Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-14-2019, 06:37 AM   #1
Herb
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default First time in Scotland

Travelling to Scotland first of June. Staying mainly in Edinburgh. looking for a shop pipes related.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
Joseph Diodato
Forum Member

Default Re: First time in Scotland

I hope that the National Piping Centre is on your list of places to check out!

My Piping Blog- A student's musings on learning the Great Highland Bagpipe.
Joseph Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #3
Imagineer
Forum Regular

Try to visit Sinclair bagpipes http://www.sinclair-bagpipes.co.uk/?COLLCC=3417609851&

Don
Old 05-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #4
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hi all,

And Killberry on St Marys street half way up or down the Royal mile!

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings, Herb,

I trust that you shall have a roarin' grand time of it!! :)

My last time in Glasgow... and going to the old CoP
(well, it's not that any more, but you know what I mean)
the driver...had a bit of a slog... in the finding of it!! :)

As the old CoP sign was down... and the NPC sign
was up...somehow... just didn't feel... th' same... but...
most of the same folk were still there... and it's still a
grand place... to be!! :)

When in Glasgow... two... matters are of preeminent
importance!!

The first is... to take a taxi(!!)... for where ever you may
wish to go... (for they, too, have "The Knowledge") and the
next is... to be patient...with both your drivers... and the traffic!! :)

You will get there!! :) Just sit back... have a bit o' chat... relax...
and enjoy the ride and the view!! (There are also grand places
to... actually walk about...if you have a mind... :)

Alas... I didn't make it to the new NPC... maybe next time... :)

Enjoy yourself!!... and bring back... those pipes!! :)

All the Best!!

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 05-14-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:05 PM   #6
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

We did the Grand Tour and spent a month driving but prior to that we spent 3 days in glasgow and 3 in Edinburge but I really liked Glasgow and that's were we came from 120 years ago. We did plan our whole trip around the worlds and that was an awesome start to the trip. A funny note was I was walking down the street one night 3 sheets to the wind and I heard piping so I walked into a club that was really a big house and listened to some great piping and had many beers and realized a year or so later I was at the famous Eagle pipers!

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:43 PM   #7
Loud-one
Forum Member

Not to hijack your thread but, I am going there as well in June a few days after you .
Old 05-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
dsb0628
Forum Gold Medal

Returned this week from Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, the Orkney Isles. Previously, visited the Piping Center Museum. In Edinburgh this time visited Kilberry Pipes, a storefront, had a pleasant 15 minute conversation with a high school "apprentice"? about the pipe making process with him explaining and pointing out the tools. This is a small operation. Visited Bagpipes Galore, which is also a music shop for other musical instruments, a small operation. He had a small area where he was finishing multiple PCs. Sinclair Bagpipes is in Leith, Edinburgh, didn't get there, possibly not a store front like the previous two, likely in the industrial park area in Leith? Next time I will email them and make an appointment about visiting. Other Edinburgh considerations: if inclined, walk the Leith Water Walk, the 3 1/2 miles or shorter sections, along the water canal that powered 70 mills in 1800s, take train 50 minutes by ScotRail, visit Stirling Castle, and had a brief stop at Stirling Bagpipes, a one person, small operation. General suggestion in Edinburgh is to visit the Tourist Information Bureau for maps of the city, suggested places to see, take time to ride the local buses, ride on the top front seats of the double deckers, ride the local trains, go to Rosslyn Chapel (DaVinci Code), walk through Prince's Street Park, see my favorite statue, "The Call 1914", and the associated frieze, a gift from the people of the US to Scotland, visit Stirling Castle, 50 minutes by ScotRail, (the Argyll/Sutherland Highlander's museum is Returned this week from Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, the Orkney Isles. Previously, visited the Piping Center Museum. In Edinburgh this time visited Kilberry Pipes, a storefront, had a pleasant 15 minute conversation with a high school "apprentice"? about the pipe making process with him explaining and pointing out the tools. This is a small operation. Visited Bagpipes Galore, which is also a music shop for other musical instruments, a small operation. He had a small area where he was finishing multiple PCs. Sinclair Bagpipes is in Leith, Edinburgh, didn't get there, possibly not a store front like the previous two, likely in the industrial park area in Leith? Next time I will email them and make an appointment about visiting. Other Edinburgh considerations: if inclined, walk the Leith Water Walk, 3 1/2 miles or shorter sections, along the water canal that powered 70 mills in 1800s, 50 minutes by ScotRail, visit Stirling Castle visit Stirling Castle, (the Argyll/Sutherland Highlander's museum is closed for re-hab), and had a brief stop at Stirling Bagpipes, a one person, small operation. General suggestion in Edinburgh is to visit the Tourist Information Bureau for maps of the city, suggested places to see, take time to ride the local buses, ride on the top front seats of the double deckers, ride the local trains, go to Rosslyn Chapel (DaVinci Code), walk through Prince's Street Park, location of my favorite statue, "The Call 1914", and the associated frieze, a gift from the people of the US to Scotland.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:42 AM   #9
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think you're going at a good time.

Edinburgh gets crazy when the Festival(s) get going! Though I love all that chaos and energy, it's packed with tourists (like me).

To avoid all that craziness April, May, and early June are nice. Though some things aren't open, or have reduced hours, if you go before Summer.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:56 AM   #10
Herb
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

thanks for the replies. This trip is a birthday present from my family, being taken by 3 sons and a gaggle of grand kids. Checking out Langholm area where grandfather came from. I play with the Grimsby pipe band (Grimsby Ontario Canada) so looking to bring something pipe related back home.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote