and that can make a huge difference. The key to success is a well set up instrument, complimented by a good practice ethic. Also, a respect for the music, no shtick for me!

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote