Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-31-2019, 03:59 PM   #11
angusloch
Forum Member

Default Re: Retrospective apology?

They were probably very happy with the music they got. I would just let it go. But if you feel you need to, call them and ask them if they were satisfied with your performance. I bet they'll say it was great.
angusloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-03-2019, 07:22 AM   #12
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: retrospective apology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsog View Post
I'm not that well versed in what all can go wrong. I have extra reeds though it didn't occur to me to check that since I was so sure it was just a failing on my part.
Two things come with experience:

1) being "well versed in what all can go wrong"

2) knowing your own abilities.

Had you had the confidence in your command of the instrument that comes with experience, you would have looked to the instrument for the problem, and found it.

All in all a valuable experience for you! Next time you'll know.

BTW not only do I have a second chanter in the case, reeded up and ready to go, but I've learned to bring a second set of pipes, ready to go, to every gig. Sometimes it's a game time decision which set to use.

Another thing, IMHO if you're playing "background music" pipes set up for 466 (Concert B flat) are easier on everybody's ears and probably easier on the player too. There are many gigs where I end up mostly playing smallpipes.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:49 PM   #13
johnsog
Forum Regular

Thanks, all, for the great suggestions!! I did end up contacting them and fessing up. You were right, angusloch, they said it was great. I do keep spare reeds and also have a Bb chanter with accompanying drone reeds, which I will consider for the next time. I think one of the big issues is the "background" music part. When the piper stops to take a sip of water, launch into a different tune, etc., people can't help but notice. That interrupts their conversation and they feel they need to respond in some fashion. Also, since I'm not the most adept at troubleshooting my pipes, I felt it could take me quite a while to discover the culprit. I had played my pipes in church that morning and they were fine. That's one of the charms of the pipes: so much (or little) can happen so quickly with unhappy consequences. They are NOT for the faint of heart!! I do have new reeds on order and will keep the Bb parts with me next time. I will also offer that discount!! Blessings to you all
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #14
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: retrospective apology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
BTW not only do I have a second chanter in the case, reeded up and ready to go, but I've learned to bring a second set of pipes, ready to go, to every gig. Sometimes it's a game time decision which set to use.
2nd set of pipes is pretty extreme, but hey ... if it works for you, then GREAT! I do have more than one set, which is great in case, God-forbid, something were to break or something. But as for with me, on a gig, just the second chanter and a spare set of drone reeds does pretty well.

I was thinking back on a workshop I attended a few months ago. Many good things came out of it, but there were also quite a lot of strong opinions being thrown around.

In particular, the principal instructor stated that he doesn't believe in having a backup chanter. He went on to say that (paraphrasing) "if my car breaks down, I don't go to my garage and find that I have an extra Maserati there, waiting for me."

Interesting analogy to be sure, but I thought long and hard on it, and concluded that, well ... realistically, if my car breaks down, it goes to the shop ... and I snag a rental car so that I can scurry off to work as it gets fixed.

So if/when there's an Avis Rent-a-chanter around every other corner, I'll accept his methodology. In the meantime, I'm quite happy to have my "backup Toyota" in my pipe case.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:50 AM   #15
Anndrah
Forum Member

I keep a hot spare reed in my other chanter, as well as various other spares to get me up and running again in minutes.
Anndrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:45 AM   #16
johnsog
Forum Regular

I used to keep a good, broken in reed set aside for just such occasions but have been lax on that lately. Obviously I need to renew that habit. I think I also need to be less concerned about having to stop playing long enough to troubleshoot. I didn't feel comfortable leaving such a gap in the "background" music but it would have been preferable to poor playing. Again, one of the charms of the pipes...
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote