Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-12-2019, 02:08 AM   #11
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Default Re: Bagpipes and Gaelic

Bha mi ag ionnsachadh Gidhlig airson coig bliadhna agus tha mo clann bheagean ann an GME. Tha seo a' fgail gu bheil ag ionnsachadh deatamachd!!!

It definitely helps with certain idioms, the ones Barry has listed above. It helps you to add colour/light/shade and rhythm to the music.

OK, so its not 'required', and most of the music, most people play is not directly connected to Gaelic being mostly regimental tunes. But, it makes for an interesting siding to pass down and helps the language to thrive.

On a side note it has had a positive effect on other interests such as hill walking regarding hill names / place names. But also flags up the loss of so many local names and terms which I find to be uabhasach bochd.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #12
Barry Shears

Thanks for the feed back, very much appreciated . I suppose I am lucky (or unlucky) to have a had a Gaelic speaking grand mother. She didn't teach the language to her children since she was punished for speaking it in the school yard as a young girl, and the prejudice against the language carried through the generations. Still Gaelic could be heard on then lips of several older residents of the coal Mining town of Glace Bay, Cape Breton when I was growing up, and I used to take my parents to milling frolics around the island in the late 1970s and early 1980s. I discovered later that many of the well known bagpipes tunes (with English titles) , also had Gaelic words (usually Port a Beul). I listened to as much of this as I could to develop rhythm within the tunes especially dance music. The port a beul sung in Cape Breton is different rhythmically speaking and is not normally sung as " chopped" as the Scottish versions I hear today in many cases . I suppose this may be from over emphasizing the "Scotch snap" in song versions. The rounder style of singing is certainly reflected in the older style of bagpipe performance. When you include piobaireachd there is probably no other instrument which relies so much on the spoken (sung) word or vocable. Puirt a beul are not normally considered songs, more so as simple rhymes, and their context is usually humorous, satirical, sexual and very local and I have found identical words words can be sung to different melodies, or regional variants . I have found , in Cape Breton at least, the common threads are rhythms designed for step dance music.
A few thoughts
Barry
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #13
Army.Bagpiper
Forum Regular

I noticed not too long ago that The National Piping Centre was offering Gaelic Classes locally. I sent a comment to them that it would be great to have classes on-line, but there was no feedback from The Centre.

I would think that there would be some interest, but perhaps not enough.
Army.Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:03 AM   #14
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

If you are interested in learning online, the place to go is Sabhal Mr Ostaig - their ab initio course has three starts per year and is a solid, academic but practical introduction to the language. It is famous for being hard work, but productive.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:16 AM   #15
Barry Shears

I took courses through Ulpan a few years ago and that was very helpful, Atlantic Gaelic Academy is also good. The latter is now under the umbrella of the Gaelic College in Cape Breton.
Barry
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #16
Army.Bagpiper
Forum Regular

Thank you!
Army.Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:58 PM   #17
Garry
Forum Member

Great discussion, although it's all beyond my ken. I too had a beautiful grandmother and grandfather who could speak it, and regret not asking them to teach me. Lots of people would pronounce Gaelic as "Gaylic" and I was always intrigued when my GP's pronounced it, sort of, as "Garlic". Cheers to all, Garry.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:48 AM   #18
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

While the original post is geared to the Scot's Gaelic I must say that one of my good friends teaches Irish. I have wanted to take the course but am too lazy in my old age.
Dave Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #19
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Great discussion, although it's all beyond my ken. I too had a beautiful grandmother and grandfather who could speak it, and regret not asking them to teach me. Lots of people would pronounce Gaelic as "Gaylic" and I was always intrigued when my GP's pronounced it, sort of, as "Garlic". Cheers to all, Garry.

Bit of a broad generalisation, but "gaylic" is more of an Irish pronunciation and "gaalic" a Scottish one, at least within the language.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:35 AM   #20
DCampbell
Forum Regular

I took up Gaelic more out of interest in the language rather than to support my playing. I was lucky in grad school in the 80's to get to know Bill and Mae Nicolaisen. As I worked my way through MacKinnon's book. Bill gave me some basics in pronunciation. Out of school I got a one way ticket to Scotland. While there I spent about 7 weeks in the Outer Isles, four living with an older couple in Ness.

Am I fluent? Absolutely not. I can read some, and speak some. But while listening is enjoyable, I understand little. And anything I say is with a decided Lewis twang.