Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #61
Bill Gority
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Bill Gority Send a message via Yahoo to Bill Gority
Default Re: NYC Tartan Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveland pd
Tartan Day in NYC?, oh yes, let's hold in early April, perhaps the worst time of year here for wind and rain. February would be drier!
Um........ while I wasn't in NYC this past Saturday, my friends who live there and were either in or watching the parade assured me that the weather was dry, sunny and subjected to comfortably mild temperatures.

Thesis, antithesis, synthesis.............

Watch this space for dates!
http://www.pipersgathering.org
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #62
cleveland pd
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gority
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cleveland pd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Tartan Day in NYC?, oh yes, let's hold in early April, perhaps the worst time of year here for wind and rain. February would be drier!
Um........ while I wasn't in NYC this past Saturday, my friends who live there and were either in or watching the parade assured me that the weather was dry, sunny and subjected to comfortably mild temperatures.

Thesis, antithesis, synthesis............. </div></div>

It was also poorly attended and the numbers continue to dwindle year after year.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #63
tchev
Forum Regular

Hey,it was a beautiful day and it was great to see old friends and make new ones and for those who bitch about organization.... as they turned the corner of 43rd st. The Red Hot Chili Pipers moved themselves from 18th position up the side of Pipe bands marching up 6th av. and wedged themselves in behind the Naval Academy Pipes and Drums in the very front of the Parade. I found it disrespectful. You can organize all you want if people decide to do what they want the whole thing can get screwed up.... But all in all great day &amp; a great crowd.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #64
Thomas Grotrian
Forum Clasp

Send a message via AIM to Thomas Grotrian

Well I had a fantastic time. Nice weather and good company. Well worth the trip. Thanks to the guys from the Corrections Band for looking after me and my better half.

nstattoo.ca ------ Tattoo Myspace
pipefest.com ------- Pipefest Myspace

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
Sir Winston Churchill
Old 04-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #65
cleveland pd
Forum Member

[quote=tchev] The Red Hot Chili Pipers moved themselves from 18th position up the side of Pipe bands marching up 6th av. and wedged themselves in behind the Naval Academy Pipes and Drums in the very front of the Parade. I found it disrespectful.

Yes, I saw that as well. They seem to have become a bit full of themselves lately, I heard others remark that they think they are the stars of the event. I hope there was a better expalantion for that maneuver other than hubris.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #66
PiperKeith
Forum Regular

It was a fantanstic day; best we've had, weather-wise (I'd say). We ended-up at O'Lunney's, played a few tunes, ate, drank, and a good time was had by all.

Keith
Old 04-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #67
John Buchanan
Forum Silver Medal

Oh, forget it.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #68
MasonPiper
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to MasonPiper

This was my first time participating, the weather was perfect, I had a GREAT time. And unless I'm going insane, this parade looked like the biggest one yet, def. a lot more viewers on the sidelines than in the past.
.............Paul
Old 04-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #69
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Well, I wouldn't say the parade escaped media notice entirely. Prairie Home Companion was in NYC this past Saturday, coincidenatlly had Jean Redpath and Phil Cunningham performing. Jeannie Redpath commented on the parade , especially on the effect of dozens of bands all playing Scotland The Brave along the route, in effect playing it as a round.

I've done the parade twice, once with Lyon College (Thanks, Jimmy and Kenton, I had a blast, would do it again if you'd have me) and once solo accompanying a group of waifs and strays from several clan associations in 2006 on a warm but rainy day. That day, I heard nine bands in a row start off playing "STB", so I played only 6/8s for the whole route, repeating only two near the reviewing stand. On the way back I played for a crowd of tourists at Carnegie Hall (not IN Carnegie Hall), then played a set back at St Andrews where patrons stuffed my pockets with enough tips to cover my supper and a new watch before I grabbed the bus back to Beantown. I' have gone this year if I didn't have a paying gig in a production of Brigadoon.

Anyone up for a band of borderpipes next year?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:37 AM   #70
Stuart Cassells
Forum Member

For Tchev and Cleveland PD,

We were in no way meaning to be disrespectful or being full of ourselves.
We were employed by the Scottish Government for the whole event and we were told to accompany the Scottish Government delegation down the parade. There seemed to be some confusion as to where the government delegation and First Minister should be in the parade. We were at the front at the beginning then someone asked us to moved further back - which we duly did. Then just as the parade started someone else asked us to move back up to the front along with the government delegation where we should've been in the first place. Rather than run up the side - we played ourselves up to the place where we should've been.
There was no disrespect or showboating - just confusion amongst the organisers of the event and we were just trying to keep everyone happy.
Hope that explains it.
Stuart
R H Chilli Pipers