Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #11
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Ear protection recommendations for the band circle

FWIW I've known a number of pipers, who by the time they hit age 60, had lost a lot of their hearing because they played all those years without any ear protection. I started using the Etymotic ER-20 ear plugs years ago for that reason, and I can hear better with them to tune my bagpipe. No matter what type of ear plugs you choose, you are protecting your hearing by using them, period.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #12
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post
FWIW I've known a number of pipers, who by the time they hit age 60, had lost a lot of their hearing because they played all those years without any ear protection. I started using the Etymotic ER-20 ear plugs years ago for that reason, and I can hear better with them to tune my bagpipe. No matter what type of ear plugs you choose, you are protecting your hearing by using them, period.

Cheers -

Wes
Second. I'm far from 60, but I can tell the difference between my right and left ears. I use the ER-20s as well, but used to use only one - in my left ear. I'd leave the right ear unplugged when not playing in the band. Cut forward 20 years: while I can still hear fine in my right ear, I have a hard time hearing higher harmonics with it when I'm tuning. If I plug one ear or the other, the difference is more noticeable. No question custom molded musicians earplugs are stellar, but the Etymotic Research earplugs are still great - best earplugs I've found at the lower end of the price range.
Mainebagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #13
snomingo
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I use a pair of "LiveMusic Hear Safe" brand earplugs, which claim the highest noise reduction rating I could find for the silicon flange style of earplugs. For under $30, it comes with 2 sets of earplugs, one rated at 23dB and the other at 29dB. My only complaint is that the stem is not long enough, so you have to use them with the included cord; otherwise it's hard to grip them to get them in or out.

https://www.amazon.com/LiveMus-HearS...afe+live+music
snomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:09 PM   #14
alsrx
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

https://www.alpinehearingprotection....musicsafe-pro/

I have tried several brands; however, I am more comfortable with the Alpine MusicSafe Pro. They're comfortable to wear. They are great at reducing the decibels without sacrificing the sound quality so that I can still hear my tuning plus the pipe major's discussions.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:58 PM   #15
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

In a pinch, small wads of cotton, wet under hot water, will protect your ears.

It usually will stay in place, and reduce the noise level. Cotton is cheap enough.

I used it religiously when in a pipe band in the 80's, and in rock bands before and after that.

I use foam earplugs now, the kind you get at box stores and drug stores. Some fit better than others, and some last better than others.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:13 AM   #16
dsb0628
Forum Gold Medal

Prevention is better than the cost and benefits of trying to remediate.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #17
johnsog
Forum Regular

here's another vote for the custom ear plugs. They work very well and are perfectly comfortable, something I have not found with other OTC ear plugs.
While they are pricey, they fit perfectly and are the musician's ear plugs are designed so that decibel levels are cut equally across pitches. My audiologist says that other ear plugs are effective but don't filter out all tones equally. the custom ear plugs can be gotten with a variety of filter levels: 10, 15 and 25 dBs. I chose the last and am very pleased. One thing to consider: I chose to have mine in brown since that's my favorite color and I thought they'd be less obtrusive if i feel a need to wear them during a gig (small indoor space). They are challenging to find on dark carpets. Good luck!!
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:02 AM   #18
Phil Lenihan
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeitzsch View Post
As a drummer, Etymotic's rock! I've used the ER-20's for years.

Amen, use E-20. They do came in at least two sizes. Cheers! Phil

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot
Another day with no plans to use Calculus
Phil Lenihan is offline   Reply With Quote