Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #11
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Default Re: Piping Books

Sorry I have made a typo, Its 'Last of the Free'

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Free-H...gateway&sr=8-1
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-17-2019, 10:39 PM   #12
Joseph Diodato
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
Sorry I have made a typo, Its 'Last of the Free'

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Free-H...gateway&sr=8-1
No worries! I made a typo myself. It's a shame that the edit button disappears have some short period of time. I suppose it makes sense -- there are some unsavory characters on the web!

My Piping Blog- A student's musings on learning the Great Highland Bagpipe.
Joseph Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:46 AM   #13
Matt Buckley
Forum Clasp

Traditional Gaelic Bagpiping, 1745 - 1945. John G. Gibson

Great, great read. Among other things, it addresses in detail myths like the banning of the pipes.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:31 AM   #14
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I enjoyed lots of the information found in
Pipers: A Guide to the Players And Music of the Highland Bagpipe by William Donaldson

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #15
Skyelark
Forum Member

Hey,

good thread. thanks!

Just read - A Piper's tale by Fergus Muirhead

Have Dance to the Piper by Barry Shears in my "next to read" pile.

Cheers!
Skyelark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #16
RichmondPiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Piping Books or Scottish culture books

A lovely book which is about a highland life that revolved around piping is Angus Macpherson's "A Highlander Looks Back".

That's Angus Macpherson, who, as the son of Malcolm (of the Macpherson style/school, tutor of John MacDonald of Inverness among others and whose bewhiskered face appears in various books including the Kilberry Collection), grew up totally immersed in piping, was piper to the Carnegies and later ran an hotel at Inveran (ie Mrs Macpherson of the tune). He is said to have attended every Northern Meeting from the 1870s until 1970. It must be out of print now (my copy was published in 1970 but the first edition was in about 1953) and might be a bit difficult to find but a second hand copy could be located. It will give you a real first hand account.

You might be interested in Seamus MacNeills "Masters of Piping" - totally piping focused but much more recent and probably available from the CoP/Piping Centre
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:25 AM   #17
Staggie
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Angus MacPherson's autobiography can be found online here...

https://archive.org/details/cu31924029811209

It may be a cultural or generational thing, but Alice does not get many mentions in the story of his life.
Staggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #18
Barry Shears

Both of Gibson's books have a lot of history and my new publication "Play it Like you Sing It: The Shears Collection of Bagpipe Culture and Dance Music from Nova Scotia (Vol. 1&2) adds considerable to John 's work filling in important details on several piping families such as the MacIntyres, MacNeils, and several others. Volume 1 concentrates on the history of many of these piping families , Chapter 3 "The Instruments"examines bagpipe making in Scotland with numerous photos of several immigrant bagpipes to NS, discussion on the local bagpipe making cottage industry including images of locally made bagpipes, Chapter 4 Language and music takes a look at the method of transmission of tunes within families highlighting the Puirt a Beul (mouth Music) and canntaireachd methods learning music. Volume 2 concentrates on the music and includes 249 tunes, 19 arranged for the violin but almost half of these can also be played on the pipes. Vol 2 also includes 0ver 85 puirt a beul for the tunes with English translations. As with all my book there are lots of photographs. Some have used in my other collections but there there are some recently discovered images which show several women pipers in NS at the turn of the last century further supporting the idea that, for many parts of NS, the bagpipe was not gender specific. Included in the collection of music is also a long forgotten tune genre known as the Strathspey Minuet complete with local sung words.
Lots to chew on check it out on my web site

cheers,
Barry
capebretonpiper.com
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #19
Joseph Diodato
Forum Member

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! I will compile a proper list soon that folks can edit and add to as needed. I'm sure there's many more wonderful piping books out there to be discovered!

Cheers,
Joe

My Piping Blog- A student's musings on learning the Great Highland Bagpipe.
Joseph Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:57 AM   #20
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Keeping in mind that much of the music we play is dance music, I recommend two books by George S Emmerson

Rantin' Pipe And Tremblin' String

Scotland Through Her Country Dances