Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #51
Thomas Grotrian
Forum Clasp

Send a message via AIM to Thomas Grotrian
Default Re: NYC Tartan Day

ha - is it really raining - damn, I didn't put my cape in my luggage (it is a heavy wool one and I was trying to save some weight)

nstattoo.ca ------ Tattoo Myspace
pipefest.com ------- Pipefest Myspace

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
Sir Winston Churchill
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #52
PiperKeith
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveland pd
You're all arriving just in time to enjoy our delightful early April wind and rain, as usual.
Hope you brought your Inverness capes!
Unfortunately, I can't remember a decent day for this parade in 10 years.

Keith
Old 04-04-2008, 06:51 PM   #53
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

I have fond memories of making the trek down from Boston and back to march in the Tartan Day parade, and may do so again. As it happens, I'm playing for a production of Brigadoon this weekend and next, so will not be able to join in the festivities. ( I'm rather partial to the Belhaven at St Andrew's rather than the Tennant's, but be that as it may).

The last time I marched, as the lone piper for a collection of small clan represenations, it stopped raining just long enough for the parade to go on, then the heavens opened up again. Right, Bill?
Old 04-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #54
Bill Gority
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Bill Gority Send a message via Yahoo to Bill Gority

Right you are Bob!

And don't forget the trip up the stairs to the nose bleed section of Connolly's afterward for the after-party! Next time I make that trek I'm bringing bottled oxygen and a Sherpa guide!

Watch this space for dates!
http://www.pipersgathering.org
Old 04-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #55
cleveland pd
Forum Member

Oh well, another Tartan Day has come and gone. There was little media coverage given to this event. Scanning the TV news shows revealed that the media preferred to cover the various Little League baseball parades instead of the Tartan Day parade.
It's time for the current organizers to rethink the whole event and perhaps their involvement as well. As presently constituted, we are witnessing the complete meltdown of a once noble idea.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #56
NJPiper
Forum Member

Quote:
Oh well, another Tartan Day has come and gone. There was little media coverage given to this event. Scanning the TV news shows revealed that the media preferred to cover the various Little League baseball parades instead of the Tartan Day parade.
It's time for the current organizers to rethink the whole event and perhaps their involvement as well. As presently constituted, we are witnessing the complete meltdown of a once noble idea.
I was flipping between all the NYC news at 11:00 last night looking for some mention of it,and did'nt see a thing. Unless you have some personal ties to the scottish comunitty you would'nt even know it happened.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:23 AM   #57
Magnus
Forum Regular

Quote:
I think someone is missing the point. Would suggest watching less TV - if you have a set of pipes it is taking part that counts.

If however you are worried about the chance of a few drops of rain it is understandable that you have spent the weekend nailed-up indoors hopelessly flicking through channels.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:57 AM   #58
cleveland pd
Forum Member

What is it about some Scots that they have little foresight when it comes to organizing events. They never seem to factor the weather into the equation, nor do they think it should matter.
Tartan Day in NYC?, oh yes, let's hold in early April, perhaps the worst time of year here for wind and rain. February would be drier!
The Worlds? Guaranteed to be a deluge and dear Lord don't we all enjoy slogging through the mud after travelling thousands of miles.
The Scottish people I know are all absolutely sun deprived and would welcome a trip to somewhere warm. Why not give them a good reason to make the journey here other than the lights of Times Square?
You are having trouble attracting bands and individuals here as well because it is too close to St. Patrick's Day.
Here's a suggestion. Start looking inward and realize that the event is headed into the toilet via the express train unless changes are made. You might start by scheduling it in June.
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Old 04-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #59
Magnus
Forum Regular

Not a watertight theory - sunny and dry last two parades.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:12 AM   #60
Ron Abbott
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
What is it about some Scots that they have little foresight when it comes to organizing events.
Perhaps you should consider giving that insight to your own president.....it's called Iraq