Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors
View Poll Results: What's your least favorite type of gig?
Funeral 1 1.89%
Wedding 24 45.28%
Parade 14 26.42%
Corporate/Club Party 14 26.42%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #11
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: What's your least favorite type of gig?

In descending order of loathing. From most loathed to least.

Weddings in the summer in the deep south are the worst of the worst due to the heat & humidity, often lack of shade and breeze as well.

Some parades aren't too awful as long as they are kept short. Again the Sun, Heat, and Humidity issues. As Mardi Gras themed parades are apparently a thing, unless you're riding a "Float" The walks become staggering death marches.

Corporate gigs, aren't really in the event planners programs down here in Hell's waiting room.

Funerals depends mostly on climatic conditions. Sunny Hot Humid Summers with long winded, don't know the meaning of brevity, ministers absolutely reek in more ways than one. Then there usually are those days with monsoonal rains and too humid to wear a mac, so you get soaked one way or another.

Favorite gigs are the several times yearly Law Enforcement Graduation Ceremonies. No marching involved. We form an open semi circle where we can watch the graduates march in, assume their positions and once in place we finish the tune. Face towards the exit and quietly file out. No muss, no fuss, no bother, and all in airconditioned comfort.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #12
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

The kind where half+ the band shows up bedraggled....kit untidy..wrong shoes,or misfit spats, flashes askew left right and sideways,.headgear worn out faded, scruffy unkempt ribbons ..but 2 dozen hat pins,.. kilts hanging down below knee caps, hose up to the knee caps like 1960’s Bermuda shorts banlon sox, sporrans way too long,high, tight ,loose, ..

...and those who should say something,, DM, PM,, PS,.. ..don’t.

...poor playing is one thing....but it’s a no brainer to dress uniformly smart.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #13
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
The kind where half+ the band shows up bedraggled....kit untidy..wrong shoes,or misfit spats, flashes askew left right and sideways,.headgear worn out faded, scruffy unkempt ribbons ..but 2 dozen hat pins,.. kilts hanging down below knee caps, hose up to the knee caps like 1960’s Bermuda shorts banlon sox, sporrans way too long,high, tight ,loose, ..

...and those who should say something,, DM, PM,, PS,.. ..don’t.

...poor playing is one thing....but it’s a no brainer to dress uniformly smart.
Not to mention the groom's party dressed in rental kilts put on backwards...and they saved a buck by not renting kilt hose, simply pulled regular white socks up as far as they would go.
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #14
johnsog
Forum Regular

I chose "corporate" though some of those are OK, too. I'm doing a second year playing for a Republican Party St. Patty's party. As a green party person, I felt some trepidation last year but it was fine and everyone was really nice, almost nobody bringing up politics.

The gigs I find the most uncomfortable are the ones where nobody really knows what they want when they call you but, when you arrive, several people have come up with ideas and they are all different. ARRRGGGHHH!! I wouldn't agree to do those without a nice paycheck!!
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #15
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Any gig where, after I'm done, I have to chase down the folks who hired me to get paid...or who try to stiff me!

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #16
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsog View Post
I'm doing a second year playing for a Republican Party St. Patty's party.
Perhaps you are referring to St. Pádraig/Patrick/Paddy?

I doubt Republicans were celebrating St. Patricia, but I could be mistaken. Was it on her feast day of August 25th?
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #17
Toxpert
Forum Regular

4th of July parades, long parades, in the Texas heat. So hot that the asphalt turned to soft goo under your feet; and the little cars (with big Shriners) locked up after just a few minutes. We would march and play for well over an hour...with roasted, blistered feet. The dehydration was debilitating.

Then there’s St Patrick’s Day festivities...
The parades were not bad. Bad happened when we split up to cover the small evening gigs in the bars. Green beer flying in the air and swirling green-tinged regurgitation land mines on the ground. Kilts and jackets had to be carefully peeled away and then off to the cleaners the next morning.
Toxpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #18
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Perhaps you are referring to St. Pádraig/Patrick/Paddy?

I doubt Republicans were celebrating St. Patricia, but I could be mistaken. Was it on her feast day of August 25th?
You beat me to it Patrick!

Yes here in the States loads of people celebrate St Patricia on March 17th. It's long confused me. Being biased as I am, because one of my middle names is Patrick.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #19
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxpert View Post
St Patrick’s Day...gigs in the bars. Green beer flying in the air and swirling green-tinged regurgitation land mines on the ground...
I must say that in 40 years of doing St Pat's gigs in bars/pubs I've never seen those things!

I've played solo in pubs where the conversation was so loud I couldn't hear my own chanter! And totally packed with people where you can't walk anywhere.

That's why I've done the same St Pat's evening gig now for around 20 years, playing at the same house party, a small quiet gathering of interesting people. I sit in the corner and play uilleann pipes, whistles, and SSP for a couple hours. Done by 9pm. No more late nights for me!